Tonight I went to a “Gay geeks of NYC” trivia night.
It was really fun and there were a lot of cool questions from all the area of “GEEK”-dom you would expect…comics, sci-fi (NEVER Syfy) TV and film, cartoon sci-fi, fantasy film, video game, but almost nothing from the classics of sci-fi, fantasy and speculative literature.
Yes some “Harry Potter” questions and Sookie Stackhouse stuff, but those are both pieces of lit from the last ten years…and translated into other formats.
I spoke to the people who run the event about the lack of trivia about literature,and they tasked me to come up with some works of literature from the genre of sci-fi, fantasy and speculative fiction.
What I would like to know from people here, what 10-20 works would you suggest. I dont want obscure works. I am looking for 20 book that any “Geek” might have read ( and by boos, I mean series of works like “Harry Potter” or “LOTR”)
Here would be mine
- 2001 - Arthur C Clarke
- Dragons of Pern (original trilogy)
- Starship Troopers (or other Robert A. Heinlein.)
- Startide rising - David Brin
- Some work from Ursula Le Guin (it is a gay Geeks group, so her or Sam Delaney should be mentioned)
- Foundation - Asimov
- Anything from Lankhmar - Fritz Lieber
- Discworld - Terry Pratchet
- LOTR (obviously) - JRR Tolkien
10)Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
- Enders Game - Orson Scott Card (yes I know, he hates us gays, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a great writer)
- any of the following 4 series - More for young readers, but we should have all read them growing up
a) Narnia - CS Lewis
b) Prydain - Lloyd Alexander
c) Dark is Rising - Susan Cooper
d) Murray Family - Madeline L’Engle
- The Fionavar Tapestry - Guy Gavriel Kay (the actual author of the Silmarillion!)
- Known Space - Larry Niven
- Neuromancer - William Gibson
- Dune - Frank Herbert (only his stuff, not his son’s)
- Stephen King - his work is so self referential and crossed over, it would be hard to say just one
Ok, thats just off the top of my head,
A few sets of work I feel wouldn’t work, simply because they might be “Shared world”
Star Wars - The expanded universe -
Dragonlance - Come on, isn’t TSR still trying to flogg that dead horse
Thieves World - it helped created the idea of “shared world”
OK People, let me know what you think , or your list, or why something on my list should be taken off?