I KNEW that Olympic music sounded familiar

I tried to post this last night, but I think I hit submit just as the boards went down for their nightly maintenence.

Anyway, NBC has been playing this piece of music during their “here’s what’s coming up later” promos, and it sounded awfully familiar. I finally placed it last night - it’s the theme song to the short-lived 80s Bruce Campbell TV series, “The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr,” which I just finished watching a week or two ago.

So what’s the deal? Did the Olympics steal from Brisco, or did Brisco steal from the Olympics? Or did the music come first, and they both decided independently to use it? I MUST KNOW!!!

The Olympics broadcast uses all variety of music (from classical to rock to anthemic scores) as the purpose suits them. Actually, all sorts of sports broadcast and highlight shows do.

As they played the music for the opening sequence of the opening ceremonies on Friday (the bit narrated by James Earl Jones) my wife, my daughter and I simultaneously looked at the TV and said:

“Is that the theme from Jurassic Park???”

I’m not familiar with the Brisco County music, but Aaron Copland’s Fanfare for the Common Man always figures prominently in Olympic programming. I wish NBC would stop using it. I cannot hear it now without thinking “Olympic music”.

If you like Olympic music, there’s a great CD called Summon the Heroes you can get through Amazon. Lots of John Williams stuff, and more.

THAT’S what that was! :smack:
I knew I knew it, but I just couldn’t place it!

Thanks, kunilou.

Jurassic Park? For the Olympics? I don’t see any dinosaur races on the schedule, but, whatever… :rolleyes:

I see a new thread. “Is Jurassic Park 3 Better Than The Olympics?”

I heard the Jurassic Park music the other day too, and wondered what the hell was going on with that.

Our late news sports highlights music for the past couple of years has been, I believe, Bruce Hornsby and the Range.

I’m waiting for someone to use the Looney Tunes music The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down.

Considering the OP, I was expecting this to be about Deep Space Nine.

Its theme music is obviously inspired by Fanfare for the Common Man.

I miss the particular recording of the Olympic theme that was used in the '70’s (and into the early '80’s, I think) on… ABC? NBC? It was crisp, brash, and downright militaristic, with heavy timpani drumming and lots of trumpets.

I also miss the old ABC “Wide World of Sports” theme from the same era: “the thrill of victory… and the agony of defeat…” (cue to hapless skier).

The piece I have heard on the NBC radio promos is John Williams’ Olympic Fanfare and Theme. We played it in our high school band.

I can’t help but mutter under my breath 300 times a day (working in an electronics department where HD Olympics are on every big screen TV) my lyrics to Fanfare

THIS IS THE O-LYM-PIC THEME SONG (first phrase)
IT IS THE THEME SONG OF THE O-LY-YM-PICS… (second phrase)

Just do it syllable for syllable. Over and over, Then send the hate mail my way.

Actually, it’s a short-lived early '90s Bruce Campbell TV series ('93-'94). It premiered at the same time as the X Files (one lead in to the other).

You know, I was wondering about that, but I’m having a hard time thinking of any part of the 90s as a long time ago. I can’t BELIEVE 1990 was 14 years ago. Anyway…

I’ve yet to hear Copland’s Fanfare for the Common Man during NBC’s coverage of the current Olympic games. On the other hand, John Williams’ Olympic Fanfare is played constantly. He wrote it for the 1984 Los Angeles games.

Incidentally, I want to make it clear that I’m not referring to either John Williams’ piece or the Fanfare. I’d recognize both of those.

I loved The Wide World of Sports. I wish they’d bring it back. (Heck, I’d probably even watch reruns of it.)

IMO, there hasn’t been good Olympics coverage in the U.S. since ABC were the broadcaters.

Jim McKay was great. I looked up ABC’s Wide World of Sports, and was surprised to see it listed at IMDB as 1961. I remember watching it as a kid in the late-'60s and into the mid-'70s. :confused:

I’m also hearing a lot of Pirates of the Caribbean played when they do the athlete spotlight type stuff.

The theme music the OP is talking about was definitely used first in Brisco County Jr. and then adopted by the Olympics in (I think) 1996. I recognized it immediately, because Brisco is one of my favorite shows-that-never-got-a-chance. Here it is ten years later, and I’m STILL mad at Fox for cancelling that show after only one season. (Yes, I need therapy.) Bruce Campbell may be forever famous for the *Evil Dead * films, but it was *Brisco County * that really proved he could play a convincing lead role in a comic/drama series. Does anyone know if the show has been released on DVD?

I think the music suits the Olympics pretty well, but it still puts a little tear in my eye for Brisco. :stuck_out_tongue:

At the risk of repeating myself, during part of the opening ceremonies the programmed music was the last movement of Gustav Mahler’s Third Symphony. I don’t usually watch the ceremonies, but this was one of the more interesting uses of classical music in the Olympics.