I blew up a Toastmasters group last night

I’ve done toastmasters in a few countries and in all cases there was an explicit rule prohibiting political speech. My Google fu is lacking right now, but it’s probably the case in the US too. I.e. you can’t call a meeting “toastmasters”, charge for it and get support of toastmasters org, and include political speeches.

(Which for me is actually a shame, as I still freeze up sometimes in table topics, whereas I’m very unlikely to freeze if we’re talking politics)

Who are you and when did you replace octopus?

With the caveat, of course, that abuse (and trolling/sealioning/etc) are not “siloization” or a challenge of one’s viewpoints.

I get the feeling that distinction makes no difference in our 8-legged associate’s mind.

No, that’s much more of an Arby’s type of skillset.

It’s arms.

Don’t worry he’s still over here.

See, the hive still acts as if the hive doesn’t understand cause and effect. Responding to a nut in the pit is vastly different than being the provocative nut. But you all know that.

Sometimes you sound like the Borg.

More like a magic 8-ball.

random SDMB poster: “What’s wrong with our military?”

Magic Octoball: “Signs point to pronouns.”

That’s right!

May I ask why?

Our stove is gonna eventually die, and I’ve been thinking about induction burners.

Toss out all your old pots/pans. Everything has to be magnetic. The stove top may no longer be cleaned by anything but expensive chemicals on a paper towel. Oh, by the way… that new stovetop is some kind of black glass and nothing may be placed on it… ever… that isn’t being cooked. For me that means 16 square feet less of counter space for cooking utensils and second course items, etc. In our kitchen, that’s a Lot. So, when I’m not trying to balance spatulas on top of the coffee maker, I now consider our kitchen “tight”.

When the timer goes off, the stove plays songs. No, nothing you would like.

Oh, as an aside… there is a little orange light on the side that you really should play close attention to. You see, when you had gas, you turned the burner off and you didn’t stick your hand in the flame. When you had electric, you knew to never touch the red spiral cooking coil. But with induction, all you see is black glass… and if you put your hand down on hot black glass, it’ll cook it through to the bone in about three seconds. The orange light means that some part of the stove ( gotta guess where ) is still hot enough to sear flesh.

Oh, yeah… I Love it… /s

Yikes! But I thought I heard people were using their induction cooktops as additional counterspace? :man_shrugging:

True, but you can get nice pans.

I use Dawn dishsoap and an aluminum scrubby.

I use it for all sorts of purposes. I put my cutting board on it, I store items on it. The fact that it doesn’t get hot means that I don’t have to worry about things melting or burning. Never had a problem with using it as countertop space.

Just don’t put aluminum foil near it, in case it happens to be on, that could get messy.

I don’t think this is the case, never had any sort of issue like that. It heats metal, not flesh. The glass after removing a pan that I just had boiling oil in is only uncomfortably warm. May get a minor burn if you hold it there for a while.

Let me please explain:

Which I am forbidden to clean with an aluminum scrubby as it will scratch them

[quote=“k9bfriender, post:142, topic:918672”]
I use Dawn dishsoap and an aluminum scrubby. [/quote]

I was told that water of any type will rust out the stove top. Frthermore, I’ve been told that if I’m ever caught trying to clean it this way, she’ll grab two of the chef’s knives for “game on”.

I use it for all sorts of purposes. I put my cutting board on it, I store items on it. The fact that it doesn’t get hot means that I don’t have to worry about things melting or burning. Never had a problem with using it as countertop space. [/quote]

Granted, the wooden cutting board is usually up against the wall, but I have been specifically told to Not do that.

I don’t think this is the case, never had any sort of issue like that. It heats metal, not flesh. The glass after removing a pan that I just had boiling oil in is only uncomfortably warm. May get a minor burn if you hold it there for a while. [/quote]

The burner will not be on, but the black glass holds energy/heat well. I won’t tempt fate with my hand, but hey your hands are your own.

How does “black glass” get rusty?

It’s the connections underneath which rust. The glass is a solid rectangle which cannot be removed. The edges end just about where the metal of the stove frame begins… and water drips/flows through the tiny space between the two medium.

What the fuck is even going on here?

Wait, are we taking about induction cooktops or glass flattops? I have no experience with induction models, but I’ve been using a glass-topped stove for over 14 years with no issues. It has some wear (you can definitely locate the “favorite eye”), but I’ve cleaned it much more often with wherever all-purpose cleaner is present than with Ceramabrite. My only complaint is that the little “hot” light doesn’t tell you which eye is hot; I haven’t seen this on flattops in many years though.

If they are non-stick sure. I had some disagreements with a roommate about that once. The non-stick ones are just fine.

If she’s that adamant about how it’s cleaned, then let her clean it. I did so for 17 years. Now, admittedly, my stove did eventually die, and my cleaning methods may have contributed to that, but it had a good run either way.

That’s why I have 8 chef knives at the ready in the knife block. Two can play that game. Besides, my knives are far more precious to me than a stove could ever be.

I’d be careful about what you are doing on it. I wouldn’t be tenderizing meat or otherwise banging on it, but regular 'ol chopping is good.

I’m not entirely sure that the stove is what you are truly resentful here, TBH.

It holds some heat, but not enough to burn you to the bone in seconds. Like I said, if you left your hand on it for a while, you’d probably get a minor burn.

Maybe you have a different model that was designed poorly, but I’ve never had an issue with this.

The only downside to an induction stove is that they do cost a few times that of a regular stove, and maintenance is much more expensive as well. Which is why my stove hasn’t worked for over a year, and I use a couple of plug in induction burners I got online.

My bad, we’re supposed to be talking shit about toasters, not stoves.