"I Am Not Your Friend."

I’d never wear “I am not your friend” on a shirt.

It is, however, embroidered across the crack of my ass.

:smiley: I’m cracking up here, I thought I was the only one who gets those. The look: I was talking to MYSELF, if you don’t mind…

There was a guy in college who took the desk next to me and started a conversation. Repeated next 4-5 sessions of that class, during which time I began to find him inane and I stopped speaking to him except in response to direct questions, and shortly even then. Next time I came a bit late and chose a seat apart from him. When he changed seats to be next to me, I changes seats to be away from him. You’d think that would do it. A few days later when he sat next to me and started talking, I found it necessary to say

::sigh::

Angel of the Lord, you can talk to me—what the hell were you doing last night with three males, a giraffe, and a six foot length of hose? I don’t care about the bowel movement, though.

I like this thread. I really hate it when this kind of thing happens. I have no problem nodding, saying, “hello” or, “Good morning” to people I pass on the street.

Sometimes, though, someone will see that I limp and start asking me all sorts of questions, delving into my personal life and then giving me advice on what I should do, where I should go and what medications I should try. People in line at the store, people I pass walking out of parking lots, you name it.

Then there are people at bars who blather at you about their own lives while you just want to enjoy a beer. I once sat there watching the news for about an hour and a half while this guy yapped at me about his life story and all the intricacies of his profession - this was at 5pm, so if the guy was drunk, he was hitting it too hard too early.

Gah.

You could try earphones (they don’t have to be on) and then say “Sorry!!! Learning French here! I’ll have to talk to you later”.

Then close your eyes and say phrases in french (or insert language of your choice here) in between french fries until he goes away.

Or…

Do you have friends or coworkers from your office? Explain the problem to them and then have them come with you for a few days then if he approaches say “sorry we’re sortof having a business meeting, later okay”? Then if he sees you alone, tell him that your “associates” are on their way.

Or…

Do you have an (or some) attractive friend(s)/coworker(s)? Bring her and let him know that you are “on a date” if he approaches.

Or…

Does he eat lunch at the same time every day? Try changing your lunch hour.

He’ll get the hint.

Hope these help.

Trouble is…those T-shirts would only work on the “normal” and friendly ones. Not on the obliviious to polite hints sort.

The oblivious sorts would be thinking (if they think) “Oh, but that doesn’t mean MeeeEEEee”.

I must give off “Stay the fuck away from me” vibes, because this doesn’t happen to me often. I’ll get the usual polite chatter, but for the most part, people leave me alone. I do know that some people attract the weirdos more than other. My husband gives off vibes that cause people to relay their most personal bits of information (may be the psychology degree) that no one ever shares with me.

Louis–you really don’t wanna know. Really.

[sub]We were on a scavenger hunt :eek:[/sub]

Hmm, I get the people coming up to talk to me a lot. I find making eye contact with them oftentimes gives you more control over the situation.

Like when someone asks you for money, I have found saying “Not today”, is a great response that will give the least resentment when met with eye contact.

As for people in a comic book shop, well, adults who still read comic books, are by and large of a certain socially inept subculture that pervades the internet, gaming shops and makes up 999 out of 1000 people in the SCA.

Erek

Ah, well in that case I hand out food. (I usually have apples, or protein bars in my car since I’m always on the go). Or, I have a little card that I made up on my puter that has the numbers of all the homeless help agencies in town.

I want to help, but I don’t want to take a chance on “enabling” a person who may have an addiction by handing them money with which to fuel their addiction.

By the time they look at it, I’m gone, and who knows? Maybe it will help someone. The food can’t hurt. And apples are cheap (plus I can “cheat” my way out of eating one of the damn things,argh).

It wasn’t just sex. The six of us made sweet love.

Of course, now Angel won’t return my phone calls… :frowning:

CanvasShoes: recently I had something happen to me where this guy was begging me NOT to give him money, but to buy him food. I ended up giving him money because I was not in the mood to be bothered. Then later I felt bad because maybe he was asking me to help him not buy some drug or something, by buying the food FOR him, so that he would have no choice but to sit and eat rather than go buy heroin. I pointed him to the pizza place across the street and said “Help yourself” and hopefully he screwed up the courage and did.

I don’t usually have food on me actually. The card is a good idea though. I give them money because I might not be enabling them, and even if they are a junkie they might just use it to buy food. Who knows?

Erek