I believe my window etiquette is correct

Yeah, and get a demerit. And give their parents one too, for raising such an uncouth brat. Probably never even spank him for spying on neighbors couches. :smack:

And…look in your window when they go past.

It’s all about the material you sew your curtains with … use something light and shear … get it: “see-through” …

Generally during the day, there’s more light outside than inside … and this makes it difficult for folks outside to see-through the fabric, just too much light banging off the curtains to see anything inside … darker on the inside means far less light and the material becomes more transparent looking out where light in abundant … not perfect but I think it would work in this scenario …

Just remember the opposite is true at night … it is the folks inside that are getting blasted with light, and folks outside who see every little detail inside … so don’t forget to draw the blinds …

Have we as a society become so isolated we can’t even look at each other? …

Sure, in public, but in my living room? If I have the Queen over, it isn’t to put on a window show. We should be able to do what we want without a lot of peeping.

Probably more sensible to just classify kids with the animals and let 'em off.

People have actually set up lawn chairs out on the grass where I can see them from the couch, sunbathing with the dog. I never caught them looking in my windows!

If it’s odd enough to worry you, then the cheap answer is, as I’ve said, net curtains (let the light in but make any remote prospect of peepers impossible). The expensive answer is lots of counselling to work out why it matters to you.

Or you could just accept that the vast majority of people just aren’t interested enough to peep, and anyway probably were brought up to much the same sort of rules about it as you seem to expect. And maybe look for something else to get you off the awesome couch and keep you busy.

“I stroked one of Tagm’s hands, gazed again at the slowly revolving planet, my gaze flicking in one glance from pole to equator. ‘You know, when I was in Paris, seeing Linter for the first time, I was standing at the top of some steps in the courtyard where Linter’s place was, and I looked across it and there was a little notice on the wall saying it was forbidden to take photographs of the courtyard without the man’s permission.’ I turned to Tagm. ‘They want to own the light!’”

― Iain M Banks, The State of the Art

Why not have the blinds partially open? Tilt the slats so that some light gets in for your plants but closed enough so that outsiders can’t see in.

I only look into people’s windows when there is a cat sitting in the window seal. And when that happens, I don’t give a damn about your “window etiquette”. :smiley:

You need to adopt the Baltimore practice of painted window screens. You can see out but they can’t see in! My grandparents and my sister lived in city row houses and the screens were perfect for privacy. And some were quite attractive.

I think it’s personal preference. I keep mine closed because of preference and convenience. Yeah, no one should be peering in, but I don’t want all the door to door salespeople taking it as an invitation and other things.

True story: I was accused of sexual harassment when I was about 5 years-old because I looked into a neighbor’s window while I was spending the day at my aunt’s apartment.

One of my wife’s life-long best friend’s father was one of the more ‘famous’ (if that term could be used) Baltimore screen painter, Tom Lipka. http://paintedscreens.org/thepainters.html

Shortly after we moved into our first house in Parkville, the house next to us became available and Tom and his wife moved in to be next to us - just wonderful people…We have several he gave us over the years…we hang them on the wall…

Sorry for the thread derailment, OP, but FairyChatMom brought up a subject near and dear to our hearts…

Assuming I could actually see in at all, I most likely would have peeked once, then never again, because I know what’s in there. As such, if you missed that single peek, you’d never see me peeking in again, and assume I never peeked.

Though I agree that it’s probably a lot harder to see in than you think. I’ve never been able to see into my neighbors windows except when they have a TV I can see through it.

You lived in Parkville? I’m Parkville Sr. High class of '72! Howdy, (sorta) neighbor!!