Humorous Allusions to Actors' Previous Roles

Here’s an obscure one that I almost posted in the “after a million viewings” thread, but then this thread popped up.

I caught Day for Night on TCM, which I’ve probably seen more than a dozen times. It’s the ultimate movie about movies. In it, Francois Truffaut, playing himself, is directing a movie, “Meet Pamela”, about a love triangle between a young woman, her fiancée, and his father. Jaqueline Bisset play the young woman. In one scene from the film within a film, she explains to her future mother-in-law how she and her son met. She was on vacation in Yorkshire with a friend, but the friend came down with chickenpox and she and a young man they had met continued on with their travels, and that’s how they fell in love.

Just a few years earlier, Bisset had a small part in the movie Two For The Road, in which Audrey Hepburn and Bisset are part of a chorale group touring Europe when they meet Albert Finney, a young architect just out of school knocking around France. He helps them fix their broken down van, they stay at an inn, and the entire group comes down with…chickenpox! All except Hepburn (Bisset is the last to succumb), who then joins Finney, which kicks off their love/hate story. Bisset’s part consists of no more than 3-4 scenes in Two For The Road, but Day For Night was, in many ways, her breakout role as a serious actress.

Given Truffaut’s encyclopedic knowledge of film, I don’t think the two story lines are coincidental. In fact, given that Meet Pamela is obviously a hackneyed potboiler, it could be a sly dig at Stanley Donen’s film as well.

Maybe not exactly humorous, exactly, but it reminded me of this thread.

I was just watching The Diplomat on Netflix, and Ambassador Wyler (Keri Russell) makes a comment along the lines of “It’s not like we smuggled his [the Iranian ambassador’s] body out in a suitcase.” In her previous role as a Soviet spy on The Americans, Russell’s character did smuggle someone’s body out of a hotel in a suitcase.

Captain Dylan Hunt finds a familiar sword (and wig) on Andromeda.
Andromeda Hercules reference (youtube.com)

In the 2023 comedy No Hard Feelings, middle-aged father Laird complains that his 19-year-old son Percy isn’t cutting loose and having fun like he did at Percy’s age. Laird is played by Matthew Broderick, who famously did exactly that in the role of Ferris Bueller.

I’ve seen some new ones of these recently, but can’t remember them. Except for this one (post copied from another thread)

I’ve started watching a body-swap movie called Family Swap. It isn’t great so far, but you really gotta respect this bit of lampshade hanging. One character is googling for body swapping on her cell phone. This conversation takes place among the four family members:

Any luck?

No. This is a completely unique and original situation that has literally never happened before.

Right? I mean, no kid has ever just woken up big.

Yeah, it’s so freaky.

You’re telling me. I’m 17 again.

I’m 13 going on 30.

(That last line was said by Jennifer Garner.)

After wracking my brain I remembered another one I saw recently that reminded me of this dormant thread. A couple of weeks ago for reasons I rewatched the Happy Days episode with Mork. It references The Andy Griffith Show.

You might want to check out post # 26.

:grinning:

In my defense I didn’t mention the wig the first time.
And my memory is shot.
And I didn’t mention the wig the first time.
:smile:

Isn’t your memory shot?

It appears that no one has mentioned https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWa9yppZxiI yet.

The Cunningham adults also watched “The Music Man.” Says Mrs C:
“That little boy looks just like Richie at that age”.

Having recently finished watching The Good Place, I don’t think that scene fits the topic of this thread. Yeah, it’s got Ted Danson’s character tending bar, but there’s no nudge-nudge wink-wink intimation that this is in any way connected to his previous role on Cheers. In fact, I think the writers went out of their way to avoid any implication that it was a humorous reference.

Remembered another one. In an episode of Animal Control, Apr 8, 2023 · In Animal Control (2023), Joel McHale insists that his mangled pronunciation is correct because he took Spanish in community college.

I forgot about this reference to an actor’s previous TV commercials.

Sharon Maughan was in the successful 1987-1992 series of TV commercials for Nestle Gold Blend coffee (branded Tasters’ Choice in the USA) with Anthony Head.

She was in the Inspector Morse episode Deceived by Flight (1989), so the writer mischievously gave her character the line, “Coffee! Ugh! I hate coffee. It gives me a headache”.

Tasters’ Choice version

Gold Blend version

I keep meaning to check out Animal Control, but haven’t seen it yet. Let me know if they ever dress him up like Braveheart.

I wonder if Virginia Christine was cast as Mrs Olson in the Folger’s commercials because she played Immigrant Eva in Billy the Kid Vs Dracula, or if it was the other way around.

Reminds me of that scene in Babylon 5 where Billy Mumy and June Lockhart pass each other in the hall and totally ignore each other.

Something of a meta-example from Very Bad Things: while trying to cover up an accidental death, Christian Slater’s character is asked “Have you done this before?” Ten years earlier, in Heathers, Slater played a character who covered up another accidental death - and was asked the same question.

IIRC Mumy begged JMS for a scene with Lockhart, even just standing in the background.

Has anyone mentioned The A-Team? in the introduction Dirk Benedict is on a movie lot and a guy in a Cylon outfit walks by. He gets a puzzled look on his face.