I am world famous thanks to Derleth and the Dope.

Congratulations! Wow. I’m impressed.

And here is the sentence, from the thread, which was published in newspapers worldwide. The Dope has not received this much literary fame since If LotR Had Been Written By Someone Else!?

I’ve already wished congrats, but why not post pad?

Seriously though, it just occurred to me that this reminds me of one of my favorite Steve Martin essays, Times Roman Font Announces Shortage of Periods.

I know technically it’s not one sentence, but I felt like sharing because I thought it was hilarious.

Your sentence hurt my brain, but since that’s what you were going for I guess it’s okay. :smiley:

How many did you submit? How long did you work on it? Was it your first attempt, or were there other sentences you tried and rejected?

I’m humbled to be posting in the vicinity of such greatness. It takes an imaginative mind to come up with such a godawful line. Kudos, sir.

Congrats again! I’ve got Whad’ Ya Know on right now…

GT

Now, this could be a head start on next year’s contest…

Congrats Boyo Jim on your awfulousness.

[Leonard Pinth-Garnell]That was quite splendidly awful, wasn’t it?[/Leonard Pinth-Garnell]

Congrats!

We should get someone up for an Ig Nobel next.

am I the only one that wants to read the rest of the story?

Much congratulations, Boyo Jim!

Anybody else who entered, let’s hear your entries. Meanwhile, I’m going to start working on mine for next year.

OK- gulp- here it is…

(Well- it’s pretty weak, in my opinion, but it was fun to try and think of something. I’m going try to be a bit more creative for next time!)
My Entry:

It was a dark and stormy night, well, it was neither dark, (it was daytime), nor stormy, (partly cloudy and mild, and would stay that way through the weekend, according to Jim on Channel 12) but it should have been dark and stormy, beacuse that was how I felt: dark and stormy.
Be kind.

I didn’t enter, but if I had it probably would have been

And thanks to all the advice Boyo has been handing out in his numerous public interviers, I now know that “commas are your friends.”

I took an evening and put together a couple of dozen entries last August. I didn’t even keep a record of what I submitted, and never gave it another thought until I got an email last week that I was a finalist. I had to ask them what I entered, and the answer only had the finalist entry. So I don’t know what else I wrote. I had known of the contest for years, but never entered before.

Except I do remember one other entry – for its brevity: “Ron was already blind so he could take all the boner pills he wanted.” I rather liked it. :slight_smile:

Ooh, you listened today. BTW, they announced todays show would be available as a free podcast, available Monday. I thought it went pretty well, unfortunately I didn’t see an opportunity to mention the Dope. But I did get to mention my favorite breakfast place and have already got a free meal. That is the first (and likely only) thing I’ve got out of this that can be said to have an actual cash value.

I got a kind of clue today, in the form of an email from one of this year’s judges, regarding entries for next year. Apparently one thing that they like about my sentence was that is WASN’T like the most common form of entry. So unless you have something really exceptional, you might want to avaid sentences like this:

And I learned I will likely be called on as a judge for contests in future years, which sounds like a really fun perk. I’ve received really nice emails from several of the past winners – there seems to be a kind of secret society of BLFC winners that I’ve now been admitted to.

I listened today, too, and when he stumbled across you in the audience before your segment, I gasped, and my husband looked at me funny when I said, “That’s** Boyo Jim**!”

I was deeply disappointed that you didn’t mention the Dope, especially since you comported yourself in a manner to which all Dopers should aspire, when given the chance to be on a hugely popular national radio show.

Boyo Jim PM’d me on the day he found out so I’ve known of his win for a while now. He swore me to secrecy and now he’s blown it wide open! I’m happy he’s getting the kudos he deserves, but it was a surprise to see this on the first page of MPSIMS after his original thread got vanished.

Speaking of kudos, I honestly had no idea the Bulwer-Lytton contest was such a big deal. Getting on NPR is usually reserved for Presidential candidates and mentally retarded death row inmates, and I’m happy to see Boyo Jim in such august company. It’s great being part of the news cycle every time it isn’t crippling or illegal.

What a lot of stuff to come from one mostly-forgotten thread.

Yay, and good for you, Jim! To start it all off with Peein’ is just shy of the most awful transgression of opening a story with an Alarm clock ringing. You did it with style!

Bask well, good favored son!

Don’t you have to be some sort of scientist for that? Or at least within spitting range of a university?

[sub]Where’s Mouse_Maven and her Legions of Murine Doom?[/sub]

Thank you. I was looking for a chance to mention the Dope, and hoping he would ask me something about how or why I entered, but it didn’t happen. All too soon he was saying thanks and I was being ushered offstage.

Michael stumbled across me in the audience beforehand because we weren’t introduced and didn’t speak before the show. I just sat in the audience like everybody else until they waved me onto the stage a couple of minutes before the segment started. Earlier, one of my guests, Dan (they let me bring four friends), the guy who had the “game face”, caught his eye, so they had a little exchange. We all had a great time. I just wish I’d been there last week, when David Steinberg was his guest – I’m a huge fan of his. It just blows my mind that I would be in the same seat as him a week later.