Hunting down this still of a Dick Van Dyke scene

I have no idea if anyone has ever done a grab of this scene but I distinctly remember a shot of Dick Van Dyke, which I am pretty sure was from the old Dick Van Dyke Show, where he was on a street corner trying to avoid being noticed. He had his back to the camera and wrapped one hand across the front of his neck and around to the back of his neck, and the other hand across his torso and around to his side. From behind this gave the impression that someone was embracing him and kissing.

I have never seen this gag done by anyone else and have been unable to google it up. Anyone even remember what I am talking about?

I’ve seen other people do it, even IRL.

Saw it in one of the early James Bond films.

I think Bugs Bunny did it too.

I think it was also in the opening credits to ‘Happy Days’

It’s a standard gag and has been done probably hundreds of times.

Ah, well then. Not so unique. I would nonetheless be looking for a photo of someone recognizable doing this (I would settle for Bugs Bunny :slight_smile: ).

Like this? I googled self hugging and went to images…

I came in here to mention the opening credits of “Happy Days.” I tried to search youtube for “Ralph Malph” but there are just too many of 'em.

I saw this distinctly in Diamonds are Forever, done by Sean Connery. You may be misremembering, or maybe the Bond film copied the DvD joke.

I remember just one scene like this in TDVDS, but he was demonstrating it for Buddy and Sally in the office, and he was wearing white gloves. No idea what the episode was, though, and I haven’t seen it recently.

There are some DVD episodes at YouTube and at www.tv4u.com. I think I saw that episode at one or the other.

The episode is titled “Sally and the Lab Technician”. It was filmed on July 5, 1961, and first aired on October 17, 1961. The episode is available on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fno3mqNBMn4), and the scene in question occurs about four minutes into the show.

Wow, that’s close.

Damn… Mary Tyler Moore was damn hot.

Carry on.

Amazing! :eek: Thanks for finding this. :slight_smile:

There’s at least one interview with her and DVD on YouTube (I think it’s with Johnny Carson). She lied about her age to get the part of Laura Petrie because she was afraid Carl Reiner and Dick would think she was too young to play Rob’s wife. (IIRC, she was 21 and he was 32 at the time.)

If you go to www.tv4u.com and watch the “Steve Canyon” episode where they fly to Puerto Rico on an Air Force exercise, she has a walk-on in the last 30 seconds of the show. She’s on screen for less than five seconds, but is immediately recognizable. I wasn’t really paying attention the first time I watched it, and I still spotted her right away. (She’s listed in the credits as “Mary Moore.”)

If I’m not mistaken, Jerry Paris (Rob and Laura’s next door neighbor) is in that episode as well, playing Steve’s best buddy.