Hungry and Crabby

I quit smoking about three weeks ago. Went from a pack a day to zero cigarettes a day in .005 seconds. So, the massive urge to smoke isn’t so much there (though it still comes and goes) but I have been eating everything that is even vaguely edible.

Last night for dinner, I’m feeling lazy so I make Tuna Helper. I take a large portion, the girlfriend takes a small portion. I eat my plateful plus three slices of bread, then empty the rest of the bowl of it, then proceed to eat some of hers. Then a half hour later, I eat a large can of fruit cocktail. Then about 45min later, it’s three hotdogs. Then a bag of pretzels. Then half a block of cheese. And it’s like this every single freaking night.

I’m thinking it’d be cheaper on my grocery bill just to start smoking again.

“I guess it is possible for one person to make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

Jophiel, you sound like me. But I’m pregnant. Are you? :wink:

Seriously, though, I can sympathize. Although I still smoke (I know, bad Cristi! Bad! Bad!), I cut waaaaaay back, and I started eating like you say you are. I substituted King-Size Payday candy bars for smokes. They’re great, but I packed on some serious poundage early in the pregnancy.

Have you tried chewing gum, or sugar-free hard candy? Those really can help. Best of luck to you!!

I’ve never been a smoker but I have eaten more than my share at times. I do better if I substitute rather than try to limit. If I eat a whole bunch of carrots I don’t feel as bad as if I ate a whole bunch of Oreos. Keep lots of fruits and veggies handy and drink lots of water.

And remember that not smoking and being a little overweight is healthier than smoking.

Good luck!

“Finally, consider Kottke’s voice which sounds like geese farts on a muggy day.”
Leo Kottke
6- And 12-String Guitar

Oooh… can we say “oral fixation”?

How about these low-fat alternatives:
Nail-biting
Straw-chewing
Ice-munching
Tooth-grinding
Seriously, though… you’ve come a long way baby! (Um, I wasn’t referencing Virginia Slims… not at all…) Gum, hard candy, dried fruit, WATER, and licorice are some things that will keep that mouth busy and satisfy the rumbly in your tumbly. (As far as keeping your mouth busy… you did mention a girlfriend, right? You could practice keeping her around… ::wink, wink, nudge, nudge: :slight_smile:

Veni, Vidi, Visa … I came, I saw, I bought.

After I quit cigarettes, I started smoking cigars. Almost everyone around me says it’s an even nastier habit. Nah, my apartment doesn’t smell like an ashtray anymore (cigars put out a lot more smoke than cigarettes, to keep the place from getting too hazy I smoke outside). I noticed a change in my appetite too, though I’m back to what passes for normal now.

I’ve quit at least 4 times and am gearing up to do it again. Congratulations and stay with it!

Given that I’m still smoking, I’m probably not the best role model around but the times I’ve quit it’s really helped to do the oral fixation things. I hate gum, but Tic Tacs helped, Altoids are great, and try sucking on whole cloves. They’re cheap, they’re organic, your breath is so fresh peopel will follow you around just like all those stupid commericals…and you won’t feel like eating as much. Why? Because cloves are so intense in flavor everything you eat will taste like cloves.

Exrtrapolate…clove Tuna Helper?

Also, the only way I kept from gaining weight was to consciously fill my plate before eating and that was it. No seconds even considered. Since the after eating time is a KILLER, it also helped to immediately do the deep breathing thing and get away from the table. If I got busy, fast, doing something else the urge to eat and smoke faded faster.

Hang tough. I’m going to kick this before the end of the year, so expect a lot of moaning and probably irritable posts.

Congratulations!!

Veb

Jophiel –

Way to go, dude. One word…

fat-free pudding.

Well, that’s two… and one’s hyphenated, but it’s still great. Eat two or three cups and those bad boys sit in your stomach for hours. When I quit, (have since relapsed, but that’s me) I was eating everything the books said was good. Didn’t work. I just went for the chocolate.

Luckily this too shall pass. Keep it up.

Chris –
Excellent Winnie the Pooh reference… for a little black rain cloud!

Thanks everyone :slight_smile: I’m not so worried about weight. I’m 6’1" and weigh perhaps 140lbs, so a few extra pounds would probably only be a good thing. However…

Fruit Cocktail: 1.00 Hotdogs: .75
Pretzels: $2.00
Cheese: $2.00

Comes up to $5.75 (not counting the Tuna Helper since it was dinner). Be cheaper to spend the $3.25 on a pack of Marlboro Lights. Oh well…

“I guess it is possible for one person to make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

Jopheil

You are 6’1" weigh 140# AND have a girlfriend. We all hate you :slight_smile:

Hey, I quit 9 days ago myself, for the 3rd time! This is it though, I can feel it.
My favorite food is pumpkin seeds in the shell. Very satisfying for the oral fixation. You can eat them for hours and you’ve still only eaten, well, not very much. Find something you can eat that takes some time, it will slow you down.
Here’s another delicious and low fat, relatively, treat. You slice pita breads into pie shape pieces, separate, spread them with garlic butter and bake at 400 until golden to darker brown, you can also sprinkle with parmesan, let cool and devour. Cheap and yummy, and tasty and low fat-ish, and crunchy. Everything a reforming addict is craving for.
I am thinking of taking up a needlework project next.
You’ll need something to keep your hands busy too.