I Can't Use the Smilies, Bold, Italics, etc.

When I first logged on to these new boards, I found I can’t use the Smilies, Bold, Italics, or Underline functions unless I do it manually: like this:). I tried to mention this on the “Got a SDMB problem? List it here.” thread. But I was unable to post there for some reason!

Why do I have to do these functions manually? I am apparently still a charter member.

Thanks to all who help:)

I can’t help you with your problem :(, but I thought I’d chime in to say that I had the same problem a few days ago and it seemed to go away on its own. Doesn’t seem to be affected by refreshing the page, restarting Firefox, playing with my Javascript settings, or rebooting. I had the problem and then later I didn’t have the problem. Weird.

Out of curiosity, are you using Firefox?

*Playing *a **little ** bit to make sure the buttons are working for me today. The font colour one is the only one that I can’t seem to make work today. :confused:

It always helps to include your browser and Operating system. Internet Applications behave differently from browser to browser and sometimes between Operating Systems.

Example I am using IE7 on Win XP sp2.

The buttons except for the font colors is working for most posters. I believe Jerry needs to reload this table eventually.

You can try a keyboard shortcut the Bold, Underline and Italics.
Ctrl B = Bold
Ctrl U = Underline
Ctrl I = Italics

For the smilies are you use the right side panel or the pull down smilies menu next to the font color pull down?

I’m not sure why, either, although I agree with What Exit? that system and browser info woul be helpful.

I am randomly changing the display [RIGHT]of[/RIGHT] [ol]
[li]this[/li][/ol] [ul]
[li]post[/li][/ul] by highlighting words and clicking icons at the top of the reply window. I’m pretty sure they are going to work. I’ll even click on (ugh) a couple of smileys.
:):confused::eek::mad::rolleyes::cool:

(On preview they worked for me.)
Win 2K, IE 6 (OK, I’m behind the times.)

They don’t work behind some firewalls or company browsers. If I want to use smileys at work I have to manually type them out.

No, I do not use Firefox.

I use the right side panel.

So what are you using for an O/S and browser?

I don’t generally tell people. But if you insist, I use Internet Explorer and Windows XP.

Try going into your options, and unchecking the advanced edit box and saving. Then go in again and check it. That worked for me when I had the same problem.