I dripped paint and turpentine into my monitor

plus a little linseed oil.

I was working from a photo that I was manipulating on my computer, and I thought that a nice container would be those plastic trays that mini-muffins come in, with a separate compartment for each color, etc.

I rested it on the monitor for a few minutes.

The monitor was warm.

The turpentine eats away at the plastic.

I picked up the tray to find–no bottom. Paint (mostly red) on the monitor (not the screen, inside the monitor.)

I unplugged the monitor and inspected the damage. Red paint was underneath where the monitor had been. The melange dripped straight through the monitor. A total loss, I think.

I suspect I would have been better off to buy a real palette, which has to be cheaper than a monitor.

And yet the mania thing isn’t causing problems – good to know.

The following is NOT a recommendation, even though I’d probably do it myself. Don’t do it. Seriously.

Anyway, I’d pop the thing open and hit it with a pressure washer–warm, soapy water; thoroughly. Followed by a nice, long rinse with clean water. Set up a fan or two, and let it sit open to dry for several days. Put it back together when it’s dry, and plug it in. Carefully.

But, like I said, don’t do it. Seriously. Even though I would.

So now that you’ve spilled red paint on your monitor, and it doesn’t work,
do you call it a pseudotrinitron ruber ruber?

darn the paint…

Yes, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Well, what do expect from someone whose first name is “Messy”?

To stay the hell away from my monitor.

:slight_smile:

that’s mean, my siggy didn’t show-

darn the preview post…

I regard this as an excellent incentive to get a flat screen LCD monitor.

Plus, you won’t have to worry about perching things on them. Plus it’s highly unlikely you’ll drip anything into them.

Did you turn the power off first?

But, it sounds like he used oil based paint, water, even soapy water will just spread it around, won’t it?

Paint isn’t really a problem–it’s nonconductive–it’s the turpentine. You don’t want it sitting in there eating away insulation and plastic structural parts! I think a pressure-wash with warm, soapy water will wash away most of the paint, especially if it hasn’t dried yet. If the concern is toxic paint fumes from hot parts, then once the bulk of it is washed away, you can get in there with a plastic-safe solvent and clean up the remainder. The wash itself will effectively discharge any dangerous stored voltage, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it at that point. The idea is to get it clean as soon as possible and get it dry quickly and thoroughly.

I’d only do this if saving it is important and you can’t afford to replace it if you can help it. The usual disclaimers about caution and whatnot apply, as always.

I don’t think we can help him fix this one with a potato.

Jim

pseudotriton ruber ruber, if the mossy forest you live in is in the PNW, we have an extra 19" Lacey. It came with my old Mac G-3 that’s dead in the closet.

Very generous of you, Pic. Unfortunately, my mossy forest is in the ANE, in the middle of Queens in NYC. But thanks. There may be a spare monitor or three at work, so it’s no hardship (I mostly use my laptop anyway). But I appreciate the offer.