Well, pretty sure I'm going to lose my job tomorrow...again.

I was a bit surprised to see a 1:1 meeting appear on my calendar from the head of our North America practice (three levels above me), who I never really deal with day to day. So I casually called up my direct Director who let me know that he is getting laid off. Not only that, his boss is also getting laid off along with a significant portion of the company. Perhaps as high as 20%.

So I’m about 90% sure that meeting won’t be to tell me who my new boss is.
What particularly sucks is that I just went through this bullshit last year until I landed my current job. And, for the most part, I like my current job. The people are nice. I’m learning about cutting-edge tech. Up until the world went to shit in March, we were celebrating the new direction of the company.

So…looking forward to an indeterminant future of empty platitudes about “change” or “doors”, motivational pep talks, boredom, and stalking around my condo like a frustrated caged animal.

Perhaps it’s about reminding you to stay safe, during COVID?

If you are getting laid off, and not fired, maybe they will discuss a plan for you to return.

In the meantime, you can line up for unemployment. Also, Uber Eats. Pays better than you’d think.

Shit. I’m really sorry to hear this. I remember reading about the hassle you went through (last year?) and was “pullin” for you the whole time.

No platitudes or advice here, just hoping for the best. Let us know what happens.

Ugh, sorry to hear this. I feel weirdly invested in your career. I’ve been reading about it for nearly 20 years now!

Or you’re getting a huge promotion and now have to do the work of like 5 people! :wink:

Ack. Sorry buddy. I was laid off twice in my career. The timing is horrible this time though. I hope that it’s just a reassignment.

I can sympathize somewhat. 2019 was dreadful for employment for Mr.CelticKnot. He left a bad job for what was supposed to be a great one, bounced around other temp jobs, and got one that was murdered by the GM strike. I know the frustration of thinking that finally things are looking up when circumstances you can’t control sucker punch you. Praying for peace and hope.

Yep, it’s official. At least they gave a generous severance package.

I swear to God, ever since I took that job in Lower Manhattan on 9/10/2001, every other year it’s been one career-ending butt-fuck-a-thon after another.
Thank you for the good wishes.

I’m familiar with the routine and I feel ya. So sorry you’re having to go through this cluster fuck at the worst possible time. Not that there is ever a good time for it.

It sucks, I got laid off late last year before anyone knew what Corona was.

The only thing that will help is that with so many people being laid off, there won’t be the question in the back of the mind of your new employer about ‘Why did they let that person go, anyway?’ Those type of suspicions suck, the potential new employer wondering if you got let go for not being a team player or something stupid like that.

For me, before Corona, I had to bite my tongue and not say, ‘Well they wanted to get rid of older workers who were a health care premium burden and had ten plus years of seniority so they also had tons of sick time and vacation times.’

What QuickSilver said. There’s seldom a good time for this sort of thing, and right now likely really ain’t it.

Sympathies.

So sorry! Hope something good can come out of this.

Do let us know how you’re doing. And drop a line when you get your next job… (that way we’ll have 24 hrs notice before the next Ragnarok)

That’s terrible. I’m sorry.

Ah, sorry to hear it man. Glad you got severance and I hope the next search won’t be as grueling as the last.

I am so sorry to hear it. I was laid off last year and it took me 11 months to find something else. It turns out that what I found isn’t in my usual field and doesn’t pay all my bills. But it does have health insurance and I do like the people I work with. Since I’ve been hired, they’ve gone through two rounds of layoffs. The first round was light, the second was bigger. I’m amazed, and grateful, to still be working here. I’m working hard to stay. I swear, the older I get, the harder it gets.

Get your resume out there and be sure to let your company know you’d be happy to come back if they’ll have you. And don’t forget to remind companies that you really are interested. Jobs will open up, just like with the the Great Recession. Best of luck to you.

I am so sorry to hear it. I was laid off last year and it took me 11 months to find something else. It turns out that what I found isn’t in my usual field and doesn’t pay all my bills. But it does have health insurance and I do like the people I work with. Since I’ve been hired, they’ve gone through two rounds of layoffs. The first round was light, the second was bigger. I’m amazed, and grateful, to still be working here. I’m working hard to stay. I swear, the older I get, the harder it gets.

Get your resume out there and be sure to let your company know you’d be happy to come back if they’ll have you. And don’t forget to remind companies that you really are interested. Jobs will open up, just like with the the Great Recession. Best of luck to you.

sorry to hear that and emphasize. I’ve been thru a couple of layoffs and it simply sucks. It sucks less with a package, but still sucks. Hang in there.

This is an excellent point, and one of the (maybe) few good things from the CV. With half the country out of work, it’s kind of hard to hold onto that stigma anymore.

My sympathies. I’ve been downsized multiple times in the past, and while so far it looks as if my position is safe-ish, we’re all experiencing anxiety. I know other departments in my company are experiencing furloughs and salary reductions.

I hope you get through this with minimal angst. Job hunting just sucks.