I Need a Recipe for Texas-Style Chili con Carne

I love chili, must have more. But all my attempts to make decent chili in my slow cooker have failed, and failed miserably.

Help me. I want Texas-style chili to come out of my slow cooker. I know the Dope can help me.

Pedernales Chili (an LBJ favorite)

4 lbs. cubed lean beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground oregano
1 tsp. cumin seed
2 Tbs. Gephardt’s chili powder
2 cans Ro-tel tomatoes, #2 size
2 cups beer
salt to taste
Thicken with masa if desired.

Brown meat. Add onion and garlic. Cook 5 minutes. Put all ingredients into crock-pot. Cook on high overnight. Skim fat as needed. Serve with grated cheese, chopped onions, sour cream, or whathaveyou. My common additions are red pepper flakes, Crystal sauce, more chili powder.

Do a search for chili threads. They abound on The Dope.

I don’t know if it would qualify as “Texas” style chili, but it’s easy, and people who have tried it seem to like and always ask for the recipe. This is from the “River Road” cookbook, and was submitted by someone in Louisiana. You can make it hotter by adding more red pepper, or chopping up jalapeno peppers and adding that. The recipe produces a milder, middle of the road chili:
CHILI

1 can of kidney beans (15 or 16 oz.)
1 onion, chopped
½ green pepper, chopped
1 lb. ground beef
1 can of tomato sauce (15 or 16 oz.)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. catsup
2 tsp. brown sugar
dash of paprika
dash of cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
1 to 2 tbsp. chili powder
1 cup of water

Brown onion, green pepper, and meat. Add tomato sauce, water and seasonings. Simmer 15 minutes and taste. Add beans and simmer about 2 hours. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

I recommend you brown the meat separately, and drain that nasty stuff that comes out of the ground meat before you add it to the sauteed onions and bellpepper. Substitute about 2 or 3 tablespoons of whatever oil you prefer for the meat grease.

It doesn’t. Beans belong on the side, not in the chili.

Of course, ask three people their opinion of chili makings and you’ll get 5 answers. :smiley:

I’ve been told that real chili doesn’t contain…

1. beans

2. tomatos

3. meat

So my question is, what’s left? A big pot of spices? :smiley:

Try substituing extra hot Salsa instead of, or with, the chili powder.

And as I hate beans, I agree true chili shouldn’t have them, but the OP did ask for a Chili con Carne recipe, and although I don’t speak Spanish, I know enough to know that means, “with beans”.

Actually, it means “with meat.” Carne = meat. Frijoles = beans.

Carne != frijoles.

Ahem…well, I did say I didn’t speak Spanish…so, uh…I will go away now.
Carry on. Pretend I didn’t say that. Just look the other way.
Ignore the man behind the curtain.

Y’see, that’s the kinds of disagreements that lead me to throw my hands up and instead have the Chile Verde…

But indeed, Texas style chili has no beans, and the meat is cubed, not ground. What can I say, it’sTexas, I’m sure there’s some Aggie hard at work in the lab trying to come up with a sustainable human diet that includes no food products other than those that can be obtained from a cow.