I know there's a Greek art term for this...

When I was studying Ancient Greek art, I learned the artistic term for the line that can be seen on either side of the pelvis of a very thin, muscular man. Statues of nude Greek athletes often showed them. This was a couple of years ago, and I have completely forgotten what the word was. Do any of you Dopers know it? I want to impress my sister, who calls them “violin lines” (after the f holes on a violin), as in, “That guy is so thin, you can see his violin lines!”

I can’t think of what it might be, but perhaps this site can help?

Thinking way back to my Archaic Greek art class, we called these lines “inguinal boundaries.” Eh. Your sister’s term sounds much sexier!

That’s not the term we used in my class, but it did give me enough to perform a Google search that turned up what I wanted! The term I was looking for was “iliac crest”.

I think you may be right about “violin lines” sounding better.

It’s called the Sartorius.

Apparently it’s also called the Tailor’s muscle, since somehow it’s helpful in determining where you’re leg is when you sit.

Ooh, I love those lines!

I dunno, “iliac” sounds ok, but it apparently it traces it’s origins (rather convolutedly) to a greek word for the opening to the large intestine. And that’s not very sexy is it?

So another vote for “violin lines”.

I’m not convinced that the Sartorius is what’s being spoken about here sengle. IIRC sartorius is Latin for tailor and it got the name “tailor’s muscle” because it’s the one you flex when you sit cross-legged, which is traditionally how tailors sat to sew.