I fought the law and I won.

I never claimed to be any kind of criminal mastermind. Hell, I even signaled all of my turns, out of sheer reflex.

Good job dude.

Oh wait, he wasn’t after you, maybe he was, but probably not.

ok

Good job dude for completely Unnecessarily freaking out; did the wife yell at you?. Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time. All you had to do was move over and slow down.

You are a completely irresponsible man, do you know that? I am furious that you ould be out driving that fast on that road. DO NOT DO THAT AGAIN. Some of us actually use that highway for more than vacation fun and seeing if we can wipe our family to avoid tickets.

Bolding mine.

I hate to break it to you but there were plenty of people on that road driving a LOT faster then I was.

I-95 is one thing. A mountainous road whose lanes seem to be a couple inches shorter than the ones on I-95 with only two lanes, and which is posted at 65 (which means a greater chance of people actually going that slow,) is another story.

Are the lanes on I-81 actually narrower than those on I-95? I hadn’t noticed, but then again I don’t drive either of those routes very often. Just the day before we had been on 23 coming from Asheville to Johnson City; THAT was a twisty, mountainous road. Anyway, I really wasn’t going that much faster than the rest of the flow of traffic, believe it or not. It is possible that spending so much time in DC has skewed my perspective, however.

First of all I doubt that and secondly it’s a poor rationalization for unacceptable behavior. If you need to induge in high risk behavior there are many opportunities to do so, w/o endangering others who don’t share your desire.

Am I missing something here? Are we talking about the stretch of I-81 between Blacksburg and Roanoke? I used to go pretty fast on that stretch. Granted it has been about ten years since I have travelled that road, but I can’t imagine that it has changed that much.

Indeed. I was driving my wife’s car up to MA (shitty Kia) and we decided on the “scenic route” – 81. Never again. I never had so many semi trucks get right on my ass going 70 as I did on that road. I sped up to 85 and it continued; it was especially bad on the downhill slopes. This was at night, though.

We averaged about 75 MPH on our 81 stint and there were cars flying by us like we were standing still.

Not sure, and I didn’t notice it at the time, it just seems that way when I picture them in my mind. Maybe the surrounding hills make them seem smaller in comparison?

Me either. My memory of that stretch is of students (myself included) attempting to break the land speed record in hopes of either to or away from campus as quickly as possible. 85 was just getting started.

About 10 years ago I got a fucking $800 fine and a citation for dangerous driving on I-81 right by Roanoke, on my way to east Tennessee - for doing 88 mph in a 65 limit.

The weather was fine, it was broad daylight, the road was straight and empty of traffic, except for a state trooper hidden in the median. Not sure I’d have tried to evade the cops with kids in the car, but still, the ‘unsafe speed’ and ‘endangering my family’ aspect of my transgression, that he yelled at me through his megaphone, was, IMO, moot, though I didn’t argue with him. (If he’d have stopped me 5 miles earlier when I was doing 110 mph he might have had a point…)

Damn you, you stole my karma!

Why do you have a warrant for your arrest?

Nothing civilized about doing 85.

Sure there is - you’re not making yourself a hazard by driving 20 mph slower than everything else on the road. Somebody doing 85 there is less dangerous than someone going 65.

Not on certain sections of I-81 where there is one of those “increased fine” sections, which I don’t know if the OP was in or not. But last time I drove in one of those on I-81, the posted limit was 65 and most people were going 65-70.

I’m sending you a PM.

Emilio, as someone who lives just down the road from you, let me thank you for doing your part to make I-81 (and in all likelihood the Beltway and many other roads in the region) more dangerous. We really, really need more people on the road who think that 20 mph over the limit is reasonable and don’t have a problem with attempting to evade police officers (whether the cop was after you or not, your intent not to be pulled over is evident). You’re really doing your part to make our already bad roads even worse. :mad:

Feh, consider your self smacked on the head with a chicken. In your guts you knew it was you who tipped his radar and that you were doing something naughty. Cop isn’t out there to play a game, he’s out there to “persuade” people to abide by the law.

Speed kills, you were driving significantly over the posted speed limit and your reaction distance was thus shortened from what the road is designed and maintained for. You didn’t even notice the roadside “hazard” until you were past it. I’m glad the hazard was only a parked shiny blue & silver car and not a harder-to-see deer trying to cross the road. Your story may have turned out to be very different. Slow the hell down, or at least pay attention when you’re piloting a ton & a half of steel down the road.

I speed sometimes, and I get a ticket every now and again. But I take my lumps for what I done, I don’t let my pride get in the way of admitting fault.

Bosda: Check your messages.