I Hate Rhinovirus

I assume this virus was named because it feels like a rhino was stuck up your nose and took a shit in your sinuses.

Bricker Jr caught this thing last week. He suffered through the weekend, poor little guy. Now he’s fine, but Mrs. Bricker and I have both been laid out… er… cold. We’re coughing, sneezing, snot-filled, and in bad temper.

Rhinovirus is not named for the rhinoceros, but the Rhine valley, where it was discovered omong the hippos. Since they do not have a German word for hippo, the Rhino part stuck.

Amen, Bricker

I’ve got a cold now, and I don’t like it one bit. :frowning:

Nice try. Check any dictionary and you’ll find that the “rhino-” part is from the the Greek word for “nose.” Or maybe you were just joshing with us.

Dear Og, almost everyone I know has a damn cold right now! I haven’t. Yet. I know it’s just a matter of time before I get it, too. Og forbid.

I think many people are getting it because their kids are now back in school, after having their summer break, and the schools are nothing but great big, warm, moist, cootie/germ farms.

The kids catch it, then pass it around to other kids, the kids come home and give it to dad, mom and sibs. It’s a vicious cycle…

The first clue that it’s a joke is that the Germans do have a word for hippopotamus. Ironically enough, it’s “elephant”.

If it makes you feel any better, it could be an adenovirus, too.