I just got accused of being a hacker!

Hey, I was in that conversation! Well, not that conversation, but I was talking to Flami while that was happening. That’s not a bad idea, Una Persson, but this guy was an idiot/jerk of the first order, and he wouldn’t listen to that kind of logic.

Oh, I suggested this thread, too. :cool:

insert a little victory dance here

I’d say spelling’s already been destroyed / all shot to hell, given that you managed to misspell “grammar” in your post. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

I don’t think so… I thought of that possibility myself. Then again, that reminds me of a question I was going to ask:

How do you know when your computer is hacked?
I’ve also heard that you can get viruses by looking at AIM profiles for some odd reason. Saw something on it today, but I have no idea how that would happen. Any ideas?

F_X

I remember reading about this on a site about pranks.

It described a whole IM conversation where the person doing the prank randomly accused someone of hacking them.
Maybe this guy saw it too.

Well, I didn’t make this up, or take a site as my inspiration. This really happened.

And maybe he did, I don’t know… still was pretty unexpected, though.
As for his trying to get my information in an unconventional way, there are better ways to do it than that. (IMO) I don’t mind a little derivation from the norm ( :wink: ), but what he did was unacceptable to me.

F_X

Emliy Litella.

Emily Litella.

Gaudere strikes again!

I hate it when I get them mixed up!!! :smack:

Don’t feel bad, Ponder. Reader’s Digest recently got them mixed up, too.

Sunspace, can you imagine the firestorm that would have erupted had the thread title been “I just got accused of being a cracker!”?

Hmmm… “cracker, the computer criminal”, or “cracker, the safe opener”, or…? There’s also a derogatory southern-US usage of the word, right? I don’t actually know what that usage means…

The “cracker” versus “hacker” blurring is one of my pet peeves as a technical writer.

“Cracker” as in a pejorative for Caucasians.

Maybe not a firestorm, dan, but plenty of Dopers would have been confused. I bet the majority of us think “slur” when they see “cracker” while “hacker” gets the point across but annoys a few.

. There. I didn’t actually know that. I thought it meant, basically, “wilfully ignorant rural inhabitant”.

[sub]And of course, I forgot “cracker” as in “snack food” as well.[/sub]

Well, you know what happens when people get confused when race is an issue. So hacker, although perhaps not technically correct, at least conveys the right image.

Well, he didn’t say that I was a “cracker”… if he had, I would have wondered what he was on.

Then again, I habe only a faint acquaintance with the term “cracker” when used in that context.

No idea who / what Rosannarosannadanna is, either. I have only a vague knowledge of the whole “Emily Litella” thing, so if someone could explain both of them and the differences… that might help too. :smiley:

F_X

Roseanne Roseannadanna and Emily Litella are both characters created by Gilda Radner for Saturday Night Live back in the early days. You can catch them on video, probably, or on the SNL reruns on Comedy Central. Roseanne’s tag line was, “It’s always something …” and Emily’s was, “Never mind!” Both uttered after long and usually rambling stories. You really have to see the character bits (usually done on the “news” segment on SNL) to “get” them–but trust me, Gilda was great!

Ah yes, I knew it had something to do with SNL. Thanks for the explanation, tarragon918. :slight_smile:

F_X