I love my wife dearly but she is a brainwashed Evangelical Trump supporter

I’m a little confused. Do you mean that in 1974 - shortly after you 2 married - you were separated?

Just trying to get an idea of how long you had been together, how old you were, etc.

From what you describe, if you are up in years and not entirely healthy, I’d definitely prefer to NOT spend whatever time I had left with someone I felt about as you describe your feelings towards your wife and her beliefs. Tempered - of course - by how wealthy she is and how great the sex is! :wink:

damarp, your marriage situation reminds me - I got into a discussion with something like this with a Redditor yesterday afternoon. He was (justifiably) enraged because he had gotten into a political quarrel with his fiancee’s father (a hardcore Trumper) and that would-have-been father-in-law ended up forbidding his daughter from marrying him as a result of that argument. The poor guy (the Redditor) couldn’t resist his urge to drop truth-bombs where he saw the need for such bombs to be dropped.

There’s the saying, “Don’t mock the alligator until you are across the stream,” and this poor Redditor guy didn’t abide by that - he mocked the alligator and the alligator canceled his future marriage. Fair? No. But reality is reality.

To some extent, the same applies with your wife. Yes, it sucks that she is pro-Trump and you are a truth-bomber. But do you want to keep your spouse, or are you unable to swallow some unpleasantness in the name of keeping the marriage intact? Sometimes you just got to put up with unpleasantness for the sake of keeping a bigger thing - unless, to you, that misery is so intense it’s worth losing that person.

Interesting. so I should have said Any worthwhile ideology MUST be based on Empirical TRUTH.

I am a scientist. Science is an Empirical pursuit that makes use of the scientific method for determining the truth from our sense experience. Empirical Truth is absolute not an opinion. No amount of open-mindedness can change that.

One more thing to think about, and it falls squarely into “simple, but not easy:”

Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy ?

Sometimes/often, the respective paths to each endpoint are very different.

These past years I have practiced Herculean patience putting up with unpleasantness for the sake of my marriage but, since my disability my efforts are causing me physical and psychological distress. I have learned that my ability to endure such stresses is significantly less than it was pre-mortem. I endure and suffer for love but, I don’t want to get sicker.

If I pretend to be wrong too much, that makes me unhappy.

I do not think that “pre-mortem” means what you think it means. It means “immediately prior to death,” and I suspect that, despite your disability, you are still currently alive. :slight_smile:

You could use a little hair of the dog perhaps? As an evangelical christian, she probably believed the husband is the head of the home, and the ultimate authority. Just a little food for thought.

Oh, I get that.

And this whole tack is also classically Do As I Say, Not As I Do. I believe in its utility, and I do try, but it ain’t easy.

I’m reminded of another fairly hackneyed parable that bears offering up on this thread:

In theory, the ‘letting go’ isn’t giving up so much as ‘surrender,’ and really shouldn’t create it’s own misery.

We used to counsel my stepson that “the only person in the entire world that you have a fair chance of actually changing is … you.”

Well into my 6th decade, I really believe that – more than ever.

Even if the notion meant that the OP would find himself some sort of counseling, or guidance, or practice, or … whatever … maybe loosening the grip on this one can lead to a win-win.

There was a program about QAnon (on VICE, I think) and this guy who had been a supporter but later left them. He said that QAnon claimed that to signal his support, Trump would use a phrase (Tip Top…Tippy Top, I think) in a speech, and sure enough he did. But when the supporter looked at old clips of speeches predating any of this, Trump was using the phrase then as well. It’s just one of his phrases. The supporter realized it was a bullshit trick, got disillusioned, and left the group.

It seems like there ought to be some historical precedent. For example there must have been fierce supporters of Nixon who “knew” Watergate was a smear campaign or whatever. Have their opinions changed? What caused that? Was it the passage of time or something more?

I think you have to avoid the topic as much as possible if you can’t manage your reactions to the outcomes. Put it on the back burner. Not everything needs to be solved today. Build your strength back.

I think this is a bigger sickness (Trumpism etc.) than many give it credit for. It’s like when those people got carried away up in Salem Mass and had the trials. At the time it probably seemed reasonable and the correct thing to do or whatever.

Exactly, it’s joining a violent white nationalist movement that literally tried to stage a coup*. My one surviving sister is a Trumpists and I severed ties. It’s been tough and I understand why someone would make a different decision. But being a Trumpism is not the same as believing in Bigfoot, it’s akin to joining the Klan.

ETA: is still trying to subvert democracy.

One based on morality.

Christianity vs atheism isn’t all that hard thing to handle at all from the atheist’s side, as long as the atheist is not actively anti-religious. You just think they have some harmless beliefs that will potentially make them a better person. Sure, there’s the argument about how to raise your children, and there’s the likelihood that the Christian will try to convert the atheist, but that’s nowhere near as bad as being a Trump supporter.

Because I did notice your attempt to move the goalposts here. We are not talking about someone who merely thinks Trump isn’t a monster. We are talking about a Trump supporter. I can understand someone who has high standards for the word “monster.” But to support someone who has done so many heinous things? That person must thing those things aren’t actually wrong. And if you don’t believe something is wrong, then there is no reason you wouldn’t also do it, given the opportunity.

Your idea that politics is somehow this completely separate from the rest of life is absurd. A political belief is something you will take action towards in order to change the world. If I think that the world you want to create is a horrible world, then of course I can’t just ignore that.

The only reason we may be able to just ignore politics is that our actual difference were minor. That used to be the norm. Sure, one side might be “liberal” and the other “conservative,” but the things they agreed on would overwhelm their differences. It would usually just be on a few issues. This isn’t the case with supporting Trumpism.

Trump was able to get people to engage in a terrorist attack against the US. He joked about how he could kill someone in broad daylight with everyone watching, and he wouldn’t lose followers. And his supporters agreed with him. Supporting him has already resulted in the Trump supporters actively harming their families. Do you know how many LGBT kids have been harmed by homophobic parents? Heck, do you know how many people who marry into a different race family have been harmed by racist parents?

That bigotry is a part of politics now. That hatred that causes actual harm is a part of people’s political identity. To say we can just ignore that is absurd.

Finally, note the actual issue with the OP. She’s not just a Trumpist. She refuses to get vaccinated. She’s harming others and herself. She’s even putting her husband at increased risk. And, even though Trump is getting his vaccines, we can trace the anti-vaccine trend straight back to Trump being anti-mask.

These are not the actions of a loving wife. A loving wife would not put her devotion to Trump above keeping her disabled husband safe from disease. And, of course, this comes straight from her politics.

Politics are not always innocuous. Sometimes your political beliefs can be harmful. To assert otherwise is to treat politics like a sports team. It is the other side of the coin to what @Velocity mentioned.

Politics are beliefs. Some beliefs don’t matter, as they hurt no one. Other beliefs do both.

Doesn’t everybody who gets the vaccine get it out of self-interest? I fail to see how this objection is valid.

Not only that, it builds up. You start by giving way on one small thing, for the sake of peace, and then you give way more and more often, then one day you wonder what happened to the person you used to be, to the things you used to stand for. At some point, you have to stand up for yourself.

Imagine your wife, in those irritating moments, to be your 98 yr old granny. Even if she just let out some racist language, you’d not likely take on trying to change her view. You’d smile, say, ‘Okay then…’, and change the subject. With the greatest of ease, too.

When it comes to politics always picture her as ancient and save your breath! She’ll either come to it on her own, or she won’t. You don’t need to be so invested in her every view.

I really believe it only further convinces these people when challenged, on any front. Your ‘need’ to convert her proves to her she’s right. Stop caring so much what she’s wrong about.

I’d have to spirit myself away from within earshot of Fox News. Regular exposure would be very unsettling and destabilizing to my calm, I expect.

I feel for your situation, Good Luck!

As I said, I do get that.

But the trick/goal is to truly let something go. Again: much easier said than done.

But it can sometimes be worthwhile, sometimes be possible, sometimes be transformative.

And one has to ask oneself, in this circumstance, “What are my options ?”

Some are talking about divorce. Often, people talk about how to ‘get through to’ the partner.’

IME, the former is pretty drastic, particularly after nearly half-century, and the latter is pretty quixotic.

Sometimes, the “journey” of learning to let go of a thing like this buys you time, gives you a place to put that frustration, a ‘response’ (if only internally) when Tucker Carlson is shouting from the 60" flat screen in the living room.

Again: I’m not all Zen Buddhist Monk (though I spent time at both a Monastery and in a Vipassana retreat), but I do see this approach as a possible way to suffer less in the situation.

Broadly, there are just not a lot of great options. Changing either side of an equation changes the result of that equation. Given that the OP is here – on the SDMB – and that his beloved is … well … who he describes her to be … my money would not be on getting her to change.

Maybe him, though.

Changing gears …

On the anti-vax thing … I think I might be inclined to see if I could talk her into regular PCR testing, although I’d be pretty surprised if that worked.

So, hey, are you invited back to many parties? ;~}

Seriously, you do realize you sound just like a Trump-Q-MyPillow disciple there, don’t you?

Maybe not confronting everything she says would led to “an uneasy truce” and you could be a quiet good example.

Hey, I couldn’t do it, but this poster managed a truce with his mom:

But, I know I’m glossing over the physical problems (could your doctor tell her… or at least you… that anyone in your house NEEDS to be vaccinated?)… well, I’m going to pray (to your god, not hers) for a resolution.

Keep using us as a sounding board.

I don’t have advice OP, but I once heard a saying that was something like ‘every white family is in the middle of a cold civil war’ in this political age, which is pretty accurate. Virtually every white family has hardcore Trump supporters and leftist progressives in it who don’t agree.

In my family its more parents vs children, but a lot of relationships are being harmed by the politics going on now.

Earlier this year I told her I was afraid that if she got COVID she’d end up dying alone in the hospital because I wouldn’t be permitted to visit her. But she refers to the COVID vaccine as the “Kill Shot” and believes thousands of people have died as a result of getting it. My brother-in-law lost his 23 year old cousin this year to COVID. It really pissed my sister off when mom started talking about how rare it was for someone to die and that his cousin had comorbidities. “Very inappropriate” was how my sister described those comments. We just buried my wife’s cousin a few weeks ago because for some reason he decided against the vaccination. I’ve lost coworkers and some acquaintances over the last two years, and despite voicing my concerns, my mother thinks we’re overblowing the threat because of some commie plot to take our freedom away.

So unfortunately I’m just kind of stuck where I am. Hopefully this will blow over sometime in 2022. A guy can dream, right?