Some people don't like the taste of beer

I’m one of them. I have managed to drink it on some social occasions, and sometimes to excess, but never enjoyed it. I wonder if it’s a cilantro/soap genetic sort of thing, because I know so many who love it, and apparently not just for the buzz.

I don’t like it either.

Malta is a non/low-alcoholic drink that tastes like beer. Basically unfermented beer, usually served on ice. You can get it at the Caribbean market. I don’t like it either. A few people I know to like beer don’t like Malta.

~Max

Hate beer, and I even hate the smell. Even as a college punk I hated beer.

I would describe beer as an acquired taste for me. I distinctly recall dad giving me sips of beer (Goebels) when I was a kid and thinking it tasted kind of bitter and somewhat unpalatable. Fast forward to high school and I remember drinking Michelob and thinking it was not unpleasant. Over time as I tried more brands and styles of beers (particularly after the microbrew revolution in the late 80’s and early 90’s) I found myself appreciating the taste of quite a few different beers.

You must’ve been at least tolerant of the taste to keep looking for your brand.

I found it somewhat unpalatable with my initial contact. Not repellant or awful, but tolerable. Kinda like how I find overly floral teas today.

My dad gave me sips of Old Milwaukee… I think that if that was the beers I associated with “the taste of beer”, I wouldn’t like it either!

Thankfully there are far, far, far tastier beers out there. Hell, some Gose beers taste like juice.

I don’t find that beer or any other type of alcohol tastes good. An ice-cold beer on a hot day after physical exertion makes you thirsty is a good thing however.

Note: the link between cilantro-hate and genetics remains tenuous at best. “No beer for me; I have a deletion mutation on chromosome 16” would be a conversation starter.

And ender.

It took me a couple years to acquire a taste for beer. At first, I drank Coors Light when I was out with friends, because it was cheap and the least offensive to me. I did not like other beers, and only tolerated the ‘Silver Bullet’. After awhile, I tried others that didn’t immediately turn me off/make me gag. Then something odd happened - I found one or two I actually liked. From there, I grew more adventurous, and discovered dark beers I actually preferred. Before I gave up beer due to digestive issues, my favorite was Yuengling Porter.

I don’t think any of my friends ever said they liked beer from the first moment they drank it.

I don’t like beer, either. Friends always told me that I wasn’t drinking the right beer, but when I tasted their "right’ beer, it still tasted like beer.

I don’t care for coffee, either.

I don’t like beer either. It smells and tastes a bit like a damp dishcloth that’s been left out for a while.

I do greatly enjoy peach schnapps and such things, though.

I never liked it. Never had more than a sip at a time, and that was enough.

I’m that way with wine. To me it all tastes like stomach acid.

I was going to say something like this. “But, you have not had a good beer, then…” like any other food or drink that people say they don’t like.

I like it occasionally depending on what food I have. For example, tacos and beer are a simple pleasure for me. Pizza and beer is also good. I am not sure why, but the savory flavors with the bitterness of beer are something I like. I do not just drink beer to just drink it, tho - always with food. Give me a stout any day, however, as I like that better than beer. IPA and all the over-hopped nonsense tastes really bitter to me - much more than is necessary. If someone was trying beer for the first time, I would stay away from that dreck. :grinning:

Funny thing, I acquired a taste for beer but not really for wine. And the wines that I find most drinkable tend to be low end. Like Riunite Lambrusco or Gallo. Perhaps that makes me nekulturny. So be it.

For years I couldn’t smell wine without getting nauseated. I missed a couple High School days after some friends and I, using salt shakers as shot glasses, alternated between beer and wine. I never did tell my mom I didn’t have the flu.

I’ve never cared for beer, either. I’ve heard that there are some people who are more sensitive to certain bitter flavors, and I always wondered if that was the reason. I like a cider, sometimes, and it’s nice to see that becoming more available. And I’ve had wheat beers that weren’t too bad. I’ve been to the Oktoberfest, but I think the experience was somewhat wasted on me.

I’m not really a coffee or wine drinker, either. I’ll have them at certain times, though. Chianti with an Italian meal, or coffee with dessert works quite well.

I’ve discovered I only really like Hefeweizen. It’s very light, with practically no hops flavor.

There were two tastes in my youth that I was bound and determined to acquire – yogurt and beer. I hated the taste of both.

So I learned to like:

• Yogurt in my adolescence, because it sounded like a really healthy thing to eat, and
  • Beer in high school because … peer pressure and the promise of low-priced beers in college campus bars.