[hysterical female adolescent screaming]O-Town! O-Town! O-Town!

quote:

Originally posted by Cumber
'Nother one who thought of Rocko’s Modern Life here.

Posted by Lunatic13

Here’s one more. And I’m sorely dissapointed.

Add another to the list of dissapointed readers.

Heifer:::sniffling and crying:::“I’m a glutton!”

“How’s that taste, Grandpa?”
“It taste like wolf spit!”

and the ever classic…
“Turn the page, wash yer hands”

I totally agree with ya. Seeing Jacob (the scary dreadlocked one) mentally traumatized me for life. There’s a [true] story that I posted somewhere up there about the “adventure” I had at one of their performances, if you didn’t read it already.

The only episode I remember is the one where they picked the final people that were gonna be in the band. There was only one left to be picked, and when they said Trevor’s name (he’s the other ugly one), he nearly shit his pants. I was very amused.

screech-owl
…Sentinel…
iampunha
Warn us before you use that word in a post! :wink:
screech-owl
Hanh? Did I miss a memo or something? Why? :confused: **
Sentinel is (was) a former SDMB bad boy, now banned. Some Dopers still start plucking their hair distractedly whenever they hear the name.

Okay, noted. Before my time.
Wouldn’t want to see people twitch.

Well, my guns are clean, anybody want to join me? I have enough for all.

O-town is an egregious example of “manufacturing” a pseudo-celebrity, or in this case a pseudo-celebrity group. But their function has not changed from that traditionally promoted by shrewd entertainment marketers for over a half century: to produce a young masculine phenomenon which a large proportion of the adolescent female population can “safely” gratify their libidos with – meaning that traditionally they are not supposed to have sex objects but can sublimate by being fans of young male celebrities that function in that role.

As has been noted before, the truly talented among those so marketed will survive.

Remark made by my father a few years before I was born: “No talent, just a young stud that the girls can go wild about. He’ll never last, that Sinatra.”

Some years later, it was Elvis, and then Dion – in all cases, along with forgettable types whom I’d name, but have mercifully forgotten.

Then Bobby Sherman and the Brothers Cassidy. “Where are the Leif Garretts of yesteryear?”

It’s been noted that Mark Wahlberg was originally in a boy-band. But he’s gone on to acting, and while I haven’t seen any of his movies, I’ve noted that he gets good-to-neutral reviews, not pans. There must be some talent there, other than for self-promotion. Anybody care to comment on how he did in “Boogie Nights” or “The Perfect Storm”?

And on it goes.

And I haven’t even gone back far enough, because I would have mentioned Rudy Vallee…quick, Ike, the smelling salts!! Eve’s fainted! :wink:

And my eight-year-old female colleague notes to me that Nick Carter’s twelve-year-old brother Aaron now has a CD out, and is being promoted for all he’s worth.

I can see today’s teens fifty years from now: that Jedediah Frobisher is just a flash-in-the-pan, not a good performer that will last, like Justin Timberlake was when we were kids. :slight_smile:

Donnie was also the psycho in the opening scene of Sixth Sense.

Darn, Rilch stole my fascinating trivia.

Hey, calm down all. For all we know, O-Town could become the next Monkees. If not, look for Eminem and Dr. Dre to make a rap about them.