I have promises to keep

As this thread has wandered into this territory without my help, I won’t feel as if I am hijacking it. What I am hoping is that some of you folks can answer a question for me.

Specifically, what did friend Scylla do to earn this sort of bile from folks? I do get that some folks find his writing overblown, and do not enjoy it (I suspect a small element of the green monster there, but that is just my opinion), and I get that some folks disagree with his politics. That said, some of what I am seeing here is terribly over to top.

What gives folks?

My comments were uncalled for and I apologize, specifically to Scylla. I hope you get your woes sorted out.

First: BobNewbie is hilarious.

Second: If you post in the Pit, you should know it’s sort of open season…and it is the post which is being ‘attacked,’ not the poster. Well, initially, anyhow.

Third: If you look at it objectively, the essay masquerading as an OP really is… well, FRAUGHT. You can tell that the person writing it was completely and totally in love with the ‘sound’ of his own writing. Objectively, it reads like something a Freshman Comp student would write when given the assignment, “Write about despair from the point of view of someone you’ve never met.”

Fourth: I understand that, when the post is translated from Scyllaese to English, it means he’s going through some hard times. As should be obvious, no one’s going to come in and say, “You’re stupid for having hard times.” I hope he gets through this whatever-the-hell-it-is reasonably unscathed, too.

Fifth: That doesn’t change the fact that the post itself is laughable AND was OPd in the Pit, and thus stands open to whatever mockery people deem fit to throw on it, IMNPFHO.

I can’t speak for others. I like Scylla’s writings. I am amused, however, when someone who is respected by many (including myself, not least for the blimps) is treated irreverently. I am sure many of us look forward to the day when we can conjure enough respect to be worthy of irreverance.

Oh and props again to BobNewbie.

This is why you should always carry a light but effective waterproof.

I’d love to go into detail about what Scylla has done to earn such nasty comments, but I’m busy right now. I need to go polish my Viper.

IMHO, post your pity party in the right forum and you won’t have people calling you out. Pretty tough, eh?

For a while, I thought the LiveJournal TrainWreckSpotting was pathetic - it was an ugly underbelly of pettiness and spite. But this thread has displayed its absolute necessity to exist in some form or fashion.

Well yeah sure it’'s the pit so we should really pull out all the stops. Oh yeah, and we should snark about his writing style too.

I don’t usually read Scylla’s stuff but I think anyone in a situation where there was BRAIN SURGERY on him or a family member shouldn’t get shit. I’m not for a kindler gentler pit, but for some reason this isn’t mundane or pointless and really shouldn’t belong there.

For some reason now I know who those people are in the anonymous places who bitched and shit about Scylla and then did the Happy Dance[sup]TM[/sup] when he was gone for awhile.

I guess you’ve grown cojones and stopped bitching in LJ. You thought his viper storywas awful and demonstrated that he’s a shit. Fine. But calling this a “pity party” is fucking awful.

If your least favorite relative had brain surgery would you tell him to stop wallowing in a pity party? Would you hark back to that time he said something rude about handicapped persons and say, “hey this guy deserves no sympathy”? Not unless that relative is out killing baby animals, aping, murdering or pillaging…

And by posting it in the pit he’s open for critisicm? Normally I agree with this but this seems to be a bit more than “woe is me” if you can get past the part where you don’t like the way he writes it or things he’s written in the past.

I suppose if I would have started a pit thread about my last miscarriage, which I think I did mentioon in one, I would have opened myslef up for comments about how I brought it on myself for being a bitch? Nice.

Good for you!

Regards,
Shodan

No, you probably don’t - they were only willing to say shit anonymously, remember?

It really looks as though a couple of people have issues about LiveJournal, but I’m not sure why they brought them up in this thread.

Scylla posted in his inimitable* “Lookit me, maw - I’m writin’ so purdy!” style, and someone came in and pointed it out…and got piled on for not respecting Scylla enough. And as said someone pointed out, some of the people doing that were pretty purple about it too.

“Normally I agree…” But not when it’s someone everyone knows and adores. Also, I pointed out that once you get past the style it’s obvious there are probs and I hope he gets past those. However, the style really is melodramatic and precious, and I’ll stand by that if he couldn’t take the criticism of the style, he shouldn’t have posted it.

I think he can take the criticism without comment or ignore it entirely. I was posting my opinion of the style because the notion that BobNewbie posted in this thread just to crawl up a (all together now) MUCH-LOVED-AND-WELL-RESPECTED-POSTER’s ass and couldn’t POSSIBLY have just read it and felt like commenting on the syle - which IS fraught - is ludicrous.

If I posted about, I dunno, my MOTHER dying and wrote in a manner that was laughable, I’d expect THE MANNER to be laughed at.

• not really.

Really? I mean, I guess you’d be right to expect that, because there’s a lotta assholes around, but I don’t think they’d be right to laugh at you. I think they’d be assholes.

Daniel

I don’t see many people piling on to BobNewby here. Most of the objections have been towards the far more personal posts made by ElvisL1ves and Weirddave.

I don’t think I have ever seen a thread that has so clearly violated the don’t be a jerk rule as this one.

There have been many. I would love to go in to detail about them and post links. But I am busy. I need to go polish my Hyundai.

Really? And you’ve been around since 2001?

Odd.

Not the way it’s done, lezlers. “Obviously short and lives under a bridge” obviously claims someone is a troll. The circumlocution doesn’t give the action a pass. Do not do this again.

TVeblen
Pit mod

Can you think of a better example?

Goddammit, that used to be okay. I swear to god, I’ve been warned twice in the past few months for doing something that used to be perfectly okay to do. It’s starting to get frustrating. It appears it’s time to engage in a careful reading of the pit rules to see if anything else has changed over the past year or so.

Anyhoo, I obviously jumped on Bob a bit prematurely anyway. If no one else interpreted the comment like I did, I’m assuming something’s off with my interpretation.

Apologies to him and promise to not intentionally break any more board rules, TVeblen.

I don’t know what to make of this one.

This just really sucks.

Thanks for the good thoughts, especially from those I’ve crossed swords with. I appreciate it.
I’m sorry this thing is ugly and regret starting it. Maybe I should have known better, but this really surprises me that it got this way.

Why don’t we just close it? It ain’t worth it, and it doesn’t really matter.