I need a new suit: dark pinstripe or slate gray?

I think that either dark blue or dark gray is the way to go for an all purpose suit that can be used for job interviews.

Tweed is a little too idiosyncratic to be the only suit that you have especially for someone who is in the South where it is hot.

Color me astonished that Sampiro is considering such drab, ordinary colors for his new suit.

For suitable inspiration, I suggest checking out the wardrobes of Canadian hockey analysts.

Something like this would coordinate nicely with charcoal gray:

or

Solid grey, unless you have David Tennant’s figure, in which case pin stripes all the way.

I recently had to buy a suit for a funeral, and I went with the black pinstripes. I think they make me look a little taller/thinner, and i liked the cut and fit of the jacket.

But either one would probably be fine.

I think the solid would be best.

The pinstripe is my personal favorite but I find it inappropriate for funerals, unless it was you who killed the guy.

I’m trying to look like a used car salesman from 1974. :eek:

I have just two general rules that are applicable for buying suits either off the rack or bespoke.

1. Of course you will be wearing a dress shirt and dress shoes when you go suit shopping. Tie and pants are not necessary :wink: , but those two are essential. If you normally wear an undershirt, then wear that too. Now salespeople will sometimes try to get you into a suit that is “comfortable” and to this end will, after you’ve tried on a jacket, get you to do certain movements, like raise your arms above your head, or pull out the front near the buttons to see if there is “enough” room (for what, a heavy lunch?). No. Unless you take meetings on a jungle gym, or are applying for a job as a scarecrow, then you don’t need that kind of movement.* That’s not what “comfortable” should mean. Only the trousers need be comfortable. The jacket on the other hand should fit well, especially around the shoulders and the stomach area. A well fitting jacket should be just easy enough to get on and take off by yourself, but not have any “extra roominess” to it. When people talk about a guy in an ill-fitting suit looking like a sack of potatoes, that is what they are talking about – too much room. If you do happen to have a heavy lunch, that’s what undoing the jacket buttons is for.

2. Lapels. Very important point here. I’m talking about that v-shaped incision in the lapels and where it should be located relative to your collarbones. Perhaps a picture will help.

Low lapels (bad)
http://xpower.knox.edu/theknoxparent/Images/clinton-bill.jpg

High lapels (good)

The lapels can even go higher than in the second image. Generally the higher the better. Witness:

And there you have it!

• See how far McCain has come! :smiley:

[quote=“Isamu, post:28, topic:465301”]

If you do happen to have a heavy lunch, that’s what undoing the jacket buttons is for.

[quote]
If the jacket is so snug around the middle that a big lunch makes it tight, it doesn’t fit right. And you almost never button it anyway, unless you have a double-breasted jacket, which should always be buttoned, or a 4-button jacket, which is too faddish for our OP.

Huh? Sez who? This depends on the style, the shape of the wearer, personal preference.

Am I missing some important detail here? Why not a black (or very dark blue) suit? That seems the most “all-purpose” to me.

Valete,
Vox Imperatoris

Very dark blue is OK but black is too funereal in a non-funeral context. Charcoal gray reads somber for funerals but is a better all-purpose color.

Replace Old Reliable with one much like it. If you’ve felt comfortable in it and it has taken you where you needed to go, then that’s the kind of suit that, um, suits your life.

I have a near fetish for pinstripes, but I’d go for the charcoal grey solid. I love charcoal grey; it’s somber enough for funerals but not quite as severe as black. You can make it look very staid and traditional with a calm tie or funky it up with great colors that will pop against the grey.

The most basic suit is a navy or black suit. Gray can look nice, but is not as versatile or formal as either black or navy. I have one suit: a navy suit with no vents that looks awesome on me and that I’ve worn to everything in the last eight years or so since I got it. My next suit will be a navy or black suit with subtle pinstripes, but I’ll probably also replace the basic navy one I’ve got at the same time. You absolutely can’t go wrong with a conservative, classic color like navy.

Agreed except one thing - if you’re a bit larger in the fundament, then two vents in the back might look better than one. Opposite if smaller in the fundament.

And three button is pretty standard now; I haven’t seen or worn a two-button suit in ages.

Third (or whatever) for solid dark grey / charcoal as the most versatile, but I quite like subtle pinstripes and charcoal + subtle pinstripes is a winner as well. You don’t always need to use blue for pinstripes. Never liked bold pinstripes but YMMV.

Buy a good suit that fits really, really well. Frankly the colour matters much less than the quality and fit. There’s nothing worse than a poor fitting suit.

I would say that it has less to do with your age than your body type.
It’s pretty much your own personal preference and what looks good on you. Bear in mind, however, that a solid suit (basic navy, black or charcoal) will be easier to match with shirts and ties than a striped suit.

Also look at some of these brands for ideas:
Brooks Brothers
Charles Thyrwhitt
Hugo Boss

Don’t listen to these people and buy a black suit. I know you’re in the South like I am and my mama says “Only black people wear plain black suits.” She’s no racist - just observant, because it’s true. Among well-dressed people I’ve seen, the white ones very rarely wear all-black suits. Go ahead, shoot me, I don’t care. Either the charcoal or a subtle pinstripe would be perfect; go with the one that makes you feel most confident.

Black suits are only good for three things, IMO - funerals, evening events like concerts or parties, or FBI agents. Needless to say, none are a look one wants if going to a wedding or a job interview.

ETA - thought of one other. Jehovah’s Witnesses. Again, not a good look for weddings or job interviews.

Yeah, definitely avoid black suit AND skinny tie unless your name is Special Agent Sampiro.