I might be moving South!

Well, not TOO far South. I have put in for a new position in my company, an inside sales position in our Washington, D.C. office (which is really in Arlington rather than downtown D.C.). It’s all very, VERY tentative, but I think it’s going to come through. It will be a terrific opportunity to a) make more money; b) be part of a small but growing office (only 3 people); and c) get away from my current boss, who is certifiable.

Plus, we’re really eager to relocate. My Army Brat itch is starting to kick in after all these years in Cleveland. So, I may be coming to you D.C.-area dopers for advice on neighborhoods/shopping/cultural advice, etc. Wish me luck!

Well, congrats, pl!

If you get down here before mid-June, take a look at DC Dopefest Part 2 and join us in celebrating all things hot and muggy.

As for shopping/neighborhood/cultural advice, just ask away and we’ll do our best.

JMCJ

“Y’know, I would invite y’all to go feltch a dead goat, but that would be abuse of a perfectly good dead goat and an insult to all those who engage in that practice for fun.” -weirddave, set to maximum flame

Congrats on the possibility of a Cleveland-to-DC move, and condolences on having to leave one DAMN fine orchestra behind.

Phil, congrats! I’m sure you’ll miss the fine mayor of Cleveland :wink:
Glad youre making it out!

Glad to have you in the area! If you’re anywhere around Ft. Meade, come on over, we’ve got beer in the fridge.

Drink up, dear. I made it just for you.

sig by WallyM7

Phil, that’s great!

There’s a large Doper contingency there, and my dad lives in Fairfax, so I get up there from time-to-time myself!

If you need any help or wanna check up on anything in the NoVa area, shoot me an e-mail and I’ll get you in touch with my dad.

Yer pal,
Satan

http://www.raleighmusic.com/board/Images/devil.gif

I HAVE BEEN SMOKE-FREE FOR:
Two weeks, three days, 15 hours, 30 minutes and 21 seconds.
705 cigarettes not smoked, saving $88.23.
Life saved: 2 days, 10 hours, 45 minutes.

I’ll be meeting tonight after work with our Eastern Regional Manager, who’s based in Boston but happens to be in town for the week; then after that I’ll probably have to fly down to DC and meet with the manager there.

Luckily, I’m already somewhat familiar with the area. My dad was stationed in the late 80s at Ft. Belvoir, and I visited frequently; and he lives in Frederick, MD now, so I’m usually down there a couple times a year. If it comes through, I’ll just need to decide how long a commute I want. Looks like it’s gonna be the Metro for me . . .

Good luck with the promotion, Phil.

FYI, I ran the “Salary Comparison” at Yahoo for Cleveland and Wash DC.

If you make $70K in Cleveland, it would take $136K in Washington to have the same level of existence (mortgage, taxes, utilities, expenses, etc.)

I hope you’re getting a BIG raise. Good luck.

Good luck, Phil.

Don’t forget about us.

H8, that’s assuming that I live in DC proper (or even the immediate area), and there ain’t no way that’s gonna happen. I’m willing to put up with an hour-plus commute to live somewhere a bit cheaper.

Hey good for you. Hope you get it. Are they going to look for a replacement, I’m, uh, kind of looking for a job.

“If it’s free, it’s for me !”

Phil - my heartiest congratulations and best wishes! I just love it when good things happen to nice people!!

It would be cool to have you down this way, Phil!

BTW, the cost-of-living thing isn’t as bad as Yahoo!'s salary comparison makes it out to be. My wife and I went from making about $55K between us in Bristol, VA/TN, which is cheaper than almost anywhere (Cleveland included), to making $75K in DC. We thought it worked out about even. A couple of raises later (but still in 5 figures), we’re doing far better, moneywise, than we were in our old life. So take those things with a grain of salt.

Homepage: www.galacticgovernment.gov
Interests: Palace intrigue, hereditary successors
–Profile by UncleBeer

My two cents on Arlington:

Arlington is so small (around 125K people)that there are only a handful of business areas: Crystal City (north of Alexandria & south of Reagan Airport), Rosslyn (directly across the Key Bridge from Georgetown), and the Orange Line Corridor (from the Courthouse area to Ballston).

The more affluent homes are found north of U.S. 50 and range from 200K to 2MM. Less expensive homes are to the south as are a greater predominance of more affordable apartments. The lower-end units throughout the county (as in other areas of the DC metro area) are occupied by extended families of immigrants.

Commuting in the DC area is the second slowest in the U.S., after LA. One hour commutes (each way) are not uncommon especially traveling to and from northern Virginia.

North Arlington and Crystal City are served by the metro rail system, but getting to a Metro parking lot (and finding parking) are difficult.

Much has changed in Arlington since you left Fairfax County. Many people argue that north Arlington has become the new Georgetown, with numerous popular and quality restaurants and bars especially on the Orange Line corridor.

As with any career move, come on down and take a look - try and get your prospective company to pay.

Arlington is so small (around 125K people)that there are only a handful of business areas: Crystal City (north of Alexandria & south of Reagan Airport), Rosslyn (directly across the Key Bridge from Georgetown), and the Orange Line Corridor (from the Courthouse area to Ballston).

The more affluent homes are found north of U.S. 50 and range from 200K to 2MM. Less expensive homes are to the south as are a greater predominance of more affordable apartments. The lower-end units throughout the county (as in other areas of the DC metro area) are occupied by extended families of immigrants.

Commuting in the DC area is the second slowest in the U.S., after LA. One hour commutes (each way) are not uncommon especially traveling to and from northern Virginia.

North Arlington and Crystal City are served by the metro rail system, but getting to a Metro parking lot (and finding parking) are difficult.

Much has changed in Arlington since you left Fairfax County. Many people argue that north Arlington has become the new Georgetown, with numerous popular and quality restaurants and bars especially on the Orange Line corridor.

As with any career move, come on down and take a look - try and get your prospective company to pay.

::small hijack::
You used to live in Bristol? I work in Johnson City! When did you live here? Why did I not know this before?
::small hijack::

Those who are dancing look insane to those who cannot hear the music.

One-of-a-kind, custom-designed Wally sig available on request.

Thanks for the additional info, Nixon and RTF.

Unfortunately, company policy does not cover the cost of relocations, regardless of position or person, so at least they’re inequitable to everyone. :wink: But, we’re prepared to deal with that; we’ve been saving for some time for a possible relocation.

Salary-wise, we’re making about $63K between us right now. This would be largely a lateral move for me, so the salary increase would be marginal at first, but the earning potential for this position is high. This office spun off from our Philly office about a year ago, and the sales territory covers metro DC, much of No. Va., and parts of southern MD. It’s been nothing but a revenue giant since it opened, and the potential market is huge. This inside position I’m applying for is expected to change to an outside sales position in 18-24 months, which I’m looking forward to. As far as Leigh-Anne goes, she can pretty much walk into any available marketing position and nail it, and she’s got good professional contacts in the area.

My conversation with the Eastern manager last night, IMNSHO, was a slam-dunk. It was very informal, and we just discussed my history with the company, the goal and expectations for this position and this office, and the sales philosophy of the company. I told him straight out that my sales experience was extremely limited, and he told me that his general policy is never to go for the high-powered, slick, “Sell! Sell! Sell!” kind of people. He was very impressed with my background, as well as my solid communications skills and my history of client services in this office.

So, the next step is that I’ll probably either teleconference with the manager in that office or fly down to DC to meet with her. Keeping my fingers crossed . . .