I already go to a personal trainer 3 times week, what would I get out of adding yoga?

I’m a 55 year old male in good overall health. I’ve been going to personal trainer for the last year of so who works me like a rented mule via cardio and weights, and it’s going fine re slimming down and getting stronger. I have a ways to go to my weight goal but I’m halfway home. I’m reasonably strong, I mainly need to get the lard off and improve cardio capacity. My short term goals are to bench press 300 lbs and do 15 minutes at level 7 on the stepper by October.

Yoga intrigues me but I really don’t know what to expect. I’m pretty flexible so I think I can make some basic poses. The main thing is that it seems like a pretty static workout. I know holding poses can be quite stressful, but what kind of a workout is it really or is that even the point?

Also there is a “hot” yoga studio that just opened up.There seems to be a lot of different kids of yoga. Does it make sense to go as part of fitness regimen or should the goal be more relaxation / mediation centered?

IMHO, since you’re already working like a rented mule at the gym and apparently liking it, for you the benefit of yoga would probably be relaxation/meditation. Sure, it might help flexibility and maybe even a little bit of strength here and there, but compared to the rented-mule workout, it’s not going to do much at all for cardio or strength.

Which isn’t to say you shouldn’t try it and see if you like it, but I don’t think it would add much from a purely fitness point of view.

I think that mostly, it would be interesting. A real yoga course with a good instructor who has time to pay attention to each student and make sure you’re doing poses correctly is going to… well… make you do things that never happen naturally. They will teach you to use your own bones and muscles as resistance, and to stretch things that it’s very, very hard to stretch.

Like I said, it’ll be interesting.

It will help with balance as well as flexibility, and strengthen core muscles, too. I’d think of it as a complement to the more strenuous workouts you’re already doing.

This is the answer. I took up yoga about 5 months ago. I was already working out at he gym. It was free so I thought, why not?

It has helped a lot with flexibility and core strengthening. Also if your ideas about yoga come from still photography, you might find its not as static as you think. It also helps with relaxation. I’d have a hard time giving it up now.

Take your own mat (they’re super cheap) or you may get a free(!) case of pinkeye.

If you are up to nearing 300 lbs press, then you already saw your answer.

You’re strong enough in spades, but yoga is something you can do your whole life.

Technique. Flexibility.

Balance, coordination, centering, peace of mind. It looks like you’re past the point of doing yoga so that it can be a workout (which is great, particularly for those of us at a certain age).

That’s why I am in favor. I’m happy to do a full Lotus every day, since 18 or so, but the technique is IMHO very good for working with heavy loads every day. I don’t use free weights anymore – just cardio daily and lifting ad hoc whatever needs to be carried. But every single day I use things I learned from yoga about breathing and not stroking out.

I think your question has been answered already, but I just want to mention that there are a lot of different styles of yoga and what you get out of a class will vary a great deal depending on the style of yoga and the instructor. I’ve taken classes from six or seven different people over the past five years. Some teachers’ classes leave me sore for days, others are kind of dull (IMHO). Bottom line - if you don’t like the first class you go to, try another one before deciding yoga isn’t for you.

Personally, I’m not particularly motivated by being able to do more reps or lift more weights, but I am motivated by learning new skills, such as poses in yoga. What I get out of yoga is primarily the motivation to keep working on something!

FYI, at my old hot yoga school, it happened at least once a month that a big beefy dude would show up looking doubtfully at the skinny things and overweight grandmas… and he’d wash out after 15 minutes and have to leave.

Hot yoga is intense. You have to go smoothly and pace yourself. You cannot be macho, and in that sense it might be an interesting mental exercise. You can’t conquer it with effort, only with persistence. If you feel faint, sit down before you fall down. You can get up again later.

That aside, I don’t find that yoga whether hot or regular has any significant meditative aspect. I’m trying to figure out the poses and keep from falling over - in my local studios (mostly vinyasa) you’re constantly moving from one pose to the next unless it is specially labeled a gentle or slow class. It’s not as strenuous as, say, a kickboxing class, but it’s not just restful stretching. Even in a non-hot class, the heart rate goes up, the sweat starts flowing.