I Don't Understand This Woman

I have this freind from Northern Ireland who has been out here in LA for about 8 months now. What I cnanot get past is that her preference when we are out on the weekends its for…Budweiser…Coors Light…When she is especially adventurous she may go for a Harp’s. But generally, no, it is something of the yellow and watery variety that she steers toward. She isn’t some wallflower who buys a beer to have something to fondle during the evening, she drinks her beer and buys the next round (which I am not complaining about). She is loud and brash and opinionated and I just don’t get it. She is from the land that brought us the perfect pint, Guinness. Tehnically she is a citizen of the land of Bass. Yet here she is asking if they have anything “light” and it ain’t because she is counting calories. I don’t understand…

friend! friend!!

Ughh…‘i’ before ‘e’ except …

Um, don’t you think it’s possible that she just doesn’t like beer? I am a female possessing many of the characteristics your friend has (loud, brash, opinionated, etc.) but I don’t like beer—I drink it when out w/friends because I get drunk too fast on hard liquor. Bud or Coors is okay because it’s not as strong as other brands.

No she like she likes beer, very much. her idea of great night is going to a bar where she can have a “drink and a fag”. She just likes “that” kind of beer. It is disturbing to me. BTW, this was nto meant for Cafe Society, I meant to put it in MPSIMS, but I screwed up. My excuse is I gave blood today and who knows what that is doing to my mental state.

Well, it’s possible that she likes Bud and Coors precisely because they are not Irish. It would be similar to all those people who were hogged about Coors until it was available nationwide. Kinda the forbidden fruit thing.

But you may just have to face up to the fact that she drinks these beers simply because she enjoys them. Take heart that she is not some sort of elitist beer snob who would post a public chastisement of you for not agreeing with her beverage of choice.

Regardless…

I’d rather have a full bottle in front of me, than a full frontal lobotomy.

Well, it’s possible that she likes Bud and Coors precisely because they are not Irish. It would be similar to all those people who were hogged about Coors until it was available nationwide. Kinda the forbidden fruit thing.

But you may just have to face up to the fact that she drinks these beers simply because she enjoys them. Take heart that she is not some sort of elitist beer snob who would post a public chastisement of you for not agreeing with her beverage of choice.

Regardless…

I’d rather have a full bottle in front of me, than a full frontal lobotomy.

i never chastised her. No chastisement! I said I did not understnad her. But I admit I am a bit of a beer snob.

I was in Ireland recently and went into an alcohol store and brought a diet coke, I don’t like alsohol. It was slow so I asked the propreitor what her best selling beer was. And she looked and me and without a second thought said Budweiser. I was shocked! Not granted this was a take the stuff home with you store and not a pub, where I don’t think Bud would be found, but still.

Mind you this was only one store.

I don’t understand it either, when there are so many choices, but as Commander Cody said, “one man’s meat is another man’s poison”.

In 1998, I spent 5 months in N. Ir. According to some of the folks I met, the beer drinking habits there are changing. They are drinking beer much colder now. Even the big G. is now cold. Bud and Miller, which are brewed there under license, are both very popular on tap. I think maybe they even tasted a little better than the domestic version. Also most pubs had Coors in bottle or can. Most of the women i saw that were drinking beer, were drinking the lighter beers: Tennent, Carlsberg, Becks, Bass, Smithwicks, Bud, Miller, and Coors. I’m sure she drinks it because she likes it.

OK Tretiak i didn’t start out to hammer you. I actually began to say be thankful that she wasn’t a snob like so many others (you know the type, they always begin their points, “You Americans…”) when it occurred to me that, in this case, it sounded like you were wearing the other shoe.

I’ve noticed a prevalence among most posters to play ‘Underdog’ to some poor saps ‘Simon Bar-Sinister’ and i may have fallen into that mindset.

Regardless, i too feel that most domestic brews are little more than colored water. Or, as my father would say, “Panther piss in a bottle.” Not having the benefit of his, shall we say, ‘unorthodox’ experiences, i’ll just have to take his word for that.

I should mention though, that a fine example of poetic justice can be found in Mr. Whitekey’s Fly By Night Club in Anchorage (more properly, Spenard), Alaska where all those who order any Budweiser product are required to pay a 5¢ ‘Bud Tax’. Too Right!

Again, sorry for taking a poke at you.

Fiat Lux,