I can crush things with pure volume

I got a new amp. 100 watts of power.

This thing is LOUD. I haven’t turned it up past 4 for fear of a)going deaf and b) knocking down a wall by accident. It is one of the loudest combos I have ever heard.

I love my new amp.

Slee

Mine goes to eleven.

Game, Set, Match. Mangetout wins in straight sets.

You haven’t turned it on, struck a chord on your guitar, and blown yourself through the wall ala Back to the Future I? :dubious:

How does it sound? Loud is only good if it’s, well, good. “Loud and good” allowed Marshall to pioneer the sound of hard rock in the late 60s. “Loud and bad” kept Crate in business throughout the 80s. :slight_smile:

I once had a stereo that was so powerful, I could turn it up and we could hear the words from the middle of an 85 acre lake. Of course, one’s ears would bleed if you had to go inside for anything… :rolleyes: Turning it on was like setting off bug bombs, turn it on and RUN!

Sorry, my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe goes to 12.

So what if it’s only 40 watts? It’s one more.

Reminds me of that old chestnut about Neil Young mixing a Crazy Horse album. He sat on the lake.

Left channel in the barn. Right channel on the porch. He’d mix it be yelling, " More Barn !! More Barn !! " ( I know I’m getting the details wrong, but the gist is spot on. :smiley: )

It doesn’t say “Marshall” on it. Is is an amp? ( That’s a bit like saying, " it doesn’t say Mellotron on it, is it a keyboard? " )

:stuck_out_tongue:

For no good reason at all, my amp’s (home theater, not a guitar amp) volume knob goes to 40. I think that if I were to fire up all channels and the subwoofer, I could do structural damage to the house if the electricity holds out - there’s something absurd like 900 watts of FTC power all around.

Remember those wild and crazy days of selling fictional watts?

The ad would scream
10,000 WATTS!!*

• into .2 ohms both channels bridged. 500 watts into 2 ohms, 30 FTC watts (20-20,000 Hz, 8 ohms, less than .05%THD per channel

Y’ns are the auditory equivalent of those old ladies who douse on a half-pint of Floral Bouquet before leaving the house, you know that?

“I can crush things with pure perfume!”

There is nothing like standing in front of an amp, hitting a chord, and feeling your arm hairs move.

You need to take that baby into a large, open space and open it up and see what it can do!

It sounds like ass-kicking. It sounds like Chuck Norris on a very bad day. It sounds like anger.

This makes me happy.

Here is a link to a song I am working on. Note, the soloy bits are trash, I just hit record and made some noise.

http://members.aol.com/sleethestak/music/Ab_test.mp2

That is straight in with a bit of reverb added.

I luv my new amp.

Cartooniverse, yeah, its an amp. Personally, I never liked Marshals all that much. I prefer the whole Mesa Boogie type tone.

Slee

I had a 100 watt fender tube amp when I was in college. One day we pumped music through it and turned it up to 4. The resident administrator from several floors above us came down to tell us to turn it off.

I remember joining a new band, and we practiced in a sound proof room one day (one of the guys in the band was a music major, so we had access to the campus music studios). The drummer kept playing too loud, so I would crank up the amp a little more to compensate. Then he would play louder. So, I cranked up the amp a little more. And then he played louder. By the time we were done, I had the amp cranked up to 5 and after an hour of playing, you could cook an egg on the metal parts of the amp, and my ears were ringing. I probably still have some hearing loss to this day from that one practice session.

The guy I sold the amp to put the speakers next to a garage window and cranked it up to 10 just to see if he could blow the window out. He did.

100 watts is a stage amp, not a practice amp. But it sure is fun. :smiley:

Let’s be clear about this: an 18-watt tube amp is a stage amp - you can get over drums and play venues of up to about 150 folks…

A 100-watt amp is a BIG STAGE amp - for an amphitheatre or venue for a couple of thousand people.

Townshend and Hendrix worked with Jim Marshall to develop the stack because they were moving from clubs to venues of a much bigger size. The fact that they were seen playing stacks led to us regular joes to want them - but they are WAY too big for most of us, even if they sound wonderful.

I call this the Practical Use syndrome - there are many, many pieces of gear that touring pro’s really need and we civilians really, really don’t.

Doubleneck guitars? Sure - if you are playing in front of 20,000 people and your repertoire includes a song where you must switch between 12- and 6-string guitar on the fly. That’s why Jimmy Page used it. If you don’t have that specific need, either you don’t need it or you are just a poseur who wants it because it looks cool. And that is 100% okay, IMHO, as long as you acknowledge that state of affairs. We all have stuff we want but don’t need - but don’t go claiming otherwise…