I can't sell on eBay without a credit card?!

Surely not!

I sold something on eBay about 2 years ago, I didn’t have a credit card then.

2 years on I am trying to sell something else, and it is prompting me for a credit card.

I don’t have a credit card.

A poor student like me can not even get cleared for a credit card.

Is there any way around this?!

Do you have a checking account? If you do then get a debit card to go along with it and use that.

Hmmm.

How is that different from my normal bank card?

Hmmm.

How is that different from my normal bank card?

The debit card could work, since it’s backed by Visa/MC.

Understand that credit/debit cards are ways of determining the age of the card holder. Not 100% effective, but credit cards are used to make sure the person is an adult.

As far as a merchant is concerned (in this case ebay is the merchant) it’s no different. Go ahead and use it. As Philster said it’s a way of checking age. But I they will also charge the fees to it I believe. Since you mentioned you haven’t done this in a couple of years, there seems to be one difference. Years ago you had to manually make a payment I believe. Now, it is automatically charged to whatever account you give them about a week or so after the auction ends.

Man, I only clicked “Submit” once!
GrrrrRRRrrrrr

Ok, thanks guys.

Most of the big banks do not charge for check/debit cards. (Though the situation may be different in Ozland.)

They offer them with Visa or MC logos, so as far as the merchant is concerned, it’s a credit card, and is processed over the credit card network, but deducts directly from your checking account.

You may not have Visa/MC-backed “Debit Cards” yet in your country.

For example, here in Canada, we’ve been using our ATM cards as debit cards long before Visa and MC got in on the concept and made it popular in the US.

So for us, the card is issued by our bank, and we can use it to withdraw cash from an ATM, or to pay for a purchase with funds directly out of our bank account.

You may have a similar system (?)