I guess pro journalists suck at spellchecker too.

Look out he’s got a organic chemical process!

It kind of amuses me when professionals end up with absurd substitutions to obscure words. Makes me feel a bit less jackassy about mine.

There’s a lot more wrong with that quote than just a spelling error. Reading that was painful.

But in this age of insta-news, “better to be first than to be right” seems to be the new mindset.

It could be worse.

Yes, if George W. Bush were heavily armed in a car in Manhattan, I’d think twice about threatening him, no matter how much ammonization i had on me.

I think newspapers (and even more so online news sources) consider copy editors are a luxury.

(BTW, I was always amused to see in the movie Never Been Kissed that Drew Barrymore’s character, a copy editor for the Chicago Sun-Times, has a private office with a window and a nice view and a personal assistant.)

And the article itself could use some proofreading.

Spell checker, fact checker, who has time these days!

Bolding mine - That’s really funny.

For the record, the OP’s title is missing a comma. Just sayin’. :smiley:

Never mind.

and it should either be …spellchecking… or …using a spellchecker…

“He’s my father!” WHAP “He’s my son!” WHAP “He’s my father and my son!”

Nevermind, it’s just Texas.

:smiley: (of course, for those following at home: one of George W’s twins IS named Barbara)

Well, I would indeed bide the Year Of The Whores a VERY hearty welcome!

I’m still giggling at the moment of violence.

Wait, what? “Fixated on Barbara Bush?!” <shudder> Now I’ve heard everything.

Until the next thing, should be along in <looks at watch> five minutes or so.

This recent article discussing the Shepard tone/scale spells it “Shepherd” 7 times. http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/01/the-illusion-that-makes-it-sound-like-a-pitch-is-constantly-rising/283417/

A lot of major news sites don’t even bother to run spellcheckers. I saw one major site yesterday had “January” misspelled.

If they can’t even be bothered to run a spellchecker on an article, can you trust the actual content at all?

Not a luxury. A commodity. The once-great Hartford Courant **has **copyeditors… in Chicago. They’re okay at all that Englishing stuff, but they don’t know streets from towns from parks from public figures, so absurdities abound.

A friend of mine once had a neighbor who was a Special Agent of the U.S. Secret Service. This was years before 9/11. He wasn’t on the Presidential Productive Detail. One day he showed us what was in the trunk of his company car.

:eek:

One does not want to fuck with the USSS.

From today’s Christian Science Monitor. When what used to be one of the finest news sources in the country can’t get a headline right…

“Drought-Striken California Welcomes Weekend Storm”