I hate America

“Baby, I’m a want you, Baby, I’m a need you?” Yeah, yeah, that’s rational. That makes sense.

Laa laaa l-la lu lalaaa…

AUUUGH!! :smack:

Well. I seem to have spent too much time in the desert.

Can I still hate America though?

America is a deliberate clone of the Crosty, Stills, Nash, and occasionally Young, sound. Ventura Highway is so derivative of CSNY stylistically and vocally that many, many people are still of the oppinion that V.H. is a CSNY tune.

It’s really quite shameless. America, if I may stray a bit into Pit territory, blows mangy leprous goats. I kind of wish David Crosby would sit on all of them.

Sure, go ahead. Everyone’s welcome to hate America. Mr. Bush says, “Bring it on!”

I always felt that America’s singer’s voice was even thinner and reedier than Mr. Young’s, and America didn’t write nearly as well.

OK, now that’s just mean!

Has there been a Neil Young non-appreciation thread yet that I can add to? I am really ashamed of hijacking this one so badly on an error. :smack:

Yeah! America, F$%& You!

Well, say what you want about the singer’s thin voice, but I find his advice way off the mark. After all, my dad and I just went through the desert in a car with no name. We didn’t need to get out of any rain because it generally doesn’t rain around here before July. As for the plants and birds and rocks and things…well, the plants and rocks and “things” just sat there and the birds and other wild animals chased us around begging for food, which we couldn’t give them because it was illegal to feed the animals in the national parks.

As for the desert turning into a sea–well, there were signs in Zion Canyon warning people about flash floods and how tourists were assuming a risk by going there. That’s the closest we got to any large body of water.

My skin didn’t turn red because I remembered to use a sunblocker.

And we didn’t turn the car with no name loose after ten days. I doubt the rental company would have appreciated that anyway.

So was the singer in a real desert, or did they just have stronger drugs back then?

My name is Inigo Montoya…You thought Neil Young was in America…Prepare to Die!!

LOL! Sorry, I couldn’t resist!

Seriously though, don’t sweat it. I’ve seen it happen many times. Either people think Neil Young was in America, or they think A Horse With No Name is a Neil Young song. Weird, but true.

Heheheeeeeeeeee! Now I have screwed up.

That was supposed to be:

My name is Chunky Bum…You thought Neil Young was in America…Prepare to Die!!

:smack:

It happens from time to time. People feel the need to use my handle and go off half cocked.

This thread isn’t a poll or light debate. Oh, darn, it’ll have to grace another forum! Now which gets the honors…MPSIMS or Cafe Society…decisons, decisions.

Okay. It’s about music, provocative title aside. Cafe Society it is…

Off it goes, airborne “alligator lizards” and all.

TVeblen,
IMHO mod

chorting evilly the whole time

I feel the need to say that whoever told Neil Young that he could sing, did a great diservice to this world. He can write, he can play, that I give you. He cannot sing his way out of soaked toilet tissue. I think my farts have better pitch than that guy.

Just my opinion though. He might rock if you like sniffing glue. :slight_smile:

No offense meant guys.

I like sniffing these,so he only rocks a little.

Neil Young WAS in America !! He appears here quite often. Heck, he does leave Canada every once in a while.

Okay, all foolishness aside. :smiley:

I do like some songs by America - especially “Sister Golden Hair”.

America probably had the worst grammar of any musical act. Besides the infamous “cause there ain’t no one for to give you no pain” how about “Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn’t, didn’t already have” ?

[QUOTE=Loopydude]
America is a deliberate clone of the Crosty, Stills, Nash, and occasionally Young, sound. Ventura Highway is so derivative of CSNY stylistically and vocally that many, many people are still of the oppinion that V.H. is a CSNY tune.
QUOTE]

Until I searched vainly on a Seals & Crofts greatest hits album for Ventura Hightway, I was certain it was theirs!

Oy!

Wow, all this time I thought it was

In the desert you can’t remember your name
'Cause there ain’t no one for to give you no fame

Heck, it even makes sense that way if you think about it.

Time to toddle off to kissthisguy.com

Your vitriol against America and Bread are understandable. However, you must realize that if you’d had your way, every woman attending a state university between 1969 and 1981 would have had to sit in her dorm room with nothing better to listen to than the plumbing gurgling through the cinderblock walls.

If this is the attitude you choose to adopt, keep your Fry boots and sheepskin vest in the closet and stay away from any 1970’s Sensitive Male Re-enactors events, lest England Dan and John Ford Coley personally administer a brutal consciousness-raising session.

Are you out of your fucking mind?

Did you live in a cave listening to SNAG-rock for the entire punk revolution?

SNAG-rock?

Anyway, I liked America from the first time I heard “Horse with No Name”. It was the 60s, after all, even if the year was 1972. Trust me, it all made sense then.

The first album is a masterpiece of pop songwriting. They had a fantastic ability to create hooks, their voices were perfect for the music, and they backed it up with solid strumming guitars. Even the non-singles were fine songs.

And yeah, they knocked Neil Young’s “Heart of Gold” out of number one. Young has been an amazing if sometimes self-destructingly idiosyncratic musician throughout his whole career, but Horse beats Heart as a pop song.

I just looked it up. Here are the number one songs for the first part of 1972:

Melanie, “Brand New Key”
Don McLean, “American Pie”
Al Green, “Let’s Stay Together”
Nilsson, “Without You”
Neil Young, “Heart of Gold”
America, "A Horse with No Name’
Roberta Flack, “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face”
The Chi-Lites, “Oh Girl”
The Staple Singers, “I’ll Take You There”
Sammy Davis, Jr., “The Candy Man”

Oh, man, it’s hard to go on. But wait, there’s worse ahead:

Neil Diamond, “Song Sung Blue”
Bill Withers, “Lean on Me”
Gilbert O’Sullivan, “Alone Again (Naturally)”
Looking Glass, “Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl)”
Three Dog Night, “Black and White”
Mac Davis, “Baby Don’t Get Hooked on Me”
Michael Jackson, “Ben”
Chuck Berry, “My Ding-a-Ling”
Johnny Nash, “I Can See Clearly Now”
The Temptations, “Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone”
Helen Reddy, “I Am Woman”
Billy Paul, “Me and Mrs. Jones”

In that company, America was a rock powerhouse. Something to jump on whenever it came on Top 40 radio, which was still going strong. It had guitars. And a beat. Hey, they kept Donny Osmond’s “Puppy Love” from going to number one.