I hate my job but I feel guility about quitting

They have no guilt when they can employees, why should you have any? There is a large pool of talented people without jobs. You are not indispensable. If you got killed in a car accident, they would move on without you.

I read your other thread and I definitely see where you’re coming from. It would be aggravating to work with someone like that. It reminds me when I had a PhD on my project. He checked in some code which I was trying to build. There was some sort of compiler error in his code. I told him about it and and he said that was impossible. He then proceeded to go through the proof of the algorithm on the whiteboard to show that his code was correct. Ummm… dude, you have a syntax error. Fix it.

That guy has bad interpersonnel skills. I do hate working with those types of people. But if you leave, you’ll probably never get another job from that company. You won’t be able to use them as a reference. They may badmouth you to other companies. The team members may end up working for other companies and they may shoot you down from getting contracts at the other companies. As an independent contractor, you need to think about your reputation. If you get the reputation of leaving a contract halfway through, companies won’t want to do business with you.

This might be advantageous under the right circumstances…

In this economy, though, the rule should be “if you can get a job shoveling manure, take it and pretend to like it.”

He’s absolutely 100% right. Don’t burn any bridges, but do leave. Be professional.

I guess I have made up my mind. I just can’t communicate with the PhD supervisior. It’s like I am asking something about apples and he would reply to me regarding oranges. A simple request for more details on a requirement would result in some rant from him. I am tendering after Christmas to put in my one month so as not to spoil anyone’s holiday plans. I guess this is the crux of me banging the wall and doing a thousand facepalm per days.

Appreciate crossed fingers, virtual hugs, good thoughts and prayers as even considering this is sending me pangs of panic attack (and lots of conflicting thoughts. Gr)

Thanks.

Sounds like a good compromise.
Good luck and best wishes!

Yeah, but if you have two possible jobs, staying at the one where you shovel manure only because you happen to have it isn’t the best option - in this or any economy.

Hmm, true. I missed the “more or less secure” part in the OP. If there’s a chance it’ll fall through, I’m a “bird in the hand” type.

It’s your life, you have every right in the world to choose where you spend the better portion of your weekdays. I’m sure they can find another software developer to take your place, particular in today’s economy. And even if their plans do get derailed, it’s their fault for not planning for this contingency and for failing to try harder to make it worthwhile for you to stay.

No one else is going to care about your career, you have to take care of yourself. If you see a better job, than take it. Management there wouldn’t think twice about laying you off to get someone cheaper or the boss wants to hire a friend from college or a friend’s son for the job. Lots of time management fires people and blames them for it, when in reality they lost the budget due to their own lack of good management skills.

Don’t feel bad for the people you left behind at the old job. The company existed before you took the job and they got along fine and they will get along fine without you. Sure, people will say they are sorry to see you go but a week after you are gone your name won’t even be mentioned. I know this from experience having worked at many companies and seeing others leave. The “shock” of someone leaving they get over much more quickly than you think.

If an employer is not giving you what you feel you deserve and what the market will offer for your skills than it’s best for you to look elsewhere for a job. I have resigned from jobs and I can’t say I was ever sorry I did.

If you feel you were badly needed in the job and that’s what is bothering you about leaving, it is management’s job to make sure they have backup for you and have trained others to do the critical parts of your job. In reality, the employer simply might not value you as much as you value yourself there. This is not a reflection on your skill level, but more of a reflection of what management is like.

Read the last few pages of the “Workplace Griping” thread. Pay special attention to my posts and what everyone’s said about my situation.

Now if you could see the 1,000-lb weight that’s been lifted off my back, and hear how happy I am going to be when the hiring manager calls today, you would understand why I might remember this day as one of the happiest ones of my life. I lost all guilt when my employer treated me (and to be fair others) like a rented mule, and I will feel no shame in handing my resignation letter to my boss at some point in the near future.

Zombies everywhere! This thread is 5 years old, people.

Nevermind. BRAINNNNNS!