I Am the Anti-Cafe Society. Just Ask Me A Question, I Will Get It Wrong. I Dare You!

I am going to do incredibly well on these (by my scoring method anyway). These are my honest and straightforward answers.

I have no idea but there must have been a power failure somewhere during one of them.

There are a bunch of these but they tend to be on the true life crime shows.

I had no idea someone could so many levels of things I have never heard of in such a short question.

Crap. I hope think I know parts of this one. Oprah promoted his book heavily but he lied in it.

I know he is from Rhode Island and is gay. I think it had something to do with a male child.

There are too many to count really. Most can’t pull it off but Billy Bob Thorton did well in Sling Blade.

Paris Hilton is a skank and I am not a skankropheliac so I blocked that tidbit from my mind as soon as I heard that such a thing existed.

I know this one as well. It was Tom Cruise ironically playing the role of Tom Thumb in a circus stunt to celebrate love.

I got a pretty good score on those but I wish I could have done better by avoiding old copies of magazines.

Not all humans like root beer. It is mainly an American drink but I just think it tastes great.

Oh shit, sometimes Cafe Society fans greatly underestimate their ability to confuse.

I think he once was. Now, he is just in the same state of mental decay all of will be at some point.

I never have personally but aviation is my thing. Sully was a true hero and pulled off an incredibly level-headed stunt. I watch those clips on the web all the time. My personal theory is that the plane was part of Cactus airlines and a cactus doesn’t need much water so it helped it float.

I do:

1. Cable box
  2. Microwave timer
  3. Volume control on my TV
  4. Much, much more

I am not sure what that has to do with this thread but it is a fact.

Almost any high school pep rally has a team that is Number 1 according to the cheerleaders. The other candidate is pee.

Do you think that it was a mistake for Elvis Presley to quit the Beatles and go out on his own?

On the show LOST, do you think Kate will end up with Jefferson or Steve?

What do all the blue lines mean in a baseball field?

Captain Kirk vs. Captain Mal Reynolds, who wins? (Show your work.)

Did the Real Slim Shady ever stand up?

Sorry, but I can only give you credit for two out of a possible eight: your answers for A Million Little Pieces and Tom Cruise.

What series controversially ended with the screen going black?The Sopranos - the series ended with a scene showing the family sitting down to eat at a restaurant and then the screen went black. But there had been hints that Tony Soprano had been set up to be killed. So the viewers didn’t find out if the show ended with the family eating a peaceful dinner or being shot up in a blaze of gunfire.Whose girlfriend became a cliche by ending up in a refridgerator?

I answered this one above. But I’ll note that while many women in fiction have probably ended up in refridgerators, this particular one became the source of a wider discussion and hence a cliche.

What was unusual about the DVD commentary for Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog?

I tempted to say “But you are aware that there is a media device called a DVD and that commentaries by the people involved in making the movie are often featured on them?” but then I realized you probably wouldn’t get that reference either.

AnywayThe commentary was done as a musical.What crime was Survivor player Richard Hatch convicted of following his appearance on the show?He was convicted of tax evasion.Which movie character made the mistake of going “full retard”?

The quotation marks are important.In refers to the Tropic Thunder. In the movie, actors Tugg Speedman (Ben Stiller) and Kirk Lazarus (Robert Downey Jr) are discussing the Oscar. Lazurus tells Speedman he didn’t get an Oscar for a recent performance because he went “full retard” with the character. Lazurus said the Academy voters want to see characters who are disabled but have non-disabled qualities as well.Who was Paris Hilton’s partner in her sex tape?Rick Salomon, the former husband of Shannen Doherty. Salomon has recently been dating Pamela Anderson. Tabloids love this guy.

Garfield! Damn right!

I keep getting offered something called a “Google Wave”. What the hell is it, and why would I want one?

THIS IS MY FAVORITE THREAD EVER!
I am so glad I am not the only one. I never heard of Lady Gaga till about 2 weeks ago. I actually googled “Kardashian” just last month because that name kept popping up like I was supposed to know who they were. Apparently their dad was one of OJ’s lawyers. I never watched a single minute of the OJ trial (Shagnasty, do you even know what the OJ trial was?)
Here is a partial list of shows of which I have seen fewer than 5 episodes (usually zero): Sopranos, Lost, The Office, 24, ER, LA Law, Miami Vice, Dallas, Grey’s Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, How I Met Your Mother, Sex and the City (saw once and HATED those annoying chicks although I am supposedly in their prime demograph), Buffy, Twin Peaks …
Shagnasty, the funny thing is that in your (brilliant) discussion of Gilligan’s Island, you referenced Falcon Crest! I’m shocked you knew that one.

Other than your ignorance of Star Trek, we are pretty much alike, especially in your having a pre-teen daughter who has given you familiarity with iCarly. Although I am ignorant of the shows listed above, I believe I have seen every ep of iCarly, Drake&Josh, Zack&Cody (at least their first series), and Hannah Montana. So here’s my question for you Shagnasty, since you were in the dark with respect to “Twilight” (Har! In the dark! Get it?), are you at least familiar with the eps of Wizards of Waverly Place wherein Justin dates a vampire?

I’ll give you two out of five.
What is it with humans and root beer, anyway?*
From a certain TV show I loved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuuVmeaiMfE

Why were some Tolkien fans upset about Tom Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire?
These two book segments were omitted from Peter Jackson’s movie version of The Lord of the Rings, to the angst of some (although not particularly of me).

Was Jacko wacko?
Yes, I think you got it - this referred to Michael Jackson.

Ever tried landing a plane in the Hudson River?
Very good. So you know about US Airways Flight 1549.

Do you have anything that goes to 11?
It’s a reference to a scene in the “rockumentary” Spinal Tap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY

Pronounce “diabetes.” Difficulty: You are Wilford Brimley.

I saw Citizen Kane up till the end. What was “Rosebud” suppose to mean? Oh, we covered that. Damnit.

Hah - I knew what that was before I clicked on it. If Deep Space Nine had produced nothing else besides that clip, it would still be the Best. Star Trek. Ever.

Well fuck me lovingly with a chainsaw. No sooner did I find out that there was one Kardashian, others pop up. The last name implies Armenian heritage and I think girls from the former Soviet blok are pretty hot at least from some of the pop-ups I get. A lot of them dig me too and even want to marry me.

You raise a good point. I have Titanic on infinite loop even when I am not home. I have seen it over 300 times and I am not a teenage girl and never have been. If video stores still exist in the future, the inventory should be 90% Titanic and everything else classified in the ‘Other’ category. Very seriously, one of my best childhood friends invented the technology with James Cameron to make Avatar work. I haven’t seen Avatar yet but I hope they made a movie good enough so that I can have two to choose from instead of just the one.

What’s your opinions on his earlier works: Terminator, Terminator 2, Aliens, The Abyss, and True Lies?

Is it true that the cane in Citizen Kane was stolen from the Smithsonian, and there’s been a fake one in it’s place for the last 27 years?

FWIW I’ve never heard of Mooby’s, so I accept your explanation of what it is.