I don't have one. I'm just commoner [Am I strange?]

Irony and playfulness are much valued traits 'round here. Please stay. Heh, we’ve all embarrassed ourselves once or thrice on the boards…give it a couple of days, and your fox-passes will be forgotten and forgiven!

Depending on which part of the world you inhabit, either kick back with a coffee (morning) or a beer/vodka/cask of chateaux shabby (evening, as it is here in Aus). Pretend it’s like an Opinion Expo…wander through the aisles, you can taste the wares of those that appeal and give others a wide berth. Jump in with something to say (nobody minds if your opinions are ‘out there’) but be prepared to back anything you claim to be true up with evidence.

Hey, I’ve been here nigh on 13 years now…been kicked out once, and threatened with eviction on a couple of other occasions, but like a dysfunctional family, I’m curiously drawn back.

Hope you find your stay equally interesting Hollow mask :stuck_out_tongue:

Kambuckta, thank you for the encouragement. I feel an affinity for you guys, already and find this to be a fascinating cite. I do plan to stay. I’m really not at all arrogant, but I don’t lack for self-confidence, either. I live in Omaha, Nebraska. I’m a liberal Democrat which may explain my verbosity and in this red state, I sort of need that, sometimes. I’m not naturally contentious but I fear nothing and nobody so that must contribute to my willingness to engage in spirited debate. I’m 60, retired but do a little part-time work. I am Italian-American, have two great sons, 33 and 31, and a precious 11 yr.old Grandson I adore. I like sports and used to play several. I think Bruce Springsteen is the coolest guy on the planet and love him and his music. My reading tastes run to the natural sciences, history, and bios. I read fiction, sometimes and think "To Kill a Mockingbird’ is the best novel ever. My hero’s are Henry Fonda, though I think Brando was the greatest of them all, and classic movies. I listen to little else besides NPR on the radio, and watch msnbc regularly. I hate Fox and all their windbags. Rupert Murdock is a blight upon the media world. Though raised Catholic by wonderful parents, I became atheist at age 15 and can find no reason to change nor any loss of purpose and remain in awe of the beauty and splendor of the universe. I love kids and dogs, and clowns creep me-out. About it.

It’s a good read, but the title is misleading–do they even kill a mocking bird? It’s been a while since I’ve read it.

You’re trying way too hard, young Doper.
mmm

Well, no. It’s about a story Atticus Finch, an attorney in the Jim Crow south, tells his daughter about something related to him by HIS father; that killing a mockingbird was wrong.

What do you mean ? And the name you’ve given me is only half-correct. Can you guess which half ? Oh, and don’t try too hard. Or, at all, if you prefer.

I never could tell what tequila has to do with the story.

‘Tequila Mockingbird’: stripper name, band name, or cocktail name?

The beatings will stop when you admit how wrong and evil you are.

You seem to be a well-read, intelligent person, and came this close to being in the line of succession for Doper Vice-Emperor; but alas, your egregious use of an apostrophe in “heroes” cannot and will not be forgiven, nor will your failure to use caps for MSNBC. Other than that, hail centurion (or sexagenarian, if you will), ave and welcome to the best-moderated conglomeration of eggheads, nerds and common folk.

So, the Finch is trying to kill something related to Crow, but not the Mockingbird? Got it.

Beatings ? You must never have been in any fights. If you couldn’t intimidate me in person, I’m sure it ain’t gonna’ happen here. And I seriously doubt you could. Careful, though. I can verbally dis-embowel you at will. What are you, some sort of rhetorical bully ? I wouldn’t mess with me. Now, play nice or I’ll send you home crying.

I do seem well-read, don’t I ? Some might even say I am. Not me, though. There are too many books left to read. Too bad about that title I missed. I would have been honored to receive it. Missed it by that much ! Maxwell Smart. I know you’re kidding about punctuation and all. Thanks for the welcome !

You’ll find that we NEVER kid about correct punctuation, even if we don’t always practice it. If you think grammar is that old lady drooling in the attic, you’re in for a tough row to hoe. Kidding, indeed! Humph and good day to you. I said “good day”, sirrah!

Doper name.

Somehow I doubt that, although The Guardian had a fun article on February 25th in the Science section that comes to mind.
This device wont post links though…

Heh. :smiley:

Also a band:

And a cocktail:

I haven’t looked for “stripper” yet … :wink:

That is really funny. Who IS that lady in my attic, then ?
Let me guess, that was Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie ? No ?

I finally got that. A finch is a bird. And you meant Jim crow. I told you guys I’m old.

Pah! Our oldest member is in his 80s. I’ve got you by six years, whippersnapper.