I’m moving to Knoxville, TN … advice wanted, needed, welcomed!

Amen.

And if there’s a cop on the road, expect traffic to slow down to his speed, even if his speed is under the speed limit. This happened to me this morning, coming up Kingston Pike from the mall area (exit 380) to Northshore. The cop was going 35 (in the left lane) in a 45 zone, and the people in the right lane were traveling just behind the cop in the right lane at such a speed that passing was not an option.

I don’t know about these Knoxville folks, but if a cop’s going under the speed limit (particularly on a clear, sunny morning with dry streets), I’m going to pass him, just like I’d pass anyone else. Now, I’m not going to do it at 50, sure, but I am going to pass him.

You will find the traffic patterns frustrating. Bear with it and deal with it. If you get angry about it, you’ll give yourself a stroke. It doesn’t flow like Atlanta, but eventually you’ll get where you’re going. And, like JohnT said, it’s a different kind of frustrating - there’s no real Gwinnett/Cobb County style traffic around here.

Hm, well you’re already ahead of me - when I moved there, I had no job. Kind of tough to pay the rent on the double wide iffin yuh got no job. If only I had been more of a hillbilly!

I am coming from around the Nashville area, so the traffic to me is horrible. Even though Nashville is much bigger the traffic just seems to flow a lot better than around here. I think it’s a combination of too few roads, inexperienced drivers, and a population that they can’t keep up with.

Corky’s has become Puelo’s Grill which is suppose to be opening this week I believe. It’s right up the road from where I work now and they’re taking half of the staff with them.

Actually, I like how Nashvillians drive - they’re pretty quick on the accelerator in toto, especially when reacting to a changed light.

For example, if you’re in the left turn lane and the light turns green, everybody in the lane lets up off their breaks at the same time, allowing the entire line to quickly pass through the light. However, in Knoxville, everybody waits one… at… a… time… until the car in front of them is at least 10 feet away before letting go of the breaks. It is so damned frustrating to miss a left turn signal with only 5 cars in front of you, but that is a common occurance in the Land of Effite Drivers.

I like the area and don’t mind raising a child here, even though the average Knoxvillian is a person to whom my wife and I really have a hard time relating. Too religious, too trusting, too provincial, not worldly or sly or even self-deprecating in the ways you see in a larger city, it’s been a bit difficult trying to find like-minded folk here. Knoxville is a city that Walks with Jesus in a way that Atlanta isn’t, and that fact requires some adjusting to as well.

Now that I think about it, of all the friends I’ve ever had here none of them were really from Knoxville. Everyone came here because of school.

hmmm, thanks peritrochoid for the Downtown vote. Upon my first visit to the area, downtown was my first choice. Where I ran into issues was that many rentals downtown seemed totally geared to the college crowd. Then I thought “oooo a loft would be cool” but I’m not sure I want to give up my washer and dryer in order to move into Sterchi. I’m hoping that while driving around the area I might see some places that strike my fancy.

I find it funny as I’ve been calling or e-mailing places, if they don’t offer a garage they add “but extra storage is available on the outside decks!!” :rolleyes: I’m thinking “a closet isn’t going to hold my car.”

JohnT and Lsura gald you mentioned the left lane thing. That traffic I mentioned being stuck in, as soon as I worked my way to the far left, I wasn’t riding the brake as much. I thought that was rather odd. In L.A. if one lane is at a standstill ALL lanes are at a standstill. I too will pass a cop going under the speed limit.

For the record I don’t drive in traffic in Atlanta, and never have. I use MARTA to go intown and my work commute has been against traffic down PIB. The few times I get stuck in it, I pull over someplace and go shopping.

dantheman shoo! Get outta my thread or I’m gonna make you unpack my stuff. Heaven forbid I put my books in the bookcases backwards. :wink:

Did you check the Phoenix on the 400 block of Gay Street? Those are some nice, large units, and IIRC there are hook-ups for side-by-side W/D, at least in some of them.

Funny you should mention Sterchi, as that’s my humble home. There are actually hook-ups in the units for a stacked W/D, though I haven’t installed one yet. Having the option to have my own W/D was a big selling point.

The Pembroke, on Union Avenue, has some very nice apartments. They’re unremarkable my most loft standards, but they’re very nice and secure, and I believe they have a garage. Also have a pool.

A good architect friend of mine just moved into a GREAT loft he designed and built. He’s really on top of things downtown and may know of some available spaces. If you’re still interested in this location, I can give you his contact info.

Dewhirst Properties may also have a listing of more interesting, more private lofts downtown.

Okay, I’ll turn off my downtown salesmanship now. :slight_smile:

I can not thank you all enough for all the information, input and opinions you’ve shared with me. And I can’t forget Lsura for mailing some local papers and information to look at!

Ahem! Y’all forgot to mention **how crowded ** every place gets on a Friday night around dinner time. I thought 7pm was early enough to miss the crowds. Nooooooo.
I looked at a lot of places in West, North and Downtown Knoxville. I did not get lost once, which is truly amazing. (I’m navigationally challenged.)

I’ve narrowed my selections down to two. As much as I liked downtown, and absolutely fell in love with the pictures from Phoenix (thanks peritrochoid, you’re a great downtown salesman), I had to consider the facts of my car: 26 years old, very low front spoiler, no power steering, and prone to the occassional t-top leaks, I just couldn’t see me managing those streets and parking in that car. :rolleyes:

Whichever place I select, it looks like I’ll be calling West Knoxville home.

I like Knoxville when Morelin and I went up for the Dopefest. It was a nice town. I’m actually considering going there if I wind up going to grad school.