I am really getting sick of important plot being given outside the film.

Intact? It’s a derelict shell of a building. Looks to me like it’s what’s left of a building that burned down several decades ago.

So… You’re really getting sick of something that happened in 1999 and then again 10 years later?
Or do you have any other examples?

If anything fits the OP, this movie does. The entire last portion of the movie just doesn’t give make any sense without knowledge of the plot of the book.

The opening scenes of Revenge of the Sith don’t make a lot of sense if you hadn’t seen the Clone Wars cartoon. You can sort of piece it together, but it’s unclear who Grievous is, why he wheezes nonstop, and why he kidnapped Palpatine in the first place. None of that gets any actual explanation in the movie.

It gets explained in the opening crawl. Just like in Episode 4 you don’t know anything about what’s happening except what’s in the crawl. You’re just dropped right into the action.
I have heard that the Tron sequel had a pretty good tie-in comic that helped flesh out the world a lot and made the movie more enjoyable.

I have the same complaint about TV shows. Battlestar Galactica was going along fine, then they had their “web only” episodes squeezed in before IIRC season 4 kicked off. I think a TV show should be a *TV show. *Sure, make episodes available On Demand or whatever and have web browser interfaces, but run the show on TV, too.

Two examples that sprung instantly to mind, if I had the spare time I’d compile a giant list.

In related annoyances a few years back website tie ins were all the rage, Stephen King’s Rose Madder has a missing chapter and a url for readers to go to a website to read it, that site is now gone. :mad:

I think its fairer to say the book and movie complement each other, in the sense that the book does a better job of explaining to your head what’s going on and the movie does a better job of explaining to your eyes what’s going on.

Are you sure? Rose Madder was published in 1995. The Internet barely existed in 1995.

I was wondering that, too.

Does it help?

Another example is probably “Donnie Darko”. Although the online stuff didn’t help that much. The biggest help was for anyone that was watching the movie in the theater or in some other venue that they couldn’t just freeze frame. There were some text pages that were only on screen for a second or so. At the online site, you could (eventually) read what they said.

How about the new reunion scene between Buttercup and Wesley in Princess Bride that you have to send away for from Harcourt Brace Jovanovich. Did it ever get published or is Kermit Shog still standing in the way?

I can’t imagine anything that could make that book worthwhile. The only reason I read it is because I was sick for 10 days and it was all that was left in the house I hadn’t read.

That was my thought too - the Netscape IPO was in mid-August of 1995 (which is my go-to date as to when the Internet first really became mainstream news.)

Having read the book, first edition, I don’t recall this at all. I do recall that it had a great opening chapter, then went downhill so fast it was like stuck in a black hole. :wink:

A couple of posts I’ve made on the subject:

Back in 2004 I said:

Then in 2006, the Battlestar Galactica reboot:

I did get broadband- fortunately, because it didn’t get better- 2009:

I thought the Japanese were doing this kind of crap well before that, what with things like .hack.

The only thing Star Trek doesn’t explain about Nero’s motivations is why he just sat on his ass for 20 years after killing Kirk’s dad. Actually it was in the movie but they took it out. The deleted scenes are on the DVD. He’d been captured by Klingons and spent the intervening time in prison.

Certainly no need for a comic to explain that he was driven mad by the destruction of his home planet and he’s come back in time to get revenge on those he blames.