I need MUSIC for an 800 mile road trip

Well, I’ll be moving soon and I desperately need some new music for the 800mile road trip. What bands/songs should I consider purchasing? Here’s a brief list of some of my favorite groups:

ACDC
Aerosmith
Guns n Roses
Led Zeppelin
Nirvana
Pink Floyd (though I’ve only heard a few of their songs, any suggestions of their’s would be great)
Rush

What else should I consider?

I actually recommend mixing in some audio-books. They can frequently hold the attention far longer than music, because of getting involved in the plot and characters.

Looking at your sample playlist, I’d consider these as well:

[ul]
[li]Alice in Chains[/li][li]Black Sabbath[/li][li]Cinderella[/li][li]Def Leppard[/li][li]Emerson, Lake and Palmer[/li][li]Genesis (the early “prog” years)[/li][li]Metallica (don’t go past the Black Album, though)[/li][li]Smashing Pumpkins[/li][li]Stone Temple Pilots[/li][li]Van Halen (pre-Hagar)[/li][li]White/Rob Zombie[/li][li]Yes[/li][/ul]

:smack: Ooops, I didn’t mean to quote you in my reply, this being the FIRST reply…It’s been a long time since I’ve posted here and forgot how the buttons worked.

Looking at your sample playlist, I’d consider these as well:

[ul]
[li]Alice in Chains[/li][li]Black Sabbath[/li][li]Cinderella[/li][li]Def Leppard[/li][li]Emerson, Lake and Palmer[/li][li]Genesis (the early “prog” years)[/li][li]Metallica (don’t go past the Black Album, though)[/li][li]Smashing Pumpkins[/li][li]Stone Temple Pilots[/li][li]Van Halen (pre-Hagar)[/li][li]White/Rob Zombie[/li][li]Yes[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]Eagles (essential road trip music)[/li][li]Golden Earring (from such hits as Twilight Zone and Radar Love, I would reccomend their live album Naked Truth [/li][li]Jethro Tull’s A Passion Play (check out the Amazon page for more info on that)[/li][li]Love’s Forever Changes (A woefully underrated album, again, check the Amazon samples to see if they fit your taste)[/li][li]And finally check out the Kink’s album The Village Green Preservation Society for some rolling tunes[/li][/ul]

Hope I could help :wink:

Who’s Next – I don’t especially like them but it’s the essential road trip album (sorry Trist.)

I gotta second this, even though you did ask for music. With that long a drive, you’ll start to get sick of music after a while, and want to hear something different. I prefer to hear audiobook versions of things I’ve already read (albeit something I read long enough ago that it’s a little fuzzy in my memory). That way if you can’t pay attention for a few minutes because of a tough spot of traffic, you don’t have to immediately rewind to catch a little plot point you might have missed.

Pixies (esp. Surfer Rosa)
The Replacements (esp. Pleased To Meet Me, which is brash and loud and very good)
Firehose (esp. their Live Totem Pole EP)
early-mid-period XTC (esp. **Black Sea ** and The Big Express)
Lenny Kravitz (esp. Are You Gonna Go My Way?)
The The (esp. NakedSelf, his noisiest, hardest-rocking work)

One of my favourite road trip albums is “Scenery and Fish” by I Mother Earth. I never got into any of the rest of their albums, but I love that one. “Used To Be Alright” is a great driving song.

99 Luftballons on endless loop. I reckon you could actually get people to sponsor you! :smiley:

I’m a big fan of Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphy. They’re kind of Irish-punk, it’s about all I listen to.

Also old school Hank Williams Jr. And Phish! I have eclectic tastes in music.

Are you going to actually listen to the music, or is it going to be background noise?

If you’re going to listen, I’d suggest “Quadrophenia” instead.

If you do decide to go with “Who’s Next”, take the deluxe edition.

(hey, wait a minute, how can you NOT take “Live at Leeds” along for the ride?)

I did a solo road trip from downtown Los Angeles to Charlotte, NC in 1985 with nothing but a Bryan Adams cassette.

You’ll make it…I did. :slight_smile:

Jammer

Sometimes a good movie soundtrack can capture a moment or mood. For roadtrips, I really like the Easy Rider, Almost Famous, and Dazed and Confused soundtracks.

Another vote for some audiobooks, for a 800 mile trip, or 12 hours, music alone can become like a chinese water torture.

If you want to go the audiobook route, which it doesn’t seem like you are, but anyway just a FYI, Cracker Barrel rents them (well you buy them and get a partial refund when you return them - the refund is based on how long you have it IIRC it’s about $5 for a week) and allows you to return them to any Cracker Barrel.

Good luck

For road trips - must have Meat Loaf’s “Bat Out of Hell” cd’s. A really good audio book to get a change of pace helps.

Another recommendation for audiobooks. Well, actually, for dramatizations – with music, dialogue and sound effects instead of just a reader. I once made a 700 mile drive playing the 13 hour BBC adaptation of The Lord of the Rings the whole way. It really made the miles fly by.

Kizarvexius stole my idea. There is always the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy radio dramas.

Brian

I too would suggest audiobooks. A good unabridged book can easily kill 10 hours or more. Audible.com has downloadable audiobooks at reasonable prices. Well actually, they are kind of expensive if you buy titles individually, but the subscription rate is reasonable. Their copyright protection is very reasonable and easy to live with. (You don’t even have to back up your purchased files because you can download previously purchased files again any time.)

Satellite radio is good too. Lots of news, sports and talk radio (left-wing talk radio too!) in addition to music.