Humorous Allusions to Actors' Previous Roles

and oddly enough, in the remake - the likeness is uncanny!

Now that another thread has reminded me, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back has tons of these. Among them:

• Jason Biggs and James Van der Beek discussing American Pie/Loser/Boys and Girls and Dawson’s Creek

• Mark Hamill referring to himself as a Jedi master

• Ben Affleck talking about Good Will Hunting and Phantoms

• Ben Affleck and Matt Damon reprising their roles from that movie in a parody sequel, which includes them mentioning Dogma, Reindeer Games, and Bounce

In The Men Who Stare at Goats, George Clooney describes what a Jedi warrior can do, and Ewan McGregor asks “What’s a Jedi warrior?”

In this Justice League cartoon, Mark Hamill, playing himself, is kidnapped by the Joker and the Trickster. He distracts them by imitating both of their voices. Of course, Hamill is the voice artist for both characters.

Also, the Trickster mentions Corvette Summer, which is one of Hamill’s previous films.

Hamill also voices Swamp Thing, who shows up at the end.

And Family Guy did a Marvelous Mrs. Maisel reference, too. A cutaway gag had Stewie in the Gaslight Club with Susie, saying something like “Why can’t we get an Emmy?” Although I guess that’s technically a reference to her later role, since Borstein was on Family Guy first.

In 30 Rock, Alec Baldwin plays Jack and is introduced to Ryan: “Ryan, Jack. Jack, Ryan.” Alec of course played Jack Ryan in “The Hunt For Red October.”

An episode of Eureka involved going to Global Dynamic’s morgue. Taggart (Matt Frewer) utters this line just before opening the door: “You want every single second.” Which was his last spoken line in Dawn of the Dead (2005).

There’s another allusion in that scene as Charlie Sheen played the lead in Platoon, and the monologue he is giving (narrating what’s in the letter) is nearly identical to one in Platoon.

So, Charlie Sheen: Platoon. Martin Sheen: Apocalypse Now. Both at least superficially Vietnam War movies, both narrating the contents of documents (although I learned recently that it may actually have been Martin’s brother, Joe Estevez, narrating the documents in Apocalypse Now–anyway, its the character portrayed doing the reading all the same). The Sheens: Wall Street.

^ See post 195 as to the Sheens and Vietnam War movies.

The last few episodes of Doom Patrol feature a time traveler. In the most recent episode, someone sarcastically called her “Doctor Who.” The character is played by Michelle Gomez.

in an article, I read a few hours ago that originally the t-1000 was supposed to be played by rocker blily idol but his infamous motorcycle accident screwed up a lot of projects he was scheduled to do

“Idol eventually had a steel rod placed in his leg and recovered, but at the time the accident derailed his flourishing career. He was set to play villain T-1000 in Terminator 2: Judgment Day , but director James Cameron had to recast the role.”

Blockquote

Was just watching an episode of 30-Rock in which Alan Alda sees Tracy Morgan breaking down about a chicken and a baby and says, “A man crying about killing a chicken and a baby? I thought this was a comedy show.” A rather ham-fisted reference to Aldas role in the MASH finale.

The sitcom Just the Ten of Us (1988) had a line about “This looks like something out of Nightmare on Elm Street.”

The girl speaking was Heather Langenkamp, who starred in Nightmare on Elm Street part one (1984) and part 3 (1987). One of her co-stars on the sitcom was JoAnn Willette, who’d had a role in Nightmare’s part two (1985). Another of the co-stars was Brooke Theiss, who would go on to have a role in part 4 (1988).

In Duck Tales David Tennant does the voice of Scrooge McDuck. In the time travel episode he growls “I hate time travel.” One of Tennant’s previous roles being Doctor Who.
In a Justice League Action Episode Mark Hamill gets kidnapped by the Joker and The Trickster then gets rescued by the Swamp Thing. Hamill voiced all three characters in previous cartoons.

Not a show that I watch, but apparently in Succession (HBO) James Cromwell’s character said “That’ll do” to his grandson in an obvious allusion to his famous line from Babe.

Here’s Stephen Tobolowsky channeling his Groundhog Day role on Silicon Valley:

LOL. He should’ve repeated his name at least twice more, and a little more stridently, to really nail the gag.

Just thought of a new one: much of the plot of The Freshman is a reference to Marlon Brando’s role in The Godfather. Though he has a different name, Brando plays a character so similar that people in the film remark on the resemblance.

In yet another 3rd Rock episode, Lithgow’s character breaks up a garage band rehearsal to start ranting about the evils of rock and roll, a clear reference to his role in Footloose: