I can feel it coming in the air tonight (???)

Heya kids, enjoyin’ yer summer frolickin’?? I ain’t, but that’s a whole 'nother story.
QUESTION: What the heck is the story behind the Genesis/Phil Collins song “I can feel it coming in the air tonight” I heard it was about a guy who saw someone drown but didn’t do anything to help…is that at all true?? I was riding a big yellow school bus at the time I heard that explanation, so it could very well be poppycock. Anybody know?? Phil, ya out there?

Ivana Grahovac

I believe one rumor also stated that the child was Collins’ son. I also recall reading in a book (somewhat similar to Cecil’s series) that it is an urban legend.

The version of the story I had originally heard was that it was a guy in a boat who didn’t help a drowning kid (same idea, different place). But both are false.

I’m having trouble opening the link right now, but it looks like it’s at: http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/someair.htm

It’s an urban legend. Collins had said that all the songs on the “In the Air” album were inspired by his (at that time) recent divorce.