I Can't Sleep. I don't Like My Job. I'm Worried About the Economy

Argh! That was where I heard it. :smack:

Thank you for the link though.

Hell, I lost my job back in March (actually I was glad to go and get handed a wedge of money to do it. I was beginning to hate it there). Haven’t managed to get anything yet (though I was in a Hovis bread commercial a few weeks ago).

I have some good news, if that’s okay. My son was just offered a good job today, after being unemployed for four months. He also said that his house (bought five months ago) has gone up in value! He is near Acton. Not much, but up. :slight_smile:

So his (quite major) worries have poofed away.

My job and my sister’s job are okay but I seriously worry about my brother-in-law, my mom and my dad. My parents, at least, have diversified and stashed cash in addition to their retirement accounts but my father is 63! He is now planning to work till about 68 or 69. They had planned that even before the crash, though (rising cost of energy-they want a big buffer. Plus, my father has a very relaxed schedule on account of his seniority).

I was also planning on going to business school within 1 to 2 years, though I’m semi-concerned about the lending industry being able to hand over first year tuition at a private school-even by next year.

I got to work today and the first thing the boss did was give me the keys to his Brand New European Company Car and asks me to go to two stores on the other side of town and get some stock.

So I spent the morning driving all over town to get stock in a really, really comfy European car with a great stereo, incredible air conditioning, and all those nifty extras that brand new cars have. It was very nice.

Then, about an hour before I finish my shift, the boss calls me into his office and says he has a proposition for me; namely they need me to travel to a bunch of other stores and help them completely re-organise the way the stores are laid out (I did a lot of this when I worked in supermarkets, incidentally). There’s a LOT more money in it for me and there will be travel involved- all at the company’s expense. Flights, accommodation, food, all covered. :eek:

I’m feeling pretty good about it; my current job isn’t brilliantly exciting but this project they’re assigning me to is a completely different kettle of fish, looks very interesting, and it’s right up my alley. And I get to travel. And someone else is paying for it. :slight_smile:

We’ll see how it all goes…

I’ll tell you what, if this does go down as Great Depression II, we are going to find out very quickly whether or not there are jobs that Americans won’t do.

I’ll probably be one of those people. A newly minted Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on when times are tough. I’ve often said that the only reason I’m getting a degree is so that they can’t round-file me from the get-go and that all I needed was a few minutes that the degree buys me. Now I get to see if I’m as good as I say I am.

You think you’re nervous? Hah! My entire work history consists of grunt work, foodservice and the military, only one of which counts for anything, and then only if I’m up for a government job. Hell, I’ll be lucky if I can get a job welcoming people to Wal-Mart.

The notion that there are “jobs Americans won’t do” has always been bogus - what it really means is that there are jobs Americans won’t do for starvation wages under crap conditions because legal citizens can get better.

There’s a lot of jobs I don’t like, but I’ll do 'em if that’s what it takes to survive.