I lost my job.

Eight more people were laid off today. I was one of them.

That leaves three people to do all of the work. I don’t think it can be done. My best friend at work says it takes her all day to work the data for one of the people who was laid off. (The person who she fills in for only worked Tuesday through Thrusday.) There’s one programmer int he department, but I write (er… “wrote”) the programs faster than he does. Plus, he doesn’t know the data as well as I do. Where I find things in the data that can be fixed, he won’t know what to look for. Nothing against him, of course; it’s just that I have more experience with the data.

We have a lot of portfolio scoring jobs. Portfolio scoring data must be processed and loaded into the database very quickly. With virtually everyone gone, these jobs will not be loaded in time and the customers are going to be angry. No doubt they’ll get priority, but that means that all of the other data will be pushed back. We’ve been told that the goal is “Data, data, data!” Well, good luck loading it now! And good luck remaining profitable. If they can’t load the data, then the product suffers. If the product suffers, customers will go to our competitors.

They say they have a “plan”. I’d sure like to know how they’re going to get the work done!

This could have been better timed. I wanted two more weeks to feel comfortable. (I wanted to make sure the house was closed.)

My best workfriend says she doesn’t want to stay. But after 24 years on the job, she’s not going to be “looking”. She wants to make them lay her off so that she can get her 24 weeks of severence pay.

One of the other people who is left has, I’ve heard, an interesting offer. She and her family can move into a house in TN. I’m not sure of the details, but there’s an elderly man involved. I don’t know if he’s living in the house, or if he just wants people in it. Anyway, if this woman moves into the house it will be given to her gratis. I think it would be hilarious if one of the people they didn’t lay off decides to quit! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I’m feeling a bit of schadenfreude. :wink:

Anyway, here’s the plan: I’m going to call the bank to lock in my interest rate for a few more weeks. The work on the house will be done next week. All the bank needs is a clean dry rot and pest inspection, and then they can fund the loan. I’m going to try to sell my Willys CJ2A, or move it to my sister’s place to store it. I’ll give notice to my landlord that I’ll be moving out at the end of November, then move up to the house. Then I’ll go from there. One thing I’ll be doing soon is contacting the placement agency the company hired to see if they can find me a job in western Washington state. I’ll also apply for unemployment in the next week or so.

I pray every morning to my diety for protection. I’ve bought a lottery ticket. I think I’m doing okay karma-wise, so I’m hoping for things to even out.

Sorry about your troubles, Johnny. I was laid off in March and had a couple of job offers by the end of May. I hope things go as well for you.

All the best wishes, Johnny – things will work out for you well and soon. Good things happen to good people.

Sorry man. I don’t know how the market in your area is but it’s picked up very well around here. Hard to sell a bike close to winter, ain’t it? Oh yeah, L.A., never mind :slight_smile:

Bruce_Daddy, probably about a week behind you.

Good Luck.
It’s been over ten years since I was “out there” looking for a programming job. I don’t envy your predicament.
But at least you’ll be able to catch up on reading your AOPA and Flying magazines.

And let us know if that lottery thing works out…

Thanks, All.

In case anyone knows of a place that’s hiring between Seattle and the Canadian border, I’ve been working for nine years with Experian Business Information Solutions. I know TSO/ISPF, JCL, Easytrieve Plus, and I’m great at processing and QA-ing data. I can use MS-Excel, Ascential DataStage, and Generic Reformat (though I don’t know whose product that is). I’m also good with customers. (One has allowed me to use her as a professional reference on my résumé.)

Good luck finding a new position!

Layoffs have always been a good thing for me. Another better gig seems to come along. Good luck, and happy hunting!

Oh, Johnny L.A., you know there is always a permanent position open for you as one of my pretty-boy love slaves if you ever care to move to Mississippi.

Best wishes. (((hugs))))

Sorry to hear that, Johnny. You’re a good man and we’ll all hope for the best for you.

Good Luck Johnny

~Poppy, who escaped the ax last week.

Damnit, damnit, damnit! That just stinks. Feh. I don’t even know what to say. :frowning:

We’re gonna miss you.

Is this what you do?

Oh, and what are you doing for dinner tonight? Thomas’s friend Morton is in from Denmark and this is his last night in town. We’d love for you to join us – OUR TREAT. I don’t have your phone numbers here with me at work, though, so if you have my work number with you, give me a call. Or you can email me at my yahoo address and I’ll email it to you.

{{{Johnny}}}

:frowning:

I wish you well, Johnny.

I’m very sorry to hear that, Johnny L.A..

It does seem to me that the job market is picking up in the last month or two, however. A year or two ago was the really sucky time to get laid off, not that it doesn’t always suck to lose your job. Although Mr. Pug finally got a position a couple of weeks ago, I still continue to job-search just out of habit, and I’m seeing lots more openings lately. Hopefully one of these will be just right for you and a step up, as well.

Bon chance!

That sucks, JOHNNY. But I’m a bit confused by your post – did you just buy a house? Is it in Cali or up here in WA? I will keep an ear to the ground for jobs, but my line of work isn’t the same as yours, so I don’t even have any contacts I can bug, but I’ll keep an ear out. Or down. On the ground.

Good luck with it Johnny! I know this has been brewing for a while (what? two years or so?).

Well, the upside is now you’re really on your way to Washington!

Shayna: I haven’t eaten today, and to tell the truth I’m not very hungry. Thanks for the offer, but I think I’ll hang out here. :frowning:

I’m trying to buy a house in Birch Bay. I can get an apartment closer to Seattle if I get a job there. It’s coming down to the wire. I “have” the loan. I just need to get a clean dry rot and pest report. There’s some woodwork that needs to be done (and which will be finished next week), but the realtor is going to try to get the report from the contractor so he can give it to the bank. The only snag is if they try to re-verify my employment, in which case they might cancel the loan. :eek: I have enough in the bank to make payments for a couple of years, so I have no worries about affording a house. I just need everyone else to believe that!

As far as jobs, I’ll do anything as long as it pays the bills. I’m not particular.

Oh, Shayna: Unfortunately I’m not a network guy. I’m thinking I’d make a good account manager, since I’ve been dealing with corporate accounts receivable data for the last nine years. Heh; I can look at the over-90 bucket and say, “This guy might not be a good risk!”

i hope things work out for you. keep us posted.