I love shrimp. Got any great recipes to share?

The title pretty much says it all. The SO and I love shrimp and would probably eat it every day if finances allowed it. I love it even though peeling it gives me allergies like crazy. I don’t have many good recipes up my sleeve though and I would love a few that would knock my socks off. Any suggestions?

I love shrimp, too! I love gumbo. And etoufee. And scampi. And stir-fry. We eat shrimp just about weekly. Check out the jambalaya thread for shrimp, chicken and sausage jambalaya.

Ok - I’ll give you one - Etoufee.

6 tbs unsalted butter
1/2 c flour
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt - or to taste
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2-3 tsp cajun seasoning
3 c chicken stock
1 lb medium shrimp, (30-40 count) peeled and deveined
2 tbs chopped parsley
1/4 c sliced green onions

Melt the butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir continuously to make a roux. Keep stirring until the roux is peanut butter colored. (7-10 minutes.) Add the onions, peppers, celery and garlic to the roux, and cook, stirring often, for 10-15 minutes or so. Add the tomatoes and bay leaves, salt, cayenne and cajun seasoning. Cook for a couple of minutes, then stir in stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook the etoufee (French for “gravy”) for about 40 minutes, then add in the peeled shrimp. Cook for about 5-10 minutes more, until shrimp are cooked through. Add the parsley, and stir.

Serve over white rice, and garnish with green onions. Add some crusty bread, and ooh-wee! Heaven.

Find a good recipe for Shrimp Creole, and you won’t look at the little crustaceans the same way again!

This one’s pretty good

I like them the way the Vietnamese do them. You get the real big bastards (tiger prawns), and throw them onto a hotplate in the middle of the table, unpeeled. Diners serve themselves, directly off the hotplate, peel them (the shell falls away easily at this point), dip them in a little bowl of salt, pepper, and lemon juice, and eat. Wash down with cold lager.

My personal favorite:

Buy Cocktail Shrimp.
Thaw said shrimp
break out the cocktail sauce.
enjoy.

I have a great recipe for Pad Thai, but it’s awfully long. I can post it, if you like.

This is the way I usually do it, quick and no preparation needed. :smiley:

Vision, I would appreciate any recipe, I’m always up for a challenge.

Thanks for the recipes, they all look really good!

1 kilo shrimp bought from someone on the way back from Baja.
Boil in cheap beer.
Eat.

A recipe I made up but never wrote down, for Shrimp Margaritas

I roasted yellow bell peppers, and jalapeno peppers. I skinned them and pureed them, separately, so I had a spicy green puree and a sweet yellow puree. I added a little rice vinegar and salt to each. I salted the rims of some margarita glasses and layered the sauces in them. Garnished with a sprinkle of cumin.

Then I simmered some large shrimp in Tequila for a couple minutes, just until done. Then I hung the shrimps on the rims of the glasses, shrimp cocktail-wise, and served on little black cocktail napkins with rock salt sprinkled around the foot of the glass. It was a resounding success.

Just as an aside. If you are buying your shrimp at the supermarket see if any of the brands have a little green circular seal on them that says BAP (better aquaculture practices). It is quite possible none of them will, but hey, give it a shot for the environment :-).

Maybe you can look at this cookbook - Simply Shrimp: With 80 Globally Inspired Recipes. My father like eating shrimp very much, I just got this book for my mother, it offers 80 outstanding recipes that celebrate shrimp’s unmatchable versatility. They are devoted to specific methods of preparation, with step-by-step photos to guide you through particular techniques and gorgeous color shots of finished dishes, all taken by the author himself. Very good!

I made “popcorn” with prawns once, and heres how I did it:

make a runny dough out of egg, milk, maisenna, flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano, basil and a good pinch of salt. Then whip it good so its nice and fluffy. Then all you have to do is dip the cleaned prawns (try to keep the tail, it makes it easier to dip them) in the dough and deep fry until they get the lovely golden colour.

I served them with a thai dip made of lemons, fresh ginger, fresh chilis and honeymustard.

I think it didn’t taste too bad since my guests ate them like popplers in futurama :wink:

DAUFUSKIE SHRIMP*
(serves four)

In a large skillet, cook four slices of bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, drain and set aside, leaving bacon grease in skillet. Sautee a chopped onion in the bacon grease five to seven minutes. To this add 2 minced jalapeno peppers that have been seeded and two minced garlic cloves. Saute another five to seven minutes.

Stir in a 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes and about three tablespoons of cocktail sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally.

Add a pound of peeled shrimp, and cook another five minutes.

Serve over hot cooked grits and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.

Heaven on a plate!

*From Daufuskie Island, South Carolina

Well, I was walking through the market the other day and some shrimp called out to me. “Eat me!” they said. Rather than engage in a bout of name calling with small crustaceans, I decided to bring them home and cook them up.

The problem was that I didn’t have any sort of plan. I didn’t know how I was going to cook them or with what ingredients. So I just started cooking with what I had around the kitchen and a delicious shrimp dish was born. I guess looking back that it is essentially a shrimp newburg, but I just made it up as I went along.

I started with the uncooked, shell on shrimp. I took all their shells off and tossed the shells in a shallow pot of water to make a quick stock. Meanwhile I made a bechemel by combining butter and flour to make roux and then adding whole milk. I strained the stock into the bechemel and added to shrimp to poach. I added a whole lot of old bay seasoning and a metric butt load of black pepper. I bet I probably added some bay leaves and maybe some other stuff to the stock, and I probably sauteed some onions in the butter before making the roux. Who knows. Anyway, it was a delicious meal that was made from start to finish in about 20 minutes. I’d add some scallops and stuff next time.

Here’s a fairly easy recipe for a sort of Mediterranean style dish (I just call it That Shrimp Thing):

Ingredients:

about a half pound of medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

A box of Rice Pilaf (or make your own)

~1/4-1/3 cup Feta Cheese, crumbled (the stuff with the basil and sundried tomato is ideal)

Any herbs you like, like thyme, basil, oregano, to taste.

Scallions

Garlic

Lemon

butter/olive oil

a couple of Roma tomatoes

Make the Rice Pilaf.

While that’s simmering, dice the herbs (if using fresh), green onions and tomato and set aside.

Saute the shrimp in butter/olive oil and garlic on a med/hi heat. When they’re just getting done (basically about 1 minute), add the tomatoes, green onions, herbs and some lemon juice, stir, then turn off the heat. The result should be not terribly liquid-y.

Put a mound of rice pilaf on a plate and sprinkle on the crumbled feta, then serve the shrimp mixture on top. You can serve the whole thing on a platter like that or plate it individually.

I also love shrimp and I’m close…howzabout you make some for me too? bats eyelashes

My husband and I made shrimp nachos the other night. Whatever you like in regular nachos and just substitute shrimp for the meat. Tasty and easy!

Also Cocktail de Cameron:

Mix up some spicy cocktail sauce, add shrimp, onions, cucumbers avocados; serve chilled in a tall glass.

Just posting so I can come back and read this tonight! (I eat a lot of shrimp.)