I hate clothing stores that are sorted by brand name

I was looking to buy some pants today. I am tall and thin, and it is hard to find pants that fit me. I went into a couple of clothing stores today, and when I asked someone if they had something that would fit me, the first thing they asked was what brand I wanted. I said I didn’t care as long as it fits. So we walk all through the store, checking each section, finding nothing. Why do they have to do it this way? I don’t want “something made by Carhart”, I want a pair of pants! Grocery stores don’t have a “Nestle” section and a “General Mills” section where they just dump all the products made by those companies.

There is a small upside to this practice: if you know a certain brand of clothing fits you better than other brands do, you can limit your search to just that section of the store. (In my case, I find that pants made by Alfred Dunner fit me better than most other brands, so I start my search there first.) In general, though, it’s an annoying practice.

Actually, they do.
Just look in the soft drink aisle, for example: there is one section of all the Coca-Cola products, a section for the Pepsi products, a section for the store-brand generics, etc.

Sometimes, you will even see different types of shelving, because the bottlers are asked to help pay for/provide the shelving for ‘their’ section.

Isn’t this the standard? I’m not sure I can think of a store that puts clothing from multiple designers on the same rack/shelf, unless it’s clearance/on sale.

The only thing I can think that separates by size instead of brand is shoes.

I’ve never seen this. It’s always the cola drinks go here, the fizzy fruit drinks go here, offbeat soft drinks go here. Coke is next to Pepsi is next to store brand cola. 7up is next to Sprite is next to store brend lemon/lime fizz.

It’s not like this at most stores around here. Usually all the Coke products are at one end of the aisle, all the Pepsi products are at the other end, with store brand and other smaller brands in the middle. Often, it’s the distributor that stocks the shelves, not store employees.

I think Wal Mart kinda does. It’s hard to tell because I don’t really look at the brand tags but I think their scheme is to arrange their racks by type of attire. They do still have areas by brand, though. Like in the plus ladies section (ok that’s the only section I am familiar with) there’s a wall of Just My Size stuff, and a table of shirts along the aisle that are all one brand.

You went to the wrong store.

AFAICT there are damn few department stores left that don’t follow this irritating practice.

And what about those weird stores that only stock their own clothing brand?

Amigo, boffking, I feel your pain. I’m a 5’8" female who wears a 34" inseam. Long-enough pants used to be virtually impossible to find, and now the women’s clothing makers have figured out that “extra long” or whatever is a way to sell yet another pair of pants to women so they can wear them solely with heels.
This, of course, is not your issue, so I come bearing a wonderful gift that another Long Tall Sally (with a 35-36 inseam!) shared with me long ago.

Seek stores that hang the pants on display on long vertical racks or rounders. This works at the Sal Arm and TJ Maxx and the like, and will cut your shopping hell time in half. Go to the pants display and bend over so you can view the bottom of the rack. Grab the two or three pairs that drag on the floor, then check to see if the waist measurment matches you.
Voila! You’ve just eliminated all the highwaters from the equation.
Yes, I still do this.

Hope you find your perfect pants soon.

I’m sure they hate you too.

True, but the Pepsi is not 50 feet away from the Coke with junk food in between.

Back to the OP - I’m with you. Jeans are sorted by brand, but all the jeans are close together. But if I just want to browse shirts I have to wander all over.
This is fairly new by which I mean less than 20 years old. Macy’s, I’m looking at you.

But what if the Nestle Chocolate milk powder was next to the Nestle Pure Life Water and NesCafe coffee and Nestle Chocolate Bars and the Purina Dog Food and the DiGiorno’s Pizzas and then three aisles over was Pepsi Produts: Aquafina water, Lays Potato chips, Quaker Oats, Life and Cap’n Crunch but if you wanted Rice Crispies you had to back up to the Kellogg’s aisle with the Twinings and Pringles.

Grocery stores are set up by product type (more or less) and the broken down, within the aisle (again, more or less) by brand. If you want Nestle Pure Life water, you go to the beverage aisle, not the Nestle aisle.

It makes sense. When I’m at the clothing store looking for ‘a nice shirt’ it’s easier when I can look at all the shirts, not grab a few shirts from here and then look around hoping to find more shirts in another section.

If I’m at the grocery store and want bottled water, I want it all in one section, not scattered up and down 4 different aisles.

Anyways, that’s just not how those types of stores work. There’s no ‘shirt person’ but there is an Izod person or a Columbia Person or a Dockers Person and it’s easier if all their stuff is in one place. The in store person knows their product line and sales rep can set work with the managers to make it look good. It makes each brand feel like it’s own store and since a lot of people like certain brands they don’t have to spend two hours running around the entire store, they can just go to one area and get everything they need.

ETA, it also probably depends on where you shop. Kohls is sort of a middle ground for how it’s set up. Some areas broken down by brand, some by type of clothing. Higher end stores all by brand, lower end stores all by type of clothing.

However, if you have an odd fit, IMO, your best bet is to find a brand and size that works (off the rack) and buy a bunch of them at once, then you’re good to go for a while. That or keep the tag and order online when you need more.

Groceries are the most obvious of the “This seller gets these shelves” operations.

They actually have the drivers of the food trucks maintain their dedicated spaces. You will see the Frito-Lay guy stocking shelves - right up to the end of a certain section.
The bread trucks do the same.

Ever see a department store with cash registers in certain departments?
Zales runs/ran many of the Jewelry Departments in department stores (since the advent of the POS registers, the separate cash registers are not needed - each sale is tracked by department).

Each label having dedicated space is not surprising - the rag trade is vicious - getting stuck with Last Year’s design will ruin a store.

Just like having expired foodstuffs on the shelves.
The store owners try to off-load the risk onto the manufacturers.

IME the vast majority of stores are arrange into type first, then by brand. So all jeans are together, and within that space you have levi jeans area, lee jeans area etc. Which works well for everyone.
But I can’t speak for how things are in the US (last time I was there, the only time I bought clothes was in wal-mart, but it also followed this style).

Group everything by brand first is a newer phenomenon IME. Trying to build brand awareness at the expense of my time. I avoid such stores.

That depends on how you shop. Burlington Coat Factory for the most part has racks for blouse, racks for pants,racks for jackets etc. But they used to have a section where the suit separates were hung by brand. They seem to have gotten rid of it- and ever since, I haven’t bought much. Because I give up before I find the pants and matching jacket in my size- it just takes too long. Other stores do the same sort of thing for non-suits - they hang the pants with the coordinating shirts and so on. Good for people like me who can’t coordinate on our own.

Every store is probably going to have a little bit of mixing and matching. Just because there’s no real ‘best way’ so every manager arranges and rearrange and supervisors, store owners, sales reps, regional reps etc are all going to micro manage to a point as well.

How about wine? Arrange by type or brand. If you’re looking for a Merlot, do you to bee line for the merlots, the reds or should be organized by brand. I mean, if you want Yellow Tail, should all the Yellow Tails be together or should the Chard be in one spot and the Shiraz be 15 feet away?

(The answer is, by the brand, it’s a trainwreck when it’s by type).

Grocery stores do have some weird branding sections sometimes, the one that comes to mind is Goya, their Goya products are usually all together in the Goya section only and not on the shelves of where those types of products normally are.

This is why I do as much of my clothing shopping online as possible - you can sort and filter products by the stuff that you care about.

Well, it’s one reason. There’s also the convenience of not waiting in line at the one cashier station in the whole place that’s actually staffed, behind the woman with twenty coupons, paying in cash, whose young nephew just knocked over an entire rack of pants. (All things that happened the last time I tried to buy a shirt at an actual physical store).