I brought pie. And it was good.

Or at least, my roommate sure liked it.

A little background: my father makes the best apple pies. Honestly. I’ve never had one as good, though once I did have one which came really close. However, it’s been a few years since he’s made them, and since I’m living away right now, even if he did I wouldn’t get any. In other words, I miss them.

So I swiped Dad’s recipe and made my own :smiley:

I made two pies–one for me and my roommate Mary, and one for her BF Jay and his roommate John. Although she’s been spending a lot of time with Jay lately (I hardly ever see her anymore), so I wound up eating most of our pie while she was away.

She’s been home twice since I brought the pie over to Jay’s place, and both times she mentioned that the pie was really good. The first time I was kinda skeptical because at first I didn’t think it turned out that well. The second time I believed her, partly because she sounded convinced and partly because I had decided since then that the pies turned out fine.

Well, Jay was over this morning, and I was talking to him for a bit after Mary left for work. Here’s what happened to his pie:

He got two pieces, one the night I brought it over and one the next morning.
I had one piece the night I brought it over.
Mary ate the rest–John didn’t get a bite.

Now I don’t feel so guilty about eating most of the pie that was left here. Munches on the last piece of apple pie

Mmmmm… Pie… :slight_smile:

<goes to fridge for last slice of July 4th pie>

Great title.
You need to post the recipe. I love making pie. Eating it is left up to my husband and kids.

Oh, please post the recipe! I love baking.

And I adore apple pie. And I have a pie plate.

Please?

holds out plate Can I have some? With vanilla ice cream? Please please please?

You like pie? Pie, you like? You lika da pie? Huh? Do ya?

World’s best custard pie

One prebaked pie shell. I always make an oil crust since Crisco is now a no-no.

1 1/2 cups flour
pinch of salt
1/2 cup oil
3T milk

Combine and push out with fingers into a 9 inch pan. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes until edges are getting brown.

Take three eggs and whip them until they get pale and double in buck. Add 3/4 cup sugar and whip for 8 minutes more. Scald 2 3/4 cups milk with a half stick butter. Combine with eggs and sugar. Add a pinch salt, 1 t vanilla, and at least 1 t nutmeg, preferably freshly grated. Pour into pan and bake for 30 minutes or so at 350. Don’t be afraid to take it out at that point, even if it looks like it’s not set. It is. Cool, slice and eat. Yeah boy.

Sounds so yummy.

::drools::

Have you made it yet? If you’d started after you posted, it would be out of the oven and cool enough to eat by now! Seriously, it takes no time at all. Get busy!

I was wondering just how long it would take for someone to ask for the recipe. Fortunately, it was e-mailed to me, so it’s easy to post :smiley:

Dad’s Perfect Apple Pie*

6 - 8 (6 cups) cortland or mackintosh** apples
peeled, & sliced
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
dash nutmeg
dash salt

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

combine sugar, flour, spices and salt together in small bowl.
mix into apples in larger bowl. set aside.

line a 9 inch pie plate with crust and put apples into it, dot with pats of butter or margarine. add top crust, make slits in top crust to let steam out. seal edges, and sprinkle top with a little sugar. (1/4 teaspoon)

Bake at 400 ’ F for 50 mins, orn till done.
(you may want to put a pizza pan or cookie sheet under pie to catch drippings). we don’t want a fire!***
I’ll also put Mom’s crust recipe, which is what I used (Makes 6 crusts, or enough for 3 pies with full tops). You lazy types are free to use prebaked :slight_smile:

Mom’s Perfect Pie Crust****

1 Lb pure lard, 6 cups all purpose flour & 1 teasp. salt

Mix with pastry blender until fine crumbs form. need to work it a lot. this makes it flaky.

Mix together: 1 egg in measuring cup
2 tablespoon vinegar
fill with water to make 1 cup

stir with fork or whisk. then mix 2 mixtures together to form dough. Cut into 6 equal portions. roll out one piece at a time, on floured board, covering remainder with damp cloth in bowl. Can be frozen and used later.
I’m going to make cinnamon rolls with the rest of the crust…uh, when I finally manage to get the apple drippings off the cookie sheet (See below)
*Yes, it’s apparently actually called this
**Granny smith’s work as well. Actually, anything that is tart and firm. Use Red Delicious and I will have you drawn and quartered
*** One of the ones I made dripped a lot, glad I listened to this
****I made this one up :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry Soul Brother Number Two. I, um, read the first three Harry Potter books today.

What?

That’s cool, Blue. At least you did something productive, not lying around all day reading.

In that case, when come back, bring more pie.

Preferably right here.

:eek: