I need help. How does one freshen a dog's breath. Like ACK!

In one of the more practical threads I think I shall post in my lifetime . . .

My roommate’s dog’s breath reeks. It can stop a truck. “Winston” is a great dog - a collie - intelligent, energetic, playful, loyal, but has really nasty breath.

I have to tell the poor pup to go upstairs because he’ll breathe, and the flora of the room will die. He does have teeth problems. They tend to fall out easily, and his gums bleed a lot. Now, I’m not sure if this is some canine gingivitis, but I gotta solve this.

Seriously. I need help. I love this dog, but his nasty breath has got to go . . .
Tripler
Milk bones don’t cut it. I need industrial strength.

First of all, poor Winston should get to the vet. (February was national pet dental month. :D)

Second, since I started feeding an entirely raw diet, my old dog’s ghastly breath and poor dental health have dramatically improved, as has her overall health. So much so that last month on her regular annual the vet was amazed at how good she (& her teeth) look. No teeth cleaning this year needed.

If your roomie is interested in changing diet, email me. Milk bones won’t do a thing, that’s just a marketing myth.

Any particular ingredients in that raw diet?

Go to the vet and get its teeth cleaned. Plus, if its teeth are falling out, and there’s bleeding, theres something else wrong that would need to be looked at.

Had that happen with roomie’s old dog. Once it got a couple of teeth pulled and its mouth treated, its breath got better. Still dog breath, but better.

as a former vet tech, yes to all of the above. Also ask your vet about CHX-Guard Gel (good for gums and has a minty smell) and have someone show you how to brush Winston’s teeth.

Teeth brushing is a great way to get rid of, or at least lessen, chronic bad doggie breath. Most any pet store should have canine toothpaste and brushes (either a regular-type brush, or ones that fit on your finger). But I wouldn’t recommend going straight at it… a dog with tooth problems is unlikely to tolerate that. I’d start massaging his gums and teeth with my fingers every now and then over a few days (yucky? yes… just remember to wash your hands before eating :)), then see how he takes a finger brush, then maybe a regular brush.

Also, there are toys, like Denta-ring (IIRC; not entirely sure about the name) that are basically cardboard rings coated with a flavored sandpaper-like material… I’ve seen dogs go crazy over them. They gnaw and gnaw at them and the rough junk does a good job cleaning their teeth and freshening their breath.

But if your pup’s teeth are falling out, you need to get the poor guy to a vet, asap.

One of the common raw food diets is called the B.A.R.F. diet (bones and raw food)

http://www.barfers.com/

By all means take the dog to the vet, asap. Bleeding gums means infection can enter the blood stream, and then not only will you have a dog with bad breath, you’ll have one with heart disease.

Also, before going to the raw foods diet, check with the vet. No vet I have ever worked with would recommend it. It tends to be a more holistic sort of thing that most mainstream vets don’t advise. The choice is ultimately up to you.

Toss them an Altoids…Maggie begs for them …

(don’t worry, she gets maybe 1 a week…)

Feed 'em lots and lots of beefarino or hormel chili. The head end will soon smell so much better by comparison.

Ditto on the vet comments. My Lou-baby’s breath (age 12)smelled like something rotten all the time until the vet gave her teeth a real good cleaning. She did it under sedation while she was having some other things done and it made a huge difference.

My other dog, Buck (age 4) on the other hand ate a whole little bottle of that concentrated breath freshener–you know the kind that comes in a tiny 1/10 ounce bottle. I don’t know if he got it on his face fur or what but he had minty fresh breath for days.

Hey everyone, thanks for the help.

Seems like the Vet is the only one to be able to deal with this. If only I could find a vet in town that can deal with this stinkiness.

My roommate comes off alert tomorrow, so I’ll ask him what’s up. I can say that Winston is fed a strict diet of plain dry dog food. Anything else would tear the poor guy up internally. Could this be a digestive problem?

Tripler
Poor fellah. No wonder why he can’t find any ladies. Oh, wait, he’s fixed too . . .