I may have to get rid of my cat if I can't solve this :(

Hello again everyone, time for another cat-related conundrum.

As I mentioned in my other thread, I have a cat- Snuggleslut. Looks like she’s been a stray her whole life but she’s surprisingly cool- just kinda does her own thing, will cuddle once in a while, has never bitten/scratched/hissed (for the longest time we couldn’t figure out if she even had claws!) and rarely ever meows. When she does, it’s so quiet. Litterbox trained, indoor/outdoor, pretty much your typical cat in terms of affection but totally chill, practically impossible to annoy/provoke into fighting.

She gets along with my sister’s cat (Noodles.)

When my brother came home for the service, my dad offered him to come live with us and bring his cat along as well. This promise was made prior to Snuggleslut’s arrival. He did come and bring his cat- Jazz- and it hasn’t been good. While Snuggleslut and Noodles tolerate each other, she just beats the shit out of Jazz every time she sees him :frowning: We’re talking banshee howling, hair flying everywhere catfight. Worst yet is that he does not have claws so he cannot defend himself against her.

She’s currently separated right now- she just had kittens a week ago so she’s been confined to my attic bedroom- but whenever she zips downstairs she makes a beeline to either poop in Jazz’s litterbox or just to fight him. I don’t know what to do. She’ll have to go if I can’t get her to not fight. We’ve never had three cats in this tiny house before.

I asked my facebook cat lady if she knew anyone who would be interested in her and I know of some no-kill shelters around the area…My brother wants her to stay but also to get her declawed which on one hand would be beneficial to Jazz but on the other hand, it’s declawing. I’d really love to try to figure out a way to get her to get along with my brother’s cat before resorting to giving her away. Has anyone ever been in this situation before with a happy outcome?

It may be because she just had kittens.

Male cats sometimes will kill kittens that aren’t theirs, I don’t know how they know whose kittens they are but they do.

My male cat killed all my females kittens and believe me you don’t want to know the details.

Do you have access to Animal Planet’s My Cat From Hell? A ton of episodes deal with fighting cats. Usually, the key is to a)wear out the aggressive cat with play b) help the victim cat develop confidence through play, so he stops acting like prey and c) help the cats have positive associations through “eat, play, love” which means having them eat, play, and get attention from you when they are together. Seriously, watch a few episodes. It is really informative.

Start with truly confining her to one room and one room only. Food, water, litter box in there, and that’s where she stays until she’s spayed and then at least another month after that to allow hormones to subside. Do not let her out of there until then, no exceptions. After that, follow slow introduction guidelines, you can find them online and I’m sure the shelters in your area have them. No shelter recommends just putting two strange cats together in the same house without an introductory period, starting with confining one of them to a single room for at least a couple days if not a couple weeks to start. Your girl has kittens to take care of, so she gets to be the confined one and should stay that way until she’s “normalized” post-partum and post-spay.

I’ve had the best luck with acclimating cats to each other by feeding them their favorite canned food together. After that, they seem to tolerate each other better.

I second the idea of watching “My cat from hell” - it’s very informative and Jackson Galaxy really has good insight into dealing with warring cats, aggressive behavior, etc. Check out the website as well - you might find some helpful info there.

I’ll never ever declaw another cat again. It removes a portion of their toes. Years later, some of the claws can try to grow back, and the come out deformed… Upside down, twisted…it can cause them pain, a limp, inability to jump. Their feet look like an elephant. Plus, because they cannot use their claws to defend themselves, they will sometimes become biters and randomly attack people. I truly think the vulnerability and frustration makes them go crazy. There are plenty of alternatives.

This is incredibly significant. IME mama cats are hormonally insane. They attack anyone and anything that they perceive could be a potential threat. She will mellow out considerably to this interloper once the kittens are weaned. It’ll be night & day–been there.

And I’m more than glad to be ‘that person’ who says this. Once they’re weaned, please get her spayed. The world doesn’t need any more kittens atm.

Yay lets turn this into another debate about declawing cats! It’s been a while!

I’m going to. I mentioned it above, did you not read it? When I got her she was already significantly pregnant.

No, let’s not.

Thank you to the other posters for posting the useful information. I’ve watched My Cat From Hell very often, it’s a great show. I like the idea of slowly introducing her back to the other two cats a month after she is spayed and I will go with that plan. I just have to get my brother and father on board and understanding that she’s not allowed out. I’ve been strict about this whereas they have been more lax.

Actually I think you only mentioned that in your other thread, which AngelSoft may not have read.

Anyway, I hope you find a way to keep your kitty. Good luck!

TLDR : You have cats that fight, and no one wants to give them up - declawing is the immediate solution, however you think it’s more or less cruel.

Declaw the thing, be done with - it’s just a cat.

The OP is looking for advice on how to get the cats to get along with each other. Declawed cats still fight, and without claws, may resort to biting, instead. There would still be hissing, and howling, and fighting. So, no, declawing isn’t an “immediate solution”.

:rolleyes: The OP obviously cares about the “thing”, so I’m guessing it’s a little more than “just a cat” in his/her eyes, or they’d just get rid of it instead of keeping it as a pet.

Ah, you’re right Ms. Pumpkin. My apologies Angelsoft. I mentioned in my other thread that I’m going to spay her asap, I don’t want any more kittens around here, there are enough cats out in the word as it is!

Really? 16 sentences is too long for you to read? :dubious: Sorry, I’ll try to add make it a picture book for you next time to be more on par with your comprehension level.

Do you know how old she is? Declawing can be more problematic and have more complications if the cat is older - they don’t heal as well and have more difficulties adjusting, along with all the other related hazards of just being older while getting major surgery. I’m totally not an anti-declaw person, but I’d hesitate to do it on an older cat. (“Older” being above 2-3 years old.)

One trick I learned from “My cat From Hell” was that you separate them with a glass or screen door so they can see each other but not GET each other. Then feed them there so they can get used to eating by each other.
That way they’ll associate eating (Something pleasant to them) with being next to each other. Eventually you wont need the door anymore.
I’ve never had to do this myself but it was pretty cool when he did it on the show.

Just keep her separated with her kittens until they’re weaned & gone and she’s spayed. Give her a few weeks to recover from the spay then introduce them again gradually. I can pretty much guarantee she’ll accept him once her babies are out of “danger” and her hormones are back to normal.

get her fixed. get all the cats fixed.

the behavior change is immediate.

and quit declawing them. go to the pet store, buy (about $10) these thick corrugated cardboard cut outs, (or get the ones that are S shaped and have combo carpet and hemp), then sprinkle catnip on it every month.

Getting them fixed, and getting them the above claw options, will tame them down and stop the clawing of furniture and other pets.

one other advantage of fixing - they will very likely start marking (spraying ) off their territories unless they are fixed.

PS I took in a stray kitten, to add to my own cats raised since birth, and fixed. The stray was a fighter and a sprayer at first. Then after age 6 months, I got her fixed. Now shes a great lap cat and best friends with the others, and they all 3 use the claw scratch pads ( just sprinkling catnip every month or two).

If its $$$ thats a concern, they have these mobile RV’s that go from one city to another, that fix cats for cheap. Wish I could recall the name.