I just finished the MSF rider's course. Woohoo!

Gonna get my motorcycle license now. I’m glad I took the course. Some folks tried to tell me it was a waste of time and money, but I really wanted the hands-on training from experts.

I learned some great stuff on two wheels and in the classroom. The number of fatal accidents NOT caused by the rider is surprisingly small. I feel a lot better about riding on the street now. I would have been nervous just not knowing that bit of trivia.

Now, off to buy a Hayabusa! Just kidding, although I do have a pretty big bike. It’s an '85 FJ1100. Nowhere near as fast as the 'busa.

… but plenty of grunt, so be careful, my friend. Shiny side up!

Good luck, from a fellow Yammie rider. :slight_smile:

Great job- I did mine a few years ago and was happy to have the training. Woo!

Tell those folks who said it was a waste to stuff it. I took that course after riding for years, and learned a hell of a lot. Take it easy when you get out there. When someone tells you the top end on that bike, trust them, don’t try to prove it to yourself. Have fun!

I agree with the above. Got mine about a year ago, and am glad I did.

Here’s a question for you that have taken any MSF course - did you or did you not feel like THE biggest squid on the planet after the first few hours on the course??

Congrats Kid - I’m a big supporter of the MSF. They teach good, solid, fundamentals. They’ve managed to break several of my bad habits (picked up from self-taught dirtbike riding…)

Keep riding, keep practicing and keep learning - MSF isn’t the only outfit teaching. I’m looking in to a school right now taught by state motor officers - they say it’s very intense. That could be pretty cool.

Ride safe!

Thanks guys.

UncleBill- I found it pretty odd that one of those who said it was a waste is a commissioned officer (I’m a soldier). Weird.

TVGuy-
I didn’t feel like a squid, but I guess that’s because I have never ridden before. It was a small class; only 5 of us. None had any real experience.

I did have to unlearn some preconceived notions. I kept wanting to put my knee down in walking-speed maneuvers. Not really sure why either. Maybe it’s all those magazine ads and stories with photos of bikes nearly horizontal in a curve. (???)

BTW- the bike I rode for this was a Kawasaki Super Sherpa.
They also had a Suzuki GN125 and some Honda 250 Nighthawks. They said the cruisers had been returned just before our class. Would have been interesting to ride one in the 250cc class. I like the cruiser/chopper style in addition to…well…speed. I have a derelict KZ1000 that I bought to build a chopper from. :cool:

Further proof of the anectdote that 10% of any group are fools or idiots. VERY glad you didn’t listen to that zero.

Good job.

I have been riding for a few years, and I am going to take the MSF course this summer.

Bravo, you just increased your lifespan. Statistically speaking, of course.

I am a big fan of the MSF course. It un-taught me lots of things I’d learned from motorcycle magazines and TV riders, and I’m certain that I have avoided the avoidable injuries in large part because of the caution, principles, and skills learned in that week of afternoons at the community college eight years ago.

Congrats on taking the course. I’ve taken it twice now, well the advanced course anyway. I would suggest now that after a few months you take the advanced course as well. I understand that they changed the beginners course and no longer teach the locking of the rear tire. I know that even after all the miles I’ve done I locked up my rear wheel by being stupid a few months ago and having just retaken the MSF course I remembered to just ride it out.

I"d be careful of that FJR1100, though I’ve never riden one I’m sure they can be a handful for a new rider.

oh congrats on taking the course, Im going to be taking mine in the spring time and already got the helmet for the class. Over here they test you after the last day of the class so you dont have to go to the dmv for it. But its very exciting.