I need a(the) standard Hummus recipe.

I’ve tried a lot of hummus recipes lately, mostly simple ones. However, what I really want is hummus that tastes like the store bought stuff(which tastes the same as any middle-eastern restaurants I’ve eaten at).

Does anyone have a really basic hummus recipe that tastes the same as store bought?

Thanks!

You’re eating at the wrong places if the restaurant hummus tastes the same as prepackaged hummus. I find that homemade hummus has a fresh flavor and smoothness that can’t be replicated by store bought hummus.

I use a super basic recipe, and I am probably heavy handed with the lemon juice:

1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas
3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

Combine drained chickpeas and remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend the shit out of it until it is really, really smooth. Enjoy.

My recipe:

one 29oz. can chick peas, drained
one half cup olive oil
one third cup lemon juice
one teaspoon kosher salt
one half teaspoon ground black pepper
one bulb roasted garlic

Peel one full bulb of garlic. Wrap in foil with a tablespoon of olive oil, and roast in a toaster oven at 350 for 45 minutes. Cool and add to your hummus before processing.

I don’t use any tahini. Sometimes I add roasted red peppers.

This is the restaurant I’m referring to. It’s located in Dearborn and is quite authentic.

I find that the restaurant versions use more tahini than the standard home recipes.

http://allrecipes.com/search/default.aspx?qt=k&wt=hummus&rt=r&origin=Home%20Page

The above link is to hummus recipes at my favorite recipe website, allrecipes.com . Some appear basic, some are embellished with extra ingredients to give different flavors.

I haven’t really made hummus myself, I buy it at a food coop that has some good stuff.