I got Covid for Christmas

Well, a few days later. My dumb older son who refused to get vaxxed started showing symptoms Tuesday. He’s been pretty sick with a high of 101.5 temp. Test showed positive. He’s getting better now but still hacking. My younger 16 yo son, who got the Pfizer vax as soon as it was available to 16 and up, is so far still symptom free.

Me, with my J&J vax from back in April, seemed like I might escape symptom-free, but moderate cold-like symptoms started creeping in by Thursday night, and yesterday midday I lost my sense of smell. Still, I could be a lot worse, just some sneezing, congestion, and a little minor cough but no temperature.

I had just made up my mind to get a Moderna booster after the holidays. Should I still go ahead and get the booster after I recover, or will I be immunized enough from having had Covid now?

I’m no doctor, but I don’t see how the booster could hurt. So that’s how I rule on the matter.
I’m glad your case was a mild one!

I’ve wondered how to tell the difference. I got a cold Monday.Sneezing, fatigue, then stuffed nose. Went to the Dr but they don’t test and she said all looked good, just a cold Just using saline solution and lots of tissues.

Why didn’t they test? Those are literally the most common symptoms of omicron. Hopefully they asked you to isolate.

No, actually. I’ve been bussing all week(stores, library, etc). I always mask. Maybe I have a cold, it’s not like it unfamiliar. No fever, smell and taste are fine.

Hey, another person who got covid for Christmas (maybe Santa is trying to reduce use of coal/fossil fuels, too?).

Hey, I’ve had two shots and a booster, and that was after a prior infection in October 2020. I wear a mask. I have cold symptoms. I don’t have fever or loss of taste/smell either.

I got tested. It’s covid.

The ONLY way to be sure it to get a test. Unfortunately, getting a test can be quiet a quest these days, but really, the latest version really is very like a cold, particularly if you’ve had any prior vaccination at all.

For that matter, my first go round with this virus I didn’t lose my sense of taste or smell, either. It doesn’t affect everyone the same way. Heck, some people who got the original version pre-vaccine didn’t show any symptoms at all.

Sneaky bastard of a virus.

Anyhow - hope anyone else in this boat is only suffering minor symptoms and recovers uneventfully.

What the hell kind of doctor doesn’t know that cold symptoms are the more common symptoms for omicron? Especially if you’re vaccinated.

I am vaccinated. I will have to see where is testing. I haven’t been close to anyone the last 2 weeks(I only took the bus Thurs to the Dr), I have books and food so I will be staying put.

By the way, I’m pretty sure I have it too. Got back from largely unmasked Florida last weekend and have been coughing, sneezing since. Had a sore throat, and body soreness for about 36 hours (interesting that this is so common for me, as after my Moderna #2 and Moderna boost, I felt like after a full body weight lifting workout), but it’s really just been a hacking cough since.

Took the rapid and PCR tests on Thursday. While the rapid came back negative, I was advised to isolate until my PCR result comes back. I’d been isolating anyway, just due to the crowded places I visited in Florida, and also because it’s pretty easy for me to do. I did question why I paid $160 for a rapid test (my insurance only pays for one test per day), when the orders were going to be the same. I was supposed to get my PCR result within 48 hours, but still nothing. I assume Quest Diagnostics is very busy.

ETA: 2 of my close friends, who are also triple-vaxxed, both got negative Rapid results, only to be followed by positive PCR results later. One of them has a bunch of rapid rests at home, and finally began testing positive on those, but several days after taking the PCR that came up positive. We all got it at the same time, and we haven’t been near each other (we’re all in different states). So I don’t think the Rapid test works on omicron, except maybe after many days, making it basically useless.

If one gets tested, and it’s negative, does that mean they’re over it? If not, do you have to keep getting tested until? And will Medicaid cover testing?

IS a mild one so far, still very much present tense. Only been showing symptoms for 48 hours or so. Hopefully it doesn’t get any worse. I sneezed earlier today and pulled a muscle in my side or something, and now it hurts like hell every time I cough or sneeze. Which thankfully, so far, isn’t that often. But yay 2022, off to a great start so far… :roll_eyes:

I’m not a doctor, either, but I got covid in 2020 before any of the vaccines were available. My nephrologist still urged me to get vaccinated when it became available (Moderna - 2 doses) then a booster as soon as they were authorized. A booster definitely gives you more protection. It’s also the CDC’s recommendation.

I had an afternoon Christmas dinner with my ex and my son - all three of us are fully vaxxed and boosted with Pfizer. That evening ex started feeling sick and next day he tested positive. He and my son isolated from each other as best they could in the same house, which was apparently pretty good (it’s a largish 2-story house); I completely isolated at home.

Both my son and I have had two negative Covid tests since then, plus no symptoms. Ex seems to have fully recovered, with just a slight feeling of malaise and a low fever the first 24 hours, then just a stuffy nose for a few days.

So,apparently I narrowly dodged Christmas Covid and all seems well for the whole family. Still, that’s incredibly sobering to realize how close to home the virus hit. Between the fact that I lead a pretty asocial life anyway, and virtually everyone I see is vaxxed, I’m the last person I’d expect to even be exposed. Wow.

@solost, here’s hoping you continue to recover well. How’s your older son reacting - lemme guess, this hasn’t affected his anti-vax position AT ALL!

So many people around me have had this recently. Right now my kid and her hubby and 2 kids here near Chicago, and my son in Denver. My wife’s stepmother, her half brother and all his kids.

All of them vaxed/boosted, all cases mild. Yeah, I’m still taking precautions, but a part of me is wondering if getting it is just an eventuality.

If you get omicron, can you catch it again or are you only susceptible to another variant? Any omicron folk developing long covid?

My household was hit too. Daughter spent Christmas night at her boyfriend’s house where they had many relatives visiting. Boyfriend tested positive two days later and notified daughter immediately. Daughter had a friend over at our house at the time, whose mother is a nurse. The friend had been here all day so clearly exposed as well. We called the nurse and her advice was to have both girls hunker down upstairs (our house is a large two-story as well, so that works) and sit tight for at least another day before testing.

The next day they tested and my daughter was positive but her friend was negative. Nurse says that doesn’t mean anything, her daughter has to assume she is potentially contagious and asked if we minded putting her up a few more days. (Their house is very small with five people, making at-home isolation impossible for them.) That is fine with us, with our daughter confined to quarters upstairs it’s better for all if she has company.

So here we are now on day 3 of their confinement. Daughter had very light symptoms which are resolving nicely, friend never had any. Her mom says that by Monday her daughter can come home if she’s never gotten any symptoms. She doesn’t think it’s worth it or necessary to jump through hoops at try to get our hands on more tests.

Husband and I have likewise stayed home, avoiding contact with the girls and with any outsiders. Really only a minor inconvenience, happily. Neither of us got tested, as there didn’t seem to be much point–either way our behavior would be the same. And while I had a sinus headache yesterday that seems readily attributable to my allergies–unseasonably warm, wet weather always brings it on for me.

We are all vaxxed and boosted, and for that I am wholeheartedly grateful. The last brush we had was when my daughter was dxed at school with Covid in spring 2021 and sent home to quarantine. We had just gotten the J&J vaccine a few days earlier but it was very frightening nonetheless. This is progress!

No matter which shot you got, I would definitely go get the booster. You may have to wait some period after the infection—I’d consult with a doctor.

With J&J I’d doubly recommend it, as the recommendations from the CDC is to get an mRNA booster after as few as two months. That suggests that the protection from J&J is not thought to last as long—at least, against delta and now omicron.

I hope your symptoms stay mild, and that everyone in the thread remains safe, and gets through any illness without too much fuss.

Thanks! As for my older son, here’s what his sickness arc has been— at first he was really complaining about how bad he felt, and at one point he said “if you and my brother don’t get sick, maybe there is something to the vaccine” which surprised me to hear. So I’ve been downplaying my symptoms to him, hoping that that idea might take hold….

…but now that he’s getting better, he’s talking again about how Covid is no worse than the common cold, and how it’s been overblown by Fauci and the eeevil liberal media, so yeah, he wavered a bit but seems to be jumping right back on the anti-vax bandwagon.

Sounds like you’re more responsible than your Dr. LOL.

People are now suggesting swabbing throat and nose for rapid tests. Omicron seems to be multiplying quite well in our throats.
https://slate.com/technology/2021/12/throat-swab-rapid-testing-omicron-effective.html

Well great. I have cold symptoms and lost some of my sense of taste. That’s mostly back after a day. Fast test was negative.