My moronic local news "sight" (lame)

No, I DO know how to spell site, as in website. The lack of comprehension of this and, well, just about every other aspect of spelling, grammar and usage is completely beyond the ken of my local news website.

This is the site:
http://www.kxmb.com/
Here is a typical article from the “local news” section:

**Car Crash

It’s an unusual site, but true…

You may have gotten an e-mail today showing what happened near the Bismarck High School.

Authorities say it’s happened at 8:30 this morning…

Details are sketchy.

A 17-year-old, authorities think may have been the driver, changed his story several times.

First saying he was driving and was not hurt then saying his friend was driving and yes, he was hurt.

He wasn’t planning on going to school today, he was just going to hang out.

It appears he just drove right underneath another parked car…

Authorities say alcohol was probably involved although the 17-year-old claims he was partying, but not drinking…
Of course, the investigation continues…**

This is the standard for journalism there. I just can’t take it anymore. My head hurts.

Holy shit, dude…you should totally send a letter of complaint to the owner of the station. See what he/she has to say for himself/herself.

I’d be totally interested in what they have to say about all that. Yech…

Looks like they’ve copied the reporter’s notes from a live hit and pasted it on the website. Betcha ten bucks the person who did the job has been ordered to throw stuff on the web in the middle of doing all the other work necessary to actually put out a TV broadcast.

I highly recommend you send an email to the news director complaining about atrocious spelling. If TV stations are going to go to the trouble of hosting a website, they’d be better off actually hiring people to do nothing but write for the web.

Ha! This report http://www.kxmb.com/getArticle.asp?ArticleId=181321 looks like a high school sophomore was asked to write a 500 word essay!

“The problem with cul de sacs is that they don’t go anywhere.” Umm, isn’t that their point?

I am constantly offended by the many common mistakes and misspellings on the web, but am often told -
“Like, dude, it’s just the net, like who cares?”

A lot of journalists are, as the saying goes, ot-nay at-thay ight-bray.

I have actually emailed them several times mainly pointing out the worst of the glaring spelling errors, but also imploring them to hire someone who actually graduated from kindergarten to write their content. The usually rush over and fix one or two words, but that’s about it.

Last week was interesting though. One of their moronic articles actually hit fark and, for a day or two, the site was a laughingstock. Here is the article, verbatim from the site (they have since cleaned it up somewhat after being emailed the fark link):
*Wildlife Biologist Loses Hunting Priviledges for a Year

An illegal shooting of a moose in Bottineau County has cost a U-S Fish and Wildlife Service biologist his hunting priviledges for a year.

Mike Olson is also ordered to pay 2-thousand dollars in restitution for the violation.

Olson says his wife, Hope, who is the state crime lab director, first hot the moose.

She had the moose license.

He says the moose didn’t die initially so HE shot it to end its suffering.

Olson says he knows what he did was wrong and that the violation is the low point of his nearly 20-year career with the Fish and Wildlife Service.*

Yep. HE (are they referring to the Almighty?) lost his priviledges after HE “hot the moose”. :smack:

It looks like they’re just throwing their scripts onto the Web site. Before the Internet, no one would have read the actual scripts. And if you read them out loud, they don’t sound any worse than any other tiny-market, crappy network affiliate news report. But getting made fun of on Fark should alert them to the fact that maybe they should raise their standards. Of course, that’s assuming anyone at the station reads Fark.

Why did I click that link? WHY WHY WHY?

Editing: Don’t be afraid of it. It wants to be your friend.

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, these are the Teleprompter scripts pasted in. A giveaway is something like “U-S,” which is done so the reader doesn’t say “us.” (Certain words in television scripts are often typed in caps for emphasis.) 2-thousand is also the correct Teleprompter construction so the reader doesn’t have to struggle or make any computations when seeing a 2 followed by a bunch of zeros while he/she is trying to read.

However, the guy might have said “crick” but someone should have known he was pronouncing “creek” that way!

Interesting. Makes sense actually.

Strange though…how did they end up with the “hot the moose” thing? And misspelling “privileges”?

And re: “crick” vs “creek”…we don’t say it that way around here. That’s a southern thang I believe.

So what’s wrong with that one? Obviously “it’s” is a contraction for “it was”. :stuck_out_tongue:

“I’m Ron… Burgundy?”
“Dammit. Who typed a question mark on the Teleprompter?”

I sent the writer an email to complain about his story.
I was pleased to receive his response:
Sent: Fri 11/16/07 3:27 PM
To: jali cook (<email removed>)

Thanks for the note. Sorry about all the misspelled words and non use of punctuation in my story. I do take a lot of pride in making sure my stories are accurate. I hate to use it as an excuse but sometimes we get so busy and there is literally just enough time to get the stories on the air. I will work a little harder from now on to make sure these things are corrected in my stories at least. Thanks again.

Brad Feldman
KXMB CBS 12
Bismarck, ND 58501
<phone removed>
<email removed>*

Back in the early 90s, I worked at an indie TV station in Groton, CT. One of the anchors would always spell out Saddam’s name phonetically, so what hit the prompter was “Sa-Dom Who-Sane.”

Of course, this was before the internet hit it big, so no danger of her script hitting a website.

jali, I went ahead and removed the email and phone info from your post. Not a criticism, I’d just hate for it to be a source of spam for either of you.

Giraffe,
Thanks! I didn’t think about that at all.

ahem I am not a journalist. I am certainly not a lot of journalists.

On the other hand, a lot of us are smarter than you. :smiley:

Honestly, many of my co-workers do not spell very well, but they work in a medium where it’s not a requirement. Newspaper and magazine writers should know how to spell. TV and radio? Not so much…

Closed Captioning is another matter of course. Most newsroom software, ENPS etc., will dump anything on the right side of the scripts directly into closed captioning.

For those who are unaware, the left side is reserved for director cues.