I need a green chili recipe

Every work chili contest I’ve been in (all 3), my red chili has won the red chili category. Once it won overall and twice came in second to a green chili. Why did I lose? Partly because this is Colorado where green chili rules. So I’m going to fight them on their own terms. I need the best Colorado green chili recipe you got. Please and thank you.

I like this one:

if you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can still do it the low-n-slow way.

It’s Colorado green chile. A grilled cheese sandwich can win.

All my recipes are for New Mexico green chile. Sorry I can’t help you. :smiley:

Tried that one before. Not even close to what I’m looking for.

No real advice to offer except for the fact that pressure cooked chili never quite pays off for me. Double that for pork based versions. I’m told that the very high heat a pressure cooker is capable of delivering can damage the collagen proteins and negatively change the texture and mouth-feel of the final dish. True or not, I do notice a difference.

Low-n-slow, after properly searing the meat, is the only way for a competition chili, IMHO.

America’s Test Kitchen’s recipe is at least going to be competent: Colorado Green Chili | The Splendid Table

Though get Hatch chiles, if you can. I love the state on state violence in the thread.

EDIT: how hot was your winning red chili? New Mexican Red hot? If so, maybe make a NM version of CO green chili?

A pressure cooker cooks at around 250F. It’s not terribly high heat. What you do have to do with pressure cooker recipes is watch your cooking times, and use less liquid, as very little evaporates.

That said, there’s something about having a nice bowl of stew or chili or whatever simmering on your stove for hours, it’s wonderful aromas filling the house.

I’ve used this one a couple of times, and love it. I add hot peppers such as jalapeno to it, but it’s a good start: https://iamafoodblog.com/this-new-mexico-colorado-hatch-chile-verde-recipe-may-the-best-pork-stew-youve-ever-tasted/

That’s a Kenji Lopez-Alt recipe, so I’ll vouch for it without even making it. His carne adovada is amazing.

I guess the question is what makes a green chile Colorado style as opposed to New Mexican or Mexican chile verde. My knowledge of New Mexican is that it uses Hatch chiles or similar New Mexican chiles, and usually doesn’t use tomatillo. Mexican versions usually have tomatillo. But I’m not sure what the Colorado style is like.

I lived in Colorado for 13 years and I have no clue what the OP means by “Colorado Style Green Chile.” All the green chile I had when I lived in Colorado was pretty much New Mexico Green Chile.

I have actually heard multiple people refer to Colorado green chile, but I never quite figured out what was meant by it.

From what I can see from browsing “chili verde”, “green chili”, “Colorado green chili”, and “hatch chile chili” recipes, most all of them include tomatillos in some form or another. The OP is short on ingredient information. I would also point out that he hasn’t shared his award-winning red recipe.

This, to me, is a pretty standard New Mexico green chile.

Then I guess that’s what I mean. As you can tell I’m a red-man.
I tried it once with tomatillos and it was gritty and I suspect I did not process them right. I’m pretty sure I mean hatch chile chili and it may be exactly the same as NM chili.

Huh. I completely did not notice until re-read that that recipe says “Colorado Style” on it (on a recipe whose html page is titled Hatch New Mexico Green Chile With Pork Recipe.) So now I’m really confused as to what makes it specifically “Colorado style.” Maybe it’s Colorado that doesn’t use the tomatillos as much? I dunno. The way I’ve been taught to do it by a Santa Fe native, it didn’t include tomatillos, but I guess it’s all over the place. The way I’ve had it, it was essentially a green chile sauce made of onions, Hatch (or similar) chiles, sometimes some jalapenos in addition, some cumin and oregano, and then cooked with a bit of flour & broth to thicken. You can then cook pork in it, or you can use it as a sauce on your enchiladas, smothered burritos, or whatnot. Here’s another recipe that is calling itself New Mexico green chili stew that is what I’m familiar with. I’m not sure what makes it different than the “Colorado style” green chili above. ETA: Oh, and sometimes tomatoes in it as well.

this of course reminded me of something from The Naked Gun 2-1/2:

As a person who has spent a lamentably minuscule time in parts of America that have chili or chile, I need help understanding this thread. Basically, I’m confused about two things:

1. Is there a difference between chili and chile?
  2. I can’t tell when you are talking about a spicy meat stew that derived its heat from one or more variety of chili pepper, and when you are talking about the actual fruit. For example, the sentence: “I know you aren’t suppose to put beans in chili but I have a great recipe that uses two pounds of beef, a cup of Anasazi beans, and half a Habanero chili” uses the word both ways.

Help me. This is food-related, so I want to understand.

There’s really not a hard-and-fast rule. Typically, the dish is usually spelled “chili” and the pepper can be chili, chile, or even chilli. “Chili” is the more standard spelling for all uses of the word, but there has been a shift in spelling over the last, I don’t know, decade or two for “chile” to be the spelling of the pepper.

Actually, read through here.

I know I have not been totally consistent myself with the spellings here. With “Chile verde,” I always spell it as “chile” there, but Green Chili I usually (though, as I see I have strayed in this thread) spell “chili” the American English way.

So, in the end, it could be either.

That would be the correct way to spell “chili” for both uses according to most style guides I’m familiar with. I would spell “Habanero chili” as “Habenero chile,” but context makes it clear whether the fruit or stew is meant.

And I don’t think the spelling difference is really that necessary to avoid confusion. Are there places in this thread where it’s unclear which is meant? I’m just curious. I mean, there are other words or phrases in English in which context dictates whether a final dish or an ingredient are meant. Like, for example, “pot roast” can be a cut of meat used to make pot roast, or the dish itself. “Hamburger” in many parts of the US can refer to raw ground beef, or the final sandwich. And I’m sure there are others, but those are the ones that immediately came to mind.