I have a stupid Star Wars question...

I find it hard to believe that anyone who has seen all of these poorly scripted ( continuity wise, individualy, they work fine) movies could believe such a thing!:eek:

OK, where is everyone getting the idea that there was tongue action there? Last time I saw it, we were looking more or less at the back of her head, and the kiss was quick enough that there wouldn’t be much chance for tongue. Besides, it’s quite obvious that the only reason for that kiss was to spite Han, anyway, and he certainly didn’t know they were siblings.

Of course, the first point here is vaguely and the second very reminiscent of Kurosawa’s The Hidden Fortress. Lucas has hardly hidden what’s an obvious connection, but it’s nice to a missing link making it more explicit.

I’d say the first point was also very reminiscent. The “connection” is that Star Wars is a remake of The Hidden Fortress, reworked extensively enough to have taken on a life of its own, much like Sanjuro, and The Seven Samurai were reworked respectively into A Fistfull of Dollars and The Magnificent Seven, each of which spawned sequels that bore no direct connection to the Japanese originals. Likewise, City on Fire was extensively “borrowed” from in creating Reservoir Dogs.

I think it’s pretty clear that Lucas has been making it up as he goes along, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Isaac Asimov wrote his Foundation and Robot stories without any overall plan, and said in one essay how he was surprised himself to discover connections some stories had to each other. The difference, of course is that Asimov was a great writer, while Lucas is an adequate writer and a great visual storyteller. He should sketch out the stories and let Lawrence Kasdan (or someone else who can write dialog) write the scripts.

I’d say the first point was also very reminiscent. The “connection” is that Star Wars is a remake of The Hidden Fortress, reworked extensively enough to have taken on a life of its own, much like Sanjuro, and The Seven Samurai were reworked respectively into A Fistfull of Dollars and The Magnificent Seven, each of which spawned sequels that bore no direct connection to the Japanese originals. Likewise, City on Fire was extensively “borrowed” from in creating Reservoir Dogs.

I think it’s pretty clear that Lucas has been making it up as he goes along, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Isaac Asimov wrote his Foundation and Robot stories without any overall plan, and said in one essay how he was surprised himself to discover connections some stories had to each other. The difference, of course is that Asimov was a great writer, while Lucas is an adequate writer and a great visual storyteller. He should sketch out the stories and let Lawrence Kasdan (or someone else who can write dialog) write the scripts.

Bail Antilles was mentioned in Episode I. Bail Organa appears in Episode II.

Cliegg is a name re-used in Episode II (Cliegg Lars) , as is the name Whitesun (Beru Whitesun, Owen Lars’s girlfriend).

When he needs inspiration, he has it all stored away.

I believe that Lucas’s very basic plot that he had figured once he’d settled on the first movie’s story, has consequently been stuck to pretty closely. But it’s in the fleshing out that variations start to come into play. When he claims he had it all worked out ahead of time, I believe he’s being honest, to a degree.

Guinastasia wrote;

It is because they were already dead before the A New Hope opens, right? I had long felt that Obi’s fade-out before the death stroke hit was because he wasn’t ever really there, just a manifestation of The Force.

No offence but that sounds a bit more deep than what Lucas’ll be going for.

I bet it’s gonna be something like them having so many midichlorians that their bodies are eaten by them when they die :).

Just remember: Boba Fett was originally supposed to be a one-movie throwaway character. He’s only gotten so much exposure (and backhistory!) because Lucas is pimpin’ him to the fanboys.

No, no, a billion times NO!! There needs to be a scene in Episode II that goes something like this…

ANAKIN: “But Qui-Gon told me that midichlorians were living beings that communicated the Force to you.”
OBI-WAN: “Yeah, he told you that because, at the time, you were a fucking stupid punk kid who couldn’t act… he knew that you wouldn’t understand a complex explanation. Now shut up and eat your nerf stew.”

Don’t worry, he MORE than made up for that by subjecting us to Jar Jar.

Uh, *Fistful * is a remake of *Yojimbo *, the first one. Sanjuro is the sequel.

I was taking the connection, but not the details of the original plot, as common knowledge. I’d regard Lucas’ reworking to be sufficiently great that it’s not quite a remake - it’s more a matter of incorporating several specific elements from Kurosawa. Just as, if you want, you can identify other elements from other films. If Lucas hadn’t acknowledged it as a starting point, I suspect most viewers could watch both without explicitly noticing the link. That wouldn’t have been the case if he’d filmed any draft where Luke is a general guiding her through enemy lines.

Well, telling the story from a pair of low status comic relief is the most obvious element the final film uses from The Hidden Fortress. However, the original peasants are so n-th grade in status that I’m not sure that “captured Empire bureaucrats” are that natural a translation. A pair of droids actually seems a closer parallel to Kurosawa’s nobodies.

i have bought the episode ii book, just released. i am up to page 26. how owen lars is related to luke is explained. i will vaguely hint that uncle owen is a paternal relation.

Did C3-PO ever redeem him being an ass, and save the day

Heh. They could subtitle it The Sixth Force Sense.

“I see dead Jedi”

There was a scene that was filmed for TESB, but was ultimately cut. Apparently, the Rebels had a bunch of Wampas (those big, yeti-like creature… one tried to give Luke a nose-job) locked up in a cell inside their base, and had a sign marked “Danger! Wampas!” or somesuch. Anyway, as Han, Leia, and Threepio were heading for the Falcon, Threepio stops, and removes the “Danger!” sign from the door. Later, a bunch of stormtroopers go in the unmarked door, and… well… you get the idea.

So, he sort of redeemed himself. :smiley:

I had an acquaintance in college who insisted with a few days of the opening of Empire that Luke and Leia were siblings, to him it was obvious. I didn’t really believe it until ROTJ, although it didn’t come as a surprise at that point.

Bonzer: After reading your response a couple of times, I don’t see any real difference between your description of the connection between The Hidden Fortress and Star Warsand mine, other than whether to call it a remake.

If the primary source for the plot of your film is another film, even if extensively modified in the process of making the subsequent film, IMO, it’s a remake. Quentin Tarantino may have discarded more than half of the plot of City on Fire in making Reservoir Dogs (in the process making a marginally better movie), but it’s still a remake.

A fair summary:) Actually, I think the only disagreement is of the half empty, half full variety. While I’m emphasising the differences - particularly as they evolved over the scripting process - you’re emphasising the similarities.

the real only thing that has stayed constant in the whole series so far has to be the outstanding composing/conducting by john williams. he has had as big a had in it as lucas, in my opinion. he never fails to impress me, williams that is.